Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 05:41 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,146,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
. For that price range why not look at Rotonda or Englewood, maybe South Gulf Cove, .

and build new.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 09:46 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,271,528 times
Sunshine offers some good alternatives .. IIRC water front and the boating life, isnt high on your bucket list..So then it might come down to what are you comfortable with , when it comes to paying taxes and home owners insurance, year after year.. Friends of ours are thinking about coming down... They have the possibility of spending twice for their house than we did , but they have very close to the same yearly income as we do. Taxes and Insurance on a $400K home in PGI versus what we have that is now assesed at $220K in PC would make them much tighter on what they could spend day to day than we are.. unless you buy at the height of a bubble, taxes and insurance cost never go down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
and build new.....

Old 04-16-2015, 09:58 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Northport also gets high marks just check out home insurance which is hard to get. also if needed flood insurance rates are going up so be sure this you look into. Tarpon Springs and the new tampa area also are nice. New Tampa does have lots of new homes which started in 1999 and is a nice area. Insurance if in pasco also is cheaper since it is further from the water.

Last edited by maggiekate; 04-16-2015 at 10:12 AM..

Old 04-16-2015, 10:33 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
Default home insurance which is hard to get

I don't know where this comes from. I recently purchased a home in Punta Gorda and had almost 10 quotes for homeowners insurance in 2 to 3 days.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:44 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,301,876 times
Come down several times over the course of a year. Come down in July-August. Make sure you can deal with it (we can. We love it... Its also less populated as snowbirds head North).

Mike

Old 04-16-2015, 03:22 PM

12 posts, read 16,321 times
Thank you all for your thoughts! We will be coming down in mid august for exactly that reason. If they can like Florida in August they will love it other times of the year. We hope to view homes in Englewood, Punta Gorda, Cape Coral, and Bonita Springs. I figured Bonita would be more expensive but while all of you are telling me that 325k is not enough for close to new I see numerous 2 to 3 bedrooms in Bonita even brand new for mid ot high 200's. I realize you can prob tack on an extra 50k for upgrades but still am I off or is Bonita Springs more affordable then I expected. I spoke to my parents last night and they do LOVE everything you descibed about Punta Gorda expect distance to beach. Perhaps they can find a development with a pool. Thanks again I will update you as we get closer to the trip.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:12 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,146,653 times
you can get a nice pool home in Rotonda for under $325000. I know cos I am building about 10 of them :-)

Old 04-16-2015, 05:19 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,271,528 times
Its ONLY IMHO but that that makes a LOT of sense to me at least..Its NOT PG but its not PG taxes either.. Just visit if ya want to Insureance isnt going to get any cheaper than on a New Home..Beaches are close .. Shopping is just as good as anywhere.. It just makes a lot of sense from what the OP has offered.. As for new homes hovering around $200K thats a Family market and we all had them and came from them but do you want to live among them, when your retired?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
you can get a nice pool home in Rotonda for under $325000. I know cos I am building about 10 of them :-)

Old 04-17-2015, 09:30 PM

12 posts, read 16,321 times
Well looked through my first email of listings and found more that met our needs in Port Charlotte and Rotunda. A few in Venice and Punta Gorda and a few in Northport. A few I liked in is it Placida? Are these areas a lot worse then Punta?

Old 04-18-2015, 04:33 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,774,924 times
You're going to get lots of differing opinions. I live in PC for affordability but absolutely love PG and all it offers. If they could consider stepping up in price, I think they'd be very happy there...the most happy, based on your description of their wants.

I'm worried about your decision to bring them in August though. You say, if they can love it then, they can love it always. So take the worst winter weather they had in Boston this year...would you recommend I come on that day to get an idea of what living there is like?
They are going to visit here at the worst time. I tell my friends/family...don't come for the first time in July/August cuz you'll never come back.

The rest of the year is really nice, with October-April being just wonderful weather but the humidity in August may scare one of them beyond your expectations. I will be watching this thread with an interest to see how this plays out. I hope they love it here, as we do.

PS - forget about Bonita and Ft Myers. Erase them from your thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte