Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 04:47 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,632,825 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't rule anything out until you visit the areas.

If your parents can do it, I think it would be invaluable to get a short term rental perhaps a month.

That would give them the time to really get a good idea of the pros and cons of each areas the believe they are interested in.

Gary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 05:54 PM

325 posts, read 507,944 times
I may be wrong but I think the houses are on the market longer now because it is "out of season".
I came here June 2014 to look around. I drug my real estate guy around for a month, always going back to PGI. I wanted to be on a canal and be within 10 minutes to the open water. I talked to a lot of RE people and settled on one that knew the waterways and travel times out to the harbor. Between me not wanting to take a chance of buying a home then have someone move in next door with 15 broken down cars, and him telling me that for my circumstances PGI was the go to area, that's where I bought. After being in my home for a year he was right.
Don't get me wrong there are great places other than PGI, I did not want to take the chance of having any problems down the road so to speak.
As it is now I am 5 minutes from open water and only 1 13 ft. to go under.
I have lived in HOA's before and I find living in PGI a very nice experience. Just as an example I moved my self in the largest Penske truck they had, and the people I had hired to help unload flaked out on me and the truck sat in my drive for 7 days and no one said a word.
The things that helped me make up my mind was less crime in PGI and has 2 police dept's. patrolling the area. The HOA but it is not that bad, I would like to be able to park a boat trailer in the drive but I can live with that. The last was that when I am gone I think it will be easier for my daughter to sell and it should go up in value more in PGI.

If you have any question you cam PM me I will be happy to help.

Good luck to your parents.

Clint

Old 07-13-2015, 07:39 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,005,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmac56 View Post
Well in a little over a month we make our trip down. I am actually up in boston this week for U2 concerts and helping the parents eliminate the clutter to prepare the boston house for market. We have narrowed down to about 30 properties (still about 15 too many) that we are interested in. I would say the florida properties are staying on the market a lot longer then I had expected which is good for us as the Boston market is still rapid fire. We have found more then enough homes that meet their criteria in the 250 to 360 k price range so everyone is pretty excited. I think end of day it will be Punta Gorda, Rotunda, or Venice. Even though their favorite homes were found in Port Charlotte the more I read about South Cove I think that might be out.
We can swing through South Gulf Cove and see one or two places just to give you a snapshot of the area, as it's on the way from Rotonda to Punta Gorda. If they like it, we can spend more time out there. If not, we move on... Some folks love SGC, other don't. Same with any town/neighborhood.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:03 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,447,826 times
For short term rentals consider the manufactured home developments. It is off season and there are a lot available. These often rent month to month for summer vacationers.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:04 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,153,717 times
two words.....buy new :-)

Old 07-14-2015, 06:39 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,825,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
two words.....buy new :-)
Are they the words of a builder
Hahaha

Old 07-14-2015, 06:40 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,153,717 times
Whyever would you say that ????

Old 07-14-2015, 07:54 AM

165 posts, read 336,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
Couldn't agree more!
Look up SoFlGal for realtor needs! Everyone here has great things to say about her!
Totally agree about SoFlGal. She helped us so very, very much when we bought in Rotonda in 2010 and she wasn't even our realtor. She knows the SWFL area inside and out. Seek out her assistance; you won't regret it.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:55 PM

66 posts, read 64,098 times
My wife and I made 2 scouting trips until we discovered South Gulf Cove. We reviewed over 120 lots before we found our perfect lot. Actually two as we bought back to back corner lots on a U shaped circle. We can't imagine building anywhere else. Just to give you an idea, there are over 15,000 lots in SGC and only a few thousand have houses on them. Plenty of choices. All of the great things everyone is saying about PG, well you're not that far away from there. We currently live in NJ and we no longer want to be close to everything. Noise, traffic, major highways, etc. We cannot wait until our new home is finished (Jan I hope).

Bill J

Old 07-21-2015, 01:04 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,305,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dobiedude View Post
I may be wrong but I think the houses are on the market longer now because it is "out of season".
I came here June 2014 to look around. I drug my real estate guy around for a month, always going back to PGI. I wanted to be on a canal and be within 10 minutes to the open water. I talked to a lot of RE people and settled on one that knew the waterways and travel times out to the harbor. Between me not wanting to take a chance of buying a home then have someone move in next door with 15 broken down cars, and him telling me that for my circumstances PGI was the go to area, that's where I bought. After being in my home for a year he was right.
Don't get me wrong there are great places other than PGI, I did not want to take the chance of having any problems down the road so to speak.
As it is now I am 5 minutes from open water and only 1 13 ft. to go under.
I have lived in HOA's before and I find living in PGI a very nice experience. Just as an example I moved my self in the largest Penske truck they had, and the people I had hired to help unload flaked out on me and the truck sat in my drive for 7 days and no one said a word.
The things that helped me make up my mind was less crime in PGI and has 2 police dept's. patrolling the area. The HOA but it is not that bad, I would like to be able to park a boat trailer in the drive but I can live with that. The last was that when I am gone I think it will be easier for my daughter to sell and it should go up in value more in PGI.

If you have any question you cam PM me I will be happy to help.

Good luck to your parents.

Clint
The above is a clone of my wife and Is experience and thoughts

(...except we are a bit longer putt-putt to open water, watching the poachers cut drama unfold...)

Mike G
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte