Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 07:40 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,631,008 times

Advertisements

Well after a 19 hour drive with an almost 13 year old shepard I arrived in Punta Gorda at 330am. I get off to a quick start this morning and put on my old boat shoes that were in the closet. I stepped on something in the shoe that didn't feel good. It was a Palmetto bug larger than a silver dollar. Yuck. Next start taken down the frobt door shutters to find a snake that made a nest at the base. Did I mention the 3 wasp nest also.

Now I go to the back sliding door shutters to take them down. A large critter bolts by me as I'm on my hands and knees taken off the wing nuts for the shutters. He had a huge nest behind the shutters. Geckos all over. It's a jungle down here. This city boy is off to a fun day. A six pack on ice at the pool for lunch sounds good. Anyone else have anything to share when they arrived back after being away for months.

Last edited by JERSEY MAN; 10-14-2015 at 07:55 AM..

Old 10-14-2015, 07:47 AM

390 posts, read 609,762 times
They protect and watch your house while you were away....

Old 10-14-2015, 07:54 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,555,469 times
LOL - welcome to Florida son! Glad you made it safely! As for the bugs.... get someone in there and spray. We have a contract with a company (Massey) and I haven't see a bug in the house or on the lanai... (knock on wood) but if I do, they said to call 'em.

Snake? <shudder> and clue what kind?

Anyhow, welcome to the neighborhood. The weather sux doesn't it?

Old 10-14-2015, 07:57 AM

222 posts, read 202,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Well after a 19 hour drive with an almost 13 year old shepard I arrived in Punta Gorda at 330am. I get off to a quick start this morning and put on my old boat shoes that were in the closet. I stepped on something in the shoe that didn't feel good. It was a Palmetto bug larger than a silver dollar. Yuck. Next start taken down the frobt door shutters to find a snake that made a nest at the base. Did I mention the 3 wasp nest also.

Now I go to the back sliding door shutters to take them down. A large critter bolts by me as I'm on my hands and knees taken off the wing nuts for the shutters. He had a huge nest behind the shutters. Geckos all over. It's a jungle down here. This city boy is off to a fun day.

OMG! I know to you it must not be funny, but you made me laugh. I guess us city folk have to get use to having critters around. But I am not sure I like the snake part. How long has it been since your last visit?

Old 10-14-2015, 08:26 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,966,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinNYC View Post
OMG! I know to you it must not be funny, but you made me laugh. I guess us city folk have to get use to having critters around. But I am not sure I like the snake part. How long has it been since your last visit?
Snakes keep the rats at bay :-))

Old 10-14-2015, 08:40 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,554,801 times
My next door neighbor always finds the slimy green frogs behind his shutters when he takes them down.

I don't know how this happened, but one time my boyfriend and I woke up in the middle of the night and he felt something cold on his face. He thought I was being funny and put an ice cube on him. Well we turned on the light and it was one of those slimy green frogs stuck to his face. Not sure how it got in the house. I am thinking maybe one of the dogs brought it in. But it could have come in through the open slider too, you never know around here what you will run into.

I can tell you stories and stories about bugs, critters and animals that my two beagles get into. Never a dull moment around here.

Welcome back to FL Jersey Man and all the others on their way!

Old 10-14-2015, 08:44 AM

493 posts, read 637,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post

Now I go to the back sliding door shutters to take them down. A large critter bolts by me as I'm on my hands and knees taken off the wing nuts for the shutters. He had a huge nest behind the shutters. Geckos all over. It's a jungle down here. This city boy is off to a fun day. A six pack on ice at the pool for lunch sounds good. Anyone else have anything to share when they arrived back after being away for months.
Bobby, i'm sure Gary can tell you stories of how beer goes missing from his fridge when he's gone. Some of those critters are pretty clever. Mark

Old 10-14-2015, 08:47 AM

222 posts, read 202,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
Snakes keep the rats at bay :-))
RATS! ARE YOU KIDDING! Make note to myself....as soon as I arrive get an exterminator! We have water rats here (NY) but they NEVER come near the house they stay on the bulkhead! I have NEVER seen a snake here either! We do have possums (destroyed the inside of our boat)and raccoons, that's about it! I guess living in Florida is going to be a little challenging with all the new critters to watch out for!

Old 10-14-2015, 09:01 AM

249 posts, read 321,913 times
Welcome back Jersey Man. Did you enjoy the welcoming committees we arranged for you?

Old 10-14-2015, 09:05 AM

704 posts, read 772,447 times
I guess the frog in the bathroom @ 4 a.m. or the black racer on the lanai are my best stories to date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte