Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2016, 03:25 PM

98 posts, read 96,595 times

Advertisements

I've seen numerous posts about South Gulf Cove, but not too much about Gulf Cove north of Foreman Blvd.

What is the general consensus of opinions on this area? There seem to be quite a few reasonably priced homes and empty lots available. Are there issues an outsider wouldn't know about? How's the phone, cable, internet, water and sewer service and costs compared to other areas around PC / Englewood? Ideally, I'd like to get 2 connected lots or an existing house on a larger lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 05:04 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,784,883 times
I looked at moving there many yeas ago the biggest difference I saw was South Gulf cove has a much larger canal system then gulf cove.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:28 PM

3,179 posts, read 5,999,012 times
I personally like the seclusion of Gulf Cove, yet is has quick access to everything within 5-15 minutes. If you're looking to be on the water, the canals are all quick access to the river, but it is quite a hike down to Boca by boat where the pretty water is.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:53 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,147,419 times
I am building 4 homes in GC and its quite a challenge. the land is low(er) lying and gets quite wet. we have struggled to start builds due to the standing water.

Lots are cheap compared to other areas, they do in the majority need clearing and almost all are on septic. City water seems to be sporadic.

Its nice and quiet and you can get some real bargains there. You have to be east of Gillot to get decent access to the Myakka but of course those lots cost more

Old 09-01-2016, 04:28 PM

57 posts, read 63,328 times
Some lots do not have water or power to them. Be sure it has both as its cost prohibitive to bring it in. I looked at one lot before I had my home built on this one with water and electric. Charlotte county wanted $16000 to bring it from the corner to the second lot from there. 160 feet ($1000 a foot)as they make you take the pipe to the far side of the lot. You don't want a well either due to salt intrusion. Check lot for scrub jay restrictions as well.

I've been here almost two years now and it's quite in my area and not congested. Also we are in a x zone and have no problem with the rain on our lot even with the tremendous amount of rain we've had this week.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:38 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,914,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotEnufGarage View Post
I've seen numerous posts about South Gulf Cove, but not too much about Gulf Cove north of Foreman Blvd.

What is the general consensus of opinions on this area? There seem to be quite a few reasonably priced homes and empty lots available. Are there issues an outsider wouldn't know about? How's the phone, cable, internet, water and sewer service and costs compared to other areas around PC / Englewood? Ideally, I'd like to get 2 connected lots or an existing house on a larger lot.
The homes are generally lower priced then neighboring South Gulf Cove, especially non water lots. I know a few people who live out there dont have any issue with any utility services. Latham, Forbes, Cooper Terr and the other water streets are all great locations right on the Myakka River. If you live off water they have a little community boat ramp for the GC residents for a small annual fee. There have been 41 sales in there in that area in the last 6 months with the average sale right around $200K.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:17 PM

112 posts, read 184,415 times
I have a friend who lives in Gulf Cove and I spend a lot of time at his house. He is not on a canal and his lanai faces David, but except for the occasional crotch rocket, race car or good old boy truck zooming up/down David it is relevantly quiet. Using the GC Boat-ramp is sweet. He had a 21' walk around that we've launched there many times. He now has a flats boat that is mostly launched there now. Never ran into many other ramp users in or out of season.

Like most of the surrounding areas Comcast, Centurylink or one of the dishes are available. He has city water and a newer (2005) septic system. I believe his yearly contract to pump/inspect his septic cost him $200. to $300. yearly vs my (Rotonda) city sewer cost of about $600.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:17 AM

98 posts, read 96,595 times
Thanks for all the insight. Looks like there's a lot to consider. The cheap lots look tempting, but less so with all these factors.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:22 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,621,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotEnufGarage View Post
Thanks for all the insight. Looks like there's a lot to consider. The cheap lots look tempting, but less so with all these factors.
I liked Gulf Cove a lot. Went up and down the waterfront lot streets many times. Made an offer on a foreclosure but lost out a few years back. Nice and private and lots of woods in there. Not to far from the gulf by land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte