Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 08:59 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,199,282 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had a chance to look at the new homes at Babcock Ranch? I read they had their founders opening day the other week. It looks like an interesting community to consider in 5 to 10 years but I'm always leery about investing in these things in the infant stage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 05:41 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,107 times
IMO, just way overpriced. Two builders are building typical homes, one builder that is affiliated with the developer is building using panelized construction (exterior construction using plywood with foam insulation -like building a igloo cooler home). These are very efficient energy-wise.

Having seen development like this, I would buy on a resale level, not new. Lots of 'new car' hype.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:43 AM

149 posts, read 140,849 times
This community is exciting! The projects that are complete, so far, are really great for families. There are lots of trails for bikes and running... bird watching... etc. They have a community garden, kayaks and canoes available for the lake outside of the main community hall. The restaurant has an organic themed menu with great outdoor seating and open air bar. The community has 5 builders. The plans are for the community to have homes, such as other planned communities, to have townhomes, condo's and larger homes up to and over 4,000 sq feet.

The models that are open are gorgeous! The prices for the new construction homes are in the 300's and up... they are large homes! The smallest square footage for one of the builders is 2800 sq feet. I believe for what you are getting and the size... it is worth the money.

The community is close to I75, airports and easy commute into Fort Myers........ without having the "in city" feeling. I believe they are on track to develop a beautiful, sustainable community.

Let me know if I can answer anymore questions about the community.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:34 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,148,424 times
according to the website , smallest home is a 2000 sq ft 2 bed starting at $350000 !! a 2500 sf 3 bed starts at $400000, no mention of lot premiums, pool costs or of course the ubiquitous upgrades...want to bet you will be shelling out a lot more than the base price ??

Old 04-12-2017, 09:49 AM

14,941 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
IMO, just way overpriced. Two builders are building typical homes, one builder that is affiliated with the developer is building using panelized construction (exterior construction using plywood with foam insulation -like building a igloo cooler home). These are very efficient energy-wise.

Having seen development like this, I would buy on a resale level, not new. Lots of 'new car' hype.
Another bit of Florida wilderness developed to the hilt.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:00 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,199,282 times
One thing I didn't understand was how the "solar powered" sustainable community worked. I figured the sales pitch was lower electric bills but apparently not! FPL will charge the same utility rates as everyone else and use excess energy elsewhere in their system. Seems more of a sales gimmick. If the developers worked out a deal with FPL where Babcock residents get a significant discount on rates, it would be extremely attractive.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:11 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,255,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Another bit of Florida wilderness developed to the hilt.
This...^^^^^^. And the answer to the question of when does it all end is never. As long as there is a clump of trees or an acre of bare land somewhere the general feeling is that it must be destroyed so more houses can be built. Enough is never enough when there are $$$ involved.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:56 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,107 times
The land was purchased back in 2006 just before the bust. A big chunk was donated back to preserve state, been setting fallow for a decade. Road access is limited, a single two-lane road connecting to SH 80 out of Fort Myers. If it builds up, they are going to have to widen the road big time.

Wife and I visited during the open house, toured the homes. IMO, touted to appeal to northerners who are selling their homes and have a big chunk of change in their pockets, not knowing the overall market. A lot of 'blue sky'. You want to spend $400K plus, you can get a lot more bang for the buck elsewhere.

That being said, I see $400K homes being sold in the Venice/North Port area but these are in gated developments, with golf courses, etc. but again they are being sold to northerners...well, you get the picture.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:34 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,148,424 times
we just sold all 3 of our spec homes we had for sale, each very close to or just over $400k, Restrain, you should come and have a look at what 400k CAN buy you...private tour offered :-)

Old 04-16-2017, 07:40 PM

407 posts, read 828,636 times
Hope it takes off! Charlotte County needs help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte