Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 04:15 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyraAngelyn View Post
Nope, a second floor Master Bedroom Suite without another Master Bedroom Suite on the FIRST FLOOR, is a kiss of death in adding value to any Florida home.

Most buyers (adults) on the secondary market do not want to climb stairs to go to bed.

Other bedrooms upstairs is or can be a non-issue.

I would say never intentionally build a house here in FL with all bedrooms upstairs...bad move !
Exactly, that was the first and foremost option that we did not want. No more climbing and the fact that it is about 10 degrees hotter on the second floor adds up to not a good mix for us and many others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2021, 05:41 PM

73 posts, read 119,050 times
Default By The Way...

A few screenshots (Zillow and Realtor.com) showing recent sales, filtered for multi-level homes only. Not every buyer is limited to single-level homes, and apparently, there are a few who are not put off by the thought of walking up a flight of stairs. Possibly a younger demographic, or maybe people who want to enjoy the view. Hardly the kiss of death.
Attached Thumbnails
Second Floor Additions-screen-shot-2021-11-09-3.06.13   Second Floor Additions-screen-shot-2021-11-09-7.31.53  

Old 11-11-2021, 09:02 AM

38 posts, read 37,258 times
Believe what you wish. It's your house! or house-to-be

I can share with you, no sensible builder, esp spec, knows not to build, i.e. new-build a two-story house with every single bedroom on the second level.

If they build even a custom house that the owner contracts him to build (in Florida) to make sure there is at least one large bedroom on the first level. Of course he'll build the house any way you want and take your money, but he knows it's fundamentally a marketing/re-sale/valuation mistake - a big one!

I mean, some people simply adore mansard-style roofs like in northern states or in Europe. You'd have to be an idiot to build that style of a roof here for many good reasons.

Others may want to build a lovely wood siding/shake house - another stupid move in Florida.

Still others may just love those beautiful double-hung, paned all wood Anderson windows and sliders, and front doors - another moronic move.

To each his own. Everyone has the right to make stupid mistakes.

Old 11-11-2021, 05:59 PM

1,151 posts, read 616,854 times
If you are on the open water of the harbor, that does change things in my opinion. You seem to allude to that in a post here. If you are on open water, your flood insurance will be less building higher. If you build on piers, your house will be up and you probably won’t find a builder to finish the lower level “garage”. I seem to recall that my builder said there would be a code problem in doing that. If he is right, which I highly suspect, a code problem such as that could be a problem when it comes time to sell. You’d have to finish the “garage” afterwards.

If you are the open harbor, I think it would be wise to build on piers.

Old 11-12-2021, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stank1964 View Post
If you are on the open water of the harbor, that does change things in my opinion. You seem to allude to that in a post here. If you are on open water, your flood insurance will be less building higher. If you build on piers, your house will be up and you probably won’t find a builder to finish the lower level “garage”. I seem to recall that my builder said there would be a code problem in doing that. If he is right, which I highly suspect, a code problem such as that could be a problem when it comes time to sell. You’d have to finish the “garage” afterwards.

If you are the open harbor, I think it would be wise to build on piers.
Thank you, Sir, your "reputation status" is well deserved. The initial question posed: "Are these allowed in Port Charlotte? Making a second floor on a single-floor home," asked and answered, without invective. I do appreciate your comments, and you've managed to salvage this group member's decision to stay around for a while and dismiss the gadflies.

Old 11-12-2021, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyraAngelyn View Post
Believe what you wish. It's your house! or house-to-be

I can share with you, no sensible builder, esp spec, knows not to build, i.e. new-build a two-story house with every single bedroom on the second level.

If they build even a custom house that the owner contracts him to build (in Florida) to make sure there is at least one large bedroom on the first level. Of course he'll build the house any way you want and take your money, but he knows it's fundamentally a marketing/re-sale/valuation mistake - a big one!

I mean, some people simply adore mansard-style roofs like in northern states or in Europe. You'd have to be an idiot to build that style of a roof here for many good reasons.

Others may want to build a lovely wood siding/shake house - another stupid move in Florida.

Still others may just love those beautiful double-hung, paned all wood Anderson windows and sliders, and front doors - another moronic move.

To each his own. Everyone has the right to make stupid mistakes.
You left out building an igloo, yurt, and tee-pee in your list of "stupid mistakes."

Old 11-12-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeylimeSteve View Post
Thank you, Sir, your "reputation status" is well deserved. The initial question posed: "Are these allowed in Port Charlotte? Making a second floor on a single-floor home," asked and answered, without invective. I do appreciate your comments, and you've managed to salvage this group member's decision to stay around for a while and dismiss the gadflies.
In short, why don't you simply pick up the phone and speak with a qualified county engineer in the Building department of Charlotte County or any other county in which you're contemplating a renovation.

It beats asking daft questions on the internet, and a helluva lot more informative and accurate, and can save you time and less aggravation !

Call the County Building/Permitting Department !

https://www.charlottecountyfl.gov/de...-construction/

Good luck !

Old 11-13-2021, 03:29 AM

190 posts, read 259,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stank1964 View Post
One out of a 1000 single, free standing houses here have a 2nd floor. Why do you think you need one? You’re going to have to sell it one day.
If you drive through South Gulf Cove you'll find that your "one out of thousand" number is way off base. There are quite a few high end, multi-story homes here.

Old 11-13-2021, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana Daz View Post
If you drive through South Gulf Cove you'll find that your "one out of thousand" number is way off base. There are quite a few high end, multi-story homes here.
Quoted from Apocolypse Now: "I love the smell of hyperbole in the morning." Cheers.

Old 11-14-2021, 10:07 AM

Of course there are multi story houses that are built, but very very FEW with all bedrooms upstairs, most long time residents and buyers should rarely if ever, build or buy a house with the Master and all other bedrooms on the second or third floor.

Dumb move...for most of Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte