Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 06:59 AM

33 posts, read 118,908 times

Advertisements

To all who have replied we really do appreciate the help and advice. I may have been misleading in my original post about the Burnt Store Marina area. From what I've researched I don't think we want to live right in the Marina complex but want to focus on the areas that surrond it if that makes sense. Punta Gorda Isles etc..... Any ideas about there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 07:17 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,993 times
Punta Gorda Isles is a very nice community. Most of the homes are upscale and on navigable water. With your target range PGI may be a reach. You could look to condos and Villas, some will have dockage. I did a quick search and today there is a waterfront home listed at $245k on Capri Isles. 1700 sq/ft 3-2. It's an older home but if waterfront living, boating and fishing is attractive there are waterfront options in PGI. PGI also has a golf course. Grocery, Home Depo, Walmart, gas, and resturants are all within an easy drive from PGI.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:31 AM

FLBob,

Thanks and your right it would probably be a reach for us and what our plans are.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:39 AM

SoFLGal,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll talk to you soon.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:53 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
PG is great for retirees. Actually, it is almost designed for retirees since they've rebuilt after Charley in '04.

We lived in Punta Gorda Isles. Very, very lovely properties but probably out of your price range unless you are ok staying at the top of your price range. Most of the homes have direct canal access & start out at the $350 & above range. PGI is the most desirable b/c of its location to the downtown area & it's canal access. Some of the condos & homes there need a major facelift & are next to $500k+ homes, so it's a mixed bag in places. I believe it has the highest taxes (SoFLGal...correct me if I am wrong )

BS Marina is very nice BUT you have to travel on BS Road which is only one lane & incredibly congested. BSM is a little more off the beaten track & you will have to travel to get basics.

BS Meadows is also pleasant but again, probably out of your price range. That may be an area to consider though. You just don't have canal access there.

Stay away from DC. It's just too mixed with too many problems. It has a gluttony of empty homes. It really is in Port Charlotte but has a PG zip code which is more "prestigous". We spent days & days going through DC & even made an offer on a home. Thankfully, it did not work out & as we spent more time researching the area, we were very grateful we didn't move to DC.

I'd focus on PGI. You get the most for your money there & as a retiree, will probably be the happiest there. It's all about location & if you are willing to spend a little more, you probably can't go wrong with PGI.

(Take a look on the PG Civic Assoc website. They offer a ton of things for retirees. We lived across the street from PGCA & it was a mecca of activitity for retirees who seemed to be thoroughly enjoying life).

PS...when looking at square footage, keep in mind you want to pay attention to how much a/c is under square footage. Some of the lanais are huge & you are not getting as much a/c under sq ft as you may need or want.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:36 PM

Thank you that info helps out very much. As more questions come to mind I'll be asking.

To members of this forum,

I can't tell all of you how nice it is to hear peoples points of views on things. I know I just started asking questions but the response has been great. I applaud all of you and I'm quite sincere in saying that.

My wife and I thank you,

Double2s

Old 08-13-2008, 02:25 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
PG is great for retirees. Actually, it is almost designed for retirees since they've rebuilt after Charley in '04.

We lived in Punta Gorda Isles. Very, very lovely properties but probably out of your price range unless you are ok staying at the top of your price range. Most of the homes have direct canal access & start out at the $350 & above range. PGI is the most desirable b/c of its location to the downtown area & it's canal access. Some of the condos & homes there need a major facelift & are next to $500k+ homes, so it's a mixed bag in places. I believe it has the highest taxes (SoFLGal...correct me if I am wrong )

BS Marina is very nice BUT you have to travel on BS Road which is only one lane & incredibly congested. BSM is a little more off the beaten track & you will have to travel to get basics.

BS Meadows is also pleasant but again, probably out of your price range. That may be an area to consider though. You just don't have canal access there.

Stay away from DC. It's just too mixed with too many problems. It has a gluttony of empty homes. It really is in Port Charlotte but has a PG zip code which is more "prestigous". We spent days & days going through DC & even made an offer on a home. Thankfully, it did not work out & as we spent more time researching the area, we were very grateful we didn't move to DC.

I'd focus on PGI. You get the most for your money there & as a retiree, will probably be the happiest there. It's all about location & if you are willing to spend a little more, you probably can't go wrong with PGI.

(Take a look on the PG Civic Assoc website. They offer a ton of things for retirees. We lived across the street from PGCA & it was a mecca of activitity for retirees who seemed to be thoroughly enjoying life).

PS...when looking at square footage, keep in mind you want to pay attention to how much a/c is under square footage. Some of the lanais are huge & you are not getting as much a/c under sq ft as you may need or want.
121804-Great post! I guess I already let you rep points lately because it wouldn't let me leave any. Very accurate assessment of the area

Old 08-13-2008, 04:35 PM

SoFLGal,

I've been reading a lot of posts and even did a search on some of the old ones and I can't seem to find anyone who has anything even remotely positive to say in regards to the Deep Creek area. Any advice???

Old 08-13-2008, 04:53 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Hmmm... as a Realtor I can't really "steer" you in one direction or another. Here's my advice.

When you get down here, take a drive around Deep Creek at all times of the day. Go in the morning, in the afternoon and evening-after school has let out. If you see any homes in Deep Creek that look interesting talk to the neighbors. Its been my experience that neighbors seem to be pretty honest. They are usually more than willing to tell you what their likes and dislikes are about an area.

If you are going to be down here a few weeks ask other people in town-when you go out to eat ask your server. Strike up a conversation where ever you go and ask about different areas. Often times the locals can offer some pretty good advice.

You can also try doing a Google search on Deep Creek Punta Gorda and skipping over the Realtors websites. Not that there is bad info on Realtors website it's just that it would be...well just info and not opinions, which is what I think you are trying to get. There are a few other websites that might have people talking about Deep Creek, I'll send you a DM. This website has by far more info on it than any other website around. The other sites aren't nearly as informative.

I think these are some of the best ways to get a feel for the area. Good luck with your search of the area

Last edited by SoFLGal; 08-13-2008 at 05:29 PM..

Old 08-14-2008, 05:29 AM

SoFLGal,

Thanks for the info it will be very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte