Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 08:25 AM

33 posts, read 118,908 times

Advertisements

Any chance you could give more info on Deep Creek area? We are going to be checking out that area and some of the other areas of Punta Gorda. I've heard some good things about Deep Creek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 09:00 AM

102 posts, read 460,932 times
I have lived in Deep Creek for the past 10 years. What would you like to know about the area?

BTW, don't come down now, Fay is on the way!

Old 08-16-2008, 09:03 AM

102 posts, read 460,932 times
[quote=basa9159;4881012]I have lived in Deep Creek for the past 10 years. What would you like to know about the area?

BTW, don't come down now, Fay is on the way!

Old 08-16-2008, 03:45 PM

3 posts, read 10,319 times
Default deelooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double2s View Post
The wife and I are retiring soon and in our mid fifties. Heading down to Punta Gorda area in a couple of weeks to look at real estate. Looking for any advice on where to look??? Price range we have in mind is anywhere from 150,000 to 250,000. Have heard some bad things about Deep Creek area and some good things about the areas around the Burnt Store Marina. We have friends that live there but are looking for other opinions. We've also been told to check out the Venice area. Please give us the good and the bad as we are quite new at this.
\

I lived in Burnt Store Marina and it is nice but far away from dining, shopping, and all conveniences. I now live in Punta Gorda Isles and like it much better. I personally don't care for Deep Creek and it is very hard to sell in that area. We are getting ready to sell our home which is completely redone but a little above you price range. Too bad for us all.
Good luck in your search

Old 08-18-2008, 06:33 AM

basa9159,

We coming in this saturday 8/23/08. I sure hope Fay is gone by then and doesn't do any damage to anything or anyone. I'll be in touch.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,700 times
Default Burnt Store Marina

I lived in Burnt Store Marina for 12 years. It is very nice. It is not that fair from things. 7 miles to the grocery but you have 2 restaurants, golf, sandwich shop and a bank. It is really nice place to live, gated community and if you love to fish or boat I would pick it over any other area on Charlotte County. If you are looking for a condo I would look at Southshore as they have great views and are huge 2600sq ft and are all newly built after hurricane Charley in 04. Have a great trip

Old 08-20-2008, 08:24 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double2s View Post

Any chance you could give more info on Deep Creek area? We are going to be checking out that area and some of the other areas of Punta Gorda. I've heard some good things about Deep Creek.
Deep Creek is a very large deed restricted community over the bridge in PG that is pretty much in Port Charlotte but for some reason has a PG zip code. I am sure at one time it was the area to live in but with the housing bust & lack of decent wages for FAMILIES to live on in that area, it it a little rough around the edges.
DC is a very mix bag. You will see a $500k home next to a $200k home next to a foreclosed home next to a home that's been for sale for over a year.
One finds all age groups in DC & it is the most affordable of the communities in PG.
It's very close to the PC Super WalMart but a new one has just opened in PG near Jones Loop, so no real need to cross the bridge to go to WalMart anymore. DC is also right off of I-75 & next to King's Crossing which is a 55+ community.
It's had its share of petty thefts by bored teenagers. Lots of car break-ins & looting of empty homes. Our realtor was showing us a new home in DC & when we walked in, all the windows in the back were broken & the lanai screen was torn apart.
We liked a home there that was initially listed at $245k on Asylan back in Dec '06. The last time I looked (Dec '08) it was still for sale & was down to $175.
There are no sidewalks, some very busy streets, & no real amenities other than you cannot have a fence over 4' tall nor are you allowed to park your boat or rv in the driveway. Those are the sort of "restrictions". Some are really silly & some do make sense. There is a little playground but it's in direct sunlight so not all that practical from May-Oct when it's quite warm out.
DC is a community for those who want the PG zipcode but don't have to pay a lot for a home.
Someone wrote that it is very hard to sell in DC. Very true. Huge inventory. Not sure how it has done the past 6 months, but when we left it was ridiculously overrun with empty new homes.

So, why were we interested in DC? It was affordable & had more young families than the other communities in PG. After doing a ton of research & going there at all times of the day, we realized it was not the area for us.

If you have a family & are supporting them on middle class wages, DC is where you need to be. PGI & the areas surrounding it are too expensive & are pretty much retirees & snowbirds.

If you are retiring, I'd suggest PGI in the area around Aqui Esta; Magdalena, and the historic area (though very few homes for sale there & none of them are on the water).

Burnt Store Marina is mostly retirees. Too cookie cutter box homey for me in that area. Burnt Store Meadows is nice but it is not on water nor does it have any trees.

If one is considering PG, they need to be considering a very laid back lifestyle. I really don't suggest PG for anyone under 50 or families; it is very lacking with things to do for families nor does the city really intend on creating things for families. It is a retirement destination & people there with the $$ plan on keeping it that way.

If you are looking for laid back & retiring, PG is definitely the place. It's about a 45 min drive to Fort Myers & about an hour to Sanibel. Sarasota is about an hour north. Tons of boating, golfing & fishing.

I just suggest Punta Gorda Isles. You are going to pay the most to live there, but it's in the best location in PG & doesn't feel as congested or cookie cutter as some of the other areas.

Good luck!
(sorry so long...)

Old 08-21-2008, 07:33 AM

Thank you for help and insight on all the communities in the PG area. We'll be doing a lot of looking and try to learn as much as we can. Again thanks for being so candid and honest with your advice.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:00 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Double2s...please be careful when talking about DC with a realtor (SoFLGal doesn't count )...it is an area to push & a realtor will convince you DC is the place for you.
I'm not saying NO to DC, I'm just saying be VERY very careful.
If you buy in PG, be prepared to keep that property indefinitely. It's going to take lots of time & other things to get that area on its feet in a healthy way.

And, just enjoy.

I believe you are retiring, correct? So, enjoy. Take your time. Do lots of research. It is a very nice area to retire to if that is the lifestyle that works.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:13 AM

Yes to all of the above. We are working with a real estate lady who works with SoFLGal and she is what we feel a top notch professional in her field. She has helped us in ways already that we couldn't have imagined and we haven't seen a home yet. We love her already and finally will be hooking up with her in about a week or so.

I know you probably explained it already but do you have any thoughts or advice about the Burnt Store Meadows area???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte