Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 04:47 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,274,749 times

Advertisements

We just moved to Holly Springs and my son starts his year round school in a few weeks about the time his meds run out. Refilling those pesky ADHD meds being what it is, I'm pretty sure a prescription sent from TX isn't going to fly. He's already well diagnosed, I just need to know a good doctor to see fast so I can be ready for when school starts.

And yes I'd love to try diet or supplements and was thinking about it until I found out about the year round thing thus losing my 2 month window to work on it. Hopefully, during one of his track-outs I can try something else. Right now though he can't sit still with out meds and with he's an A student so even though I hate medicating him it does work.

With all the stress of moving now is not the time to try something new so any help would be greatly appreciated. So far I've found the Raleigh area much easier to get around (timewise) than San Antonio was so I'm not opposed to referrals anywhere in the Raleigh area. THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 06:39 AM

49 posts, read 252,000 times
Welcome to the area! If you do decide to pursue supplements/diet, I strongly recommend a local Naturopath named Priscilla Evans. You can reach her at 919/604.2235

I live in Fuquay so I'm most familiar with the doctors here. Fuquay Pediatrics is the most well-known but I also recommend considering Excel Pediatrics if you interview a few to make a decision. If you prefer a Psychiatrist you're most likely going to have to make a trip to Cary or Raleigh. If you definitely want to go to a clinic/practice that focuses specifically on ADD/ADHD you'll also have to make a trip and I recommend NC NeuroPsychiatry ADD, ADHD & Other Learning Disabilities Treatments & Therapy (http://www.ncneuropsych.com/adhd-clinic.html - broken link) If someone is aware of a Psychiatrist in HS, Apex or Fuquay, please let me know. As a Licensed Professional Counselor I'm on the looking for someone I can refer people to that is closer to home. Speaking of, if you also are on the lookout for a local counselor to help your son with coping skills and tools, I can point you to some of those as well.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:33 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,152,226 times
You might want to try joining TriangleMommies.Com and asking this question on their special needs board.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:39 PM

932 posts, read 3,098,729 times
Growing Child Peds has been great for us. My son was diagnosed very early. He has ADHD and SPD. Not a fun combo. They have a special ADHD Program that I've good things about. Dr. Knudson and Dr. Woods are pretty great regarding ADHD. The have offices all over the Raleigh area. http://www.growingchildpediatrics.com/

Old 06-23-2010, 07:30 PM

Thanks for the info. I actually talked to a pharmacist yesterday who said I should be able to fill a TX prescription here since we just moved. I'm going to call my son's SA doctor tomorrow and see if she'll mail one which will give me a little more time. I'd like to take my son somewhere and not rush the doctors so I'm hoping my old doctor will come through for me. I'll be looking into y'alls suggestions.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:26 AM

17 posts, read 40,148 times
I would also suggest Dr. Knudsen at Growing Child. Best of luck with your transition.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:11 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,587,154 times
Only narcotics can't be prescribed over state lines.

Also you can do prescriptions by mail

Old 06-26-2010, 11:34 AM

Well, I called my son's doctor and she was out of the office but the nurse acted as if this was not going to happen. Fortunately, I was able to get an appointment this coming Thursday at Growing Child Pediatrics. My only worry is that they list alot of therapy. Not that I'm against that but with the changes, as I said, we don't need to try and go off the med's right now. I'm scared I'll get there and they won't let me have a prescription. On the other hand they were very helpful getting me in so soon and never said anything about NOT being able to give him something when I explained the situation so I'm hopeful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary