Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 07:24 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,174,498 times

Advertisements

If you live in DT Raleigh, you will easily be within your stated time requirement of an hour commute. My commute from NW DT Raleigh to RTP, it takes me about 20-25 minutes tops. The continuation past RTP to both locations will add time but it won't be over an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 08:08 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,079,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkrn44 View Post
I'll be working 7am to 730 pm. Hows the traffic during those hours if I were to be commuting from downtown somewhere to Durham?
On a normal traffic day you won't have any issues commuting around those times. Duke Med to downtown Raleigh is around 25 miles, I'd guess your commute time at around 40 minutes plus whatever commute time you have on campus at Duke Med (i.e. which parking you choose).
Durham Regional Hospital probably adds another five minutes to the commute.

Frank

Old 06-26-2010, 09:26 AM

317 posts, read 1,513,955 times
So when I'm searching for apartments on rent.com for raleigh, I have these different options for the neighborhoods...

brier creek,crabtree valley, downtown, north, south, east, northwest, northeast, southwest, and inside the beltline.

Whenever I search for "downtown".. i don't get too many options. What would I search for to find apartments in the cameron village, glenwood south, and the north hills areas?

Old 06-26-2010, 10:32 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,602,741 times
Definitely Use Google!!!

Here is one example.
apartments loc: 510 Glenwood Avenue, Raleigh, NC 27603-1239 (Red Room) - Google Maps

It seems like this should work for you. Good Luck!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-26-2010 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: Asking for rep points is a TOS violation

Old 06-26-2010, 12:00 PM

317 posts, read 1,513,955 times
Wow, those apartments are really expensive! I was looking to spend $1,100 max for a 2 bedroom. I really like rent.com though because I can specifiy that I want a pool, pet friendly, laundry on site, gym, walk in closets, etc.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:16 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,646,035 times
Quote:
So when I'm searching for apartments on rent.com for raleigh, I have these different options for the neighborhoods...

brier creek,crabtree valley, downtown, north, south, east, northwest, northeast, southwest, and inside the beltline.

Whenever I search for "downtown".. i don't get too many options. What would I search for to find apartments in the cameron village, glenwood south, and the north hills areas?
You won't find anything on rent.com or any of those kinds of sites for downtown Raleigh apartments (at least, not much in your price range). Use craigslist, search for Glenwood South, Cameron Village, Boylan Heights, or Mordecai. The Cameron Village area would be best as far as access to Wade Ave/I-40. There are often 2br condos for rent in your price range in that area.

There aren't a lot of traditional complexes downtown.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:44 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,091,376 times
I dunno, if I were young and single again I might like to live in Durham, some place kind of like this: Baldwin Lofts | Sophisticated Urban Living in the Heart of Downtown Durham

Old 06-28-2010, 08:18 AM

842 posts, read 2,588,673 times
Quote:
This is a continuation from this thread since I've gotten a little off track...
Is Raleigh not a good area for 20 something singles?

I'm moving to Raleigh in September from Pittsburgh. I'm a 25 year old nurse and I'll either be working at Durham Regional, or Duke University hospital 3 days a week. I want to live somewhere that will be fun but also less than an hour long commute. I Know when I look on google and get the times its usually 20-30 minutes. But that isn't counting traffic. SO my questions are this...

Should I stick with Northern, or NW Raleigh? Or are those really suburban areas?
If I live downtown - what would be the fun places to live, that also wouldn't give me a hellish commute for 3 days a week?

I think I'd rather live in a nice area with bars/restaurants - either a short drive or walking distance and have a 45 minute commute to work instead of living in a boring area where I have a short commute to work but I have to drive quite a distance to find something to do.

I'm coming to Raleigh in 2 weeks to look at apartments and I"d like to have a few areas picked out where I may want to live so I can schdule tours and what not. I know that its hard to judge without being there. But also on the same token, its hard to schedule an apartment tour on the day you want to tour it.
So what's wrong with living in Durham?

Don't tell me that you bought into the Raleigh this ... Raleigh that hype machine too.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:23 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Hype? Or fact?

Moderator cut: link removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
So what's wrong with living in Durham?

Don't tell me that you bought into the Raleigh this ... Raleigh that hype machine too.

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 06:53 AM..

Old 06-28-2010, 08:53 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Hype? Or fact?

Moderator cut: link removed
Exclude the ghetto areas of Durham, and I'm sure the results would be much more even.

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 06:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary