Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 11:49 AM

200 posts, read 449,412 times

Advertisements

Im looking to move to NC and was wondering how the econocmy in Raleigh-durham-Cary was faring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 12:13 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dytdude View Post
Im looking to move to NC and was wondering how the econocmy in Raleigh-durham-Cary was faring.
It's in the crapper. Just like everyplace else.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:22 PM

200 posts, read 449,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
It's in the crapper. Just like everyplace else.
I figured that despite the media hype about how well its faring...etc..

Old 06-25-2010, 12:57 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,721 times
Do you want a job or do you want to start a business? If a job is what you want, I'd go somewhere else (unless you're a nurse or want a service industry job for $8-10 per hour). If you want to start a business, you might end up doing pretty well here depending on what you want to do. It is a good area for business - that much of the hype is true

Old 06-25-2010, 11:16 PM

36 posts, read 37,412 times
I will tell it like it is!
There are part time jobs here in retail if you want to make max 8 an hour.
Any type construction job i mean any type labor work unless you know someone on the inside is given to an illegal.
Dont even try to start up a business here anymore, not worth it their is already a rerun of business here
check it out
all plaza's contain chinese food joint - nail salon - pizza joint
there is so much of a supply of reatail commercial spaces available its not even funny
look at some places it been 5 yeards since they buily it and its 75 percent empty
North Carolina used to be the chosen state
NOT NO MOE
foreclosures - plenty of space availabel to do any business not that it will succeed -
plenty of plenty of houses available
nasty heat
nasty ice and snowstorms with no equiptment to make things moving
THINK ABOUT IT
"oh the weather is great"
"oh theres no snow like we get"
"taxes are low" taxes are higher here!
well i wont mention schools are better everyone fouind tht out real quick with the current redistrecting going on LOL
"people are friendlier" thats why you have a higher crime rate than any small town up north comapred to a small town down here
NO TRAINS NO BUSES unless you in the greater city area and still they dont run that often to make it accomadting
done for now

Last edited by NCMAN919; 06-25-2010 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: fast spelling

Old 06-25-2010, 11:18 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Since we have moved here a little over 18 months ago, the economy has gone stagnant.

The first month I was here seemed everyone was hiring and things were being built.

Now, lucky to see a help wanted sign at a fast food place and if a buldozer is moving, it is probably onto the trailer heading for the yard.

Though, I see the dozers are moving at the corner of NC 42 and Buffalo near Flowers Plantation. Maybe a few retailers are ready?

Rumor has it one may be Harris Teeter?

And there is that new Food Lion going up near River Wood in Clayton.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:15 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
It's not as great as it was a few years ago, but not as dire as some people make it sound in this thread.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:57 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
It's bad enough that you shouldn't want to move here, but it's good enough that we intend to stay and enjoy it.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:34 AM

18,096 posts, read 15,676,604 times
I'll be honest. I've been here 8.5 years and this area has not been the glorious mecca as you might have read about. While there was a housing boon with lots and lots of new homes built during those years, jobs could be (and have been) hard to come by unless you were in certain industries (pharma, healthcare, engineering, and agriculture). Technology companies certainly suffered and this area is not the high tech center it tried to be, even with RTP.

I know it's bad in lots of places, and yes, there are many nice things about this area, but the triangle is really just a sprawling small town, in essence.

If I could afford to do so I'd probably move back to CA or at least somewhere closer to where I'd have more career options.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:28 PM

406 posts, read 787,982 times
Very subjective question, everyone will give you andifferent answer based on their reality.

I think the cost of living in the triangle is very high compared to what employers are willing to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary