Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 11:28 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post
Thing is I have no money to pay for a degree and all. And is it really a good idea to go into debt right now to get one?

I'm still living at home to keep from having to many bills. All I have to pay here is rent and my car. Which is barely paid by doing websites on the side once in a blue moon. I just wished my boss would get some more work for me. But he says he's trying to find more work overseas since no one here is signing contracts for the type of work he does.
Try Wake Tech for low rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 12:21 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Maybe you can create your own web site for your own one-person business and go into business doing remote computer maintenance for people?

Old 07-11-2010, 12:37 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Intrex was hiring for computer repair.
I can certainly vouch that they hire folks with "no people skills" at Intrex, from my last couple of times dealing with them.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:00 PM

215 posts, read 607,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Maybe you can create your own web site for your own one-person business and go into business doing remote computer maintenance for people?
But is a computer business really worth going for right now in the economy? Doesn't seem like it'd be worth it right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I can certainly vouch that they hire folks with "no people skills" at Intrex, from my last couple of times dealing with them.
I'll give them a shot again.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:28 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
What are your choices?

If you already know how to build a website, it won't cost you anything there. Look at similar sites for ideas.

Through Godaddy.com, you get a domain name and hosting account -- they are very inexpensive. Set up a rate sheet by researching what others charge.

Go downtown (if in Raleigh) and register a business name. Make it easy to remember. It's relatively inexpensive to register.

Go to a credit union (cheaper than a bank) and get a business account in your new business name. (I recommend Coastal Federal Credit Union.)

Keep track of your money in and money out. You'll have to pay taxes.

Then you put the word out that you are available. Advertise on Craigslist and anywhere else you can -- friends, neighbors, relatives, small businesses.

When you have some happy customers, ask them for testimonials to put on your website.

Keep track of your money in and money out. You'll have to pay taxes.

Try to market yourself each and every day in some way. Get business cards made up and give them out. VistaPrint.com has inexpensive business cards and lots of templates and images.

There is a lot of competition. But if you can't go to school at this time, and you can't find a job, it's certainly worth your time to put all your efforts into it.

It's not easy. You have to work at it every day and not give up.

You might want to take one class at night per semester, too, at Wake Tech. Eventually, you'll have your degree.

I did that, and it took me ten thousand years. But I did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post
But is a computer business really worth going for right now in the economy? Doesn't seem like it'd be worth it right now.

I'll give them a shot again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary