Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:15 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamom View Post
I am not sure where we would like to be. I will know more after next week when we visit. It is really hard looking at a map! I know if we were looking at the Cary area it would be on the northwest side. But, without actually having been there, it is hard to say. Thanks again for the info.
In addition to researching the schools you might want to research the system of local government here. It may be very different and may account for differences in the school system here compared to where you are coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 12:33 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,870 times
Well, where is the new job? How much of a commute do you want? The renting suggestion is fine, but if you don't want to start your kids in one school and then move them, that might be a problem b/c renting would strictly limit where you were later interested in buying since you have some still in elementary.

My kids go to the same school as the one they started in, but b/c it's year round we got bounced from one track to another and that's almost like switching schools.

I think my best advice would be to determine budget, proximity to work, size of house and lot, and then find some homes that are walking distance to an elementary school and post on here what your options are and maybe ask for wisdom from there. Also, check out greatschools.net for school reviews by other parents.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:43 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,273,099 times
We just moved here last month and I have to admit the school issue was quite a concern. Coming from a neighborhood school setting like most other states the Wake situation was just too confusing. As you will see if you check out the local news or even national as I understand it, there is substantial protest to the plan to change the current system. Because of this we opted to just move to Holly Springs where our kids could go to the school behind our house or if I preferred traditional calendar the school just a little further up the road. We went year-round (still haven't decided how I like it but at least one child is out there making new friends already!).

Our realtor suggested we really really check out the schools before we made a decision. Although Wake ISD is a great school district there has apparently been some schools that have suffered some unrest. My kids were already upset from the move so we decided to go with the easiest option on them. Often I'd rather be in Cary closer to things but I'm sure it will get easier as time goes on (and 540, I think, opens in 2012). I would have also gone the rental route but again with the confusion on school assignments was concerned plus there really wasn't alot of houses out there when we were looking. I wouldn't be surprised if the rental market picks up as there were ALOT of empty houses and houses that had been on the market for a long time out there. Now that it's mid-summer I'd think people would consider renting over losing their house...

Old 07-21-2010, 02:06 PM

345 posts, read 1,060,427 times
Depending on the location of the job, you might opt for Chapel Hill, Johnston County, Chatham County, etc. as far as a residence. That might help ease your worries about the schools. Don't let the hoopla of the current school board issues deter you from considering the Triangle. It can be a wonderful place to live and raise a family.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:54 PM

182 posts, read 386,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamom View Post
We are coming next week to look at a job opportunity, housing and schools. I would so appreciate any info on the current situation with Wake County schools. I just keep hearing "it's a mess". Are they changing policies now or looking at changing for the future. I personally want a neighborhood school and am not really up for my kids being bussed long distances. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

relax. da two guys from New Jersey are gonna fix everyting like up home

Old 07-21-2010, 04:16 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post
relax. da two guys from New Jersey are gonna fix everyting like up home
Well, if THAT don't put a scare in ya, nothing will!

Old 07-21-2010, 08:48 PM

906 posts, read 2,382,037 times
Even though I support the direction that the new school board is taking, I'd suggest not moving to Wake County. It will take a while to right the wrongs of the old system (equal academic opportunities being #1) and I would avoid Wake if I were you. I have friends in Durham who are quite happy with the schools and have heard great things about Johnston County schools recently.

We've never been able to say with certainty where our kids are going to school here in Wake County, so that's nothing new. The new system may result in assignment changes, but they won't be assinine ones like we have now.

Again, I wouldn't move to Wake and if we had it to do over we wouldn't have either. Love NC, like Raleigh, but WCPSS isn't the greatest.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:09 AM

182 posts, read 386,482 times
The actual problem with assignments is a lack of construction funding in a high growth school system, not economic based bussing, and attempting to jam more kids into inadequate schools closer to home won't work because it will fail to address that real problem. It's going to take years before people figure this out.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:45 AM

9 posts, read 17,051 times
His job would be in Mebane. We are looking in that area as well, but the school stats just didn't seem as good as some in Wake schools. However, the situation in Wake is very unsettling for a parent coming in as I am sure for any current parents of Wake students. We were looking specifically in the farthest NW parts of Cary. Is that a high growth area?

Old 07-22-2010, 09:30 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Someone suggested Johnston Co. FYI - in the future they will have growth issues just like we have - not enough schools in certain areas due to hi growth. As to when that will be....who knows. But if people continue to choose them b/c of WCPSS woes, it won't take long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary