Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:19 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,383 times

Advertisements

Hubbie sold beloved Harley this spring as I had begun to feel like a target on the back and just didn't enjoy riding anymore as a result....too many near misses on the highway by motorists and deer....I didn't like having to train my eyes on every car that got near us for fear I'd end up on the ground or worse......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 09:41 PM

10 posts, read 27,843 times
Terrible situation all around...

Old 08-31-2010, 01:22 PM

809 posts, read 2,188,231 times
A Youngsville man died in a motorcycle accident here in Wake Forest at the intersection of Elm Avenue and South White Street. This is a terrible intersection with people not even bothering to look as they cross over Elm Street (there is a stop sign there folks!). Witnesses said the driver laid his motorcycle down as he approached the intersection just before the collision.

Very sad. I never did hear what the cause of death was but he was apparently quite a popular fellow. Bright's Funeral home was absolutely flowing over the day of his funeral.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:21 PM

346 posts, read 613,142 times
I am an avid motorcyclist. I have been riding street bikes for 35 years thus far. I always wear hi-viz jackets and always use my high beams during the day. Still the sad fact is that motorcyclists are damn near invisible to most people driving their cages. I have learned to think and act procatively...Many people I see riding today are young and the way they ride their sportbikes makes them higher risk than is already needed to be. I see people riding in shorts flimsy half helmets..sneakers and even flip-flops. In fact most Harley riders dress for being cool and comfortable rather than geared up in all that hot protective gear...My motto is "I'd rather sweat than bleed"
Now someone said they thought every driver over 65 should be retested regularly..That might sound good but I'd rather every driver be required to ride a MC when they first get their DL for a month. The only way people who drive cages will truly understand the risks inherent in riding a MC is to experience them first hand...Obviously this subject touches a nerve with me...My prayers to all those who have lost their lives and thier families as well.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:22 PM

206 posts, read 746,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Let's give the dead guy on the bike a break.

The SUV driver is probably terribly distraught, too.

It is just a very sad story, and some of us who live nearby have already noted it is a difficult intersection.
Agreed. Tried to rep you but apparently I need to spread it around more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary