Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 01:42 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times

Advertisements

NC WARN: Duke, Progress plans could double power bills - Triangle Business Journal:

Quote:
The study, prepared for the N.C. Waste Awareness & Reduction Network, says bills could climb between 50 percent and 100 percent if the two utilities complete their plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 02:37 PM

445 posts, read 1,859,565 times
NC Warn is an anti-nuclear organization. So obviously they are against any expansion of nuclear power in NC and will present any data that shows it in a negative light.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:40 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,397,317 times
They are going to at least double, as that is what the POTUS said he planned on doing, in an effort to be more "green". This evidently is what people think they want. I can't wait to hear all the complaining when their bills do double or triple.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:50 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
That's not good news! We have Progress Energy in FL and our rates went up about 50% over the past year! Everyone is compalining about it. In the winter or summer, my bills used to average $180, now they are up to about $250.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:24 AM

387 posts, read 1,028,606 times
Yes.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:26 AM

232 posts, read 1,031,107 times
Yes

Old 04-01-2009, 07:35 AM

551 posts, read 2,287,912 times
Yes.

And I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea. Until we start paying the true cost of these resources, we won't feel compelled to conserve. Think about gasoline over the last few years. Everyone kept buying big trucks and SUVs until gas prices reached a pain point...

That said, we've got to figure out how to help those on fixed incomes and very low incomes to make sure they have the basic needs met.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:52 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,862 times
I think it's unrealistic to expect them to do anything but double (or worse). Ever hear of cap and trade? Just a middle class tax increase. But don't worry, soon the $15 extra per week if you're married will hit your paycheck (until it expires in two years).

Old 04-01-2009, 08:01 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,562,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky View Post
Yes.

And I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea. Until we start paying the true cost of these resources, we won't feel compelled to conserve. Think about gasoline over the last few years. Everyone kept buying big trucks and SUVs until gas prices reached a pain point...

That said, we've got to figure out how to help those on fixed incomes and very low incomes to make sure they have the basic needs met.
You just proved other posters points. Gas prices rose due to supply and demand. People got the message and started buying less gas guzzlers and started conserving more. That's the way the system in this country and set up to work.

It is not set up to work by government artifically inflating prices to pass their social agendas and "make" people switch by pricing them to the gills, in order to seem like they are making a difference for the environment. If the market says it's time to switch energy sources then it will be time. By the governement trying to artifically make it the right time, they will only hurt the people and themselves in the long run.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:33 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,148 times
I spent a month in Costa Rica summer before last studying Spanish. It really is amazing how much we as Americans waste compared to other countries. The group of us that went stayed with doctors, lawyers, and other well off professions. These were middle to upper class families who do not use dryers, ac/heat (of course their weather is more temperate), and use very little water. You are lucky to get hot/warm water for even 10 minutes when you shower. It was an adjustment and I got use to it, but if I had to go to that extreme again I would. I already don't use the ac/heat when it's not needed. It amazes me how many people do use it when it's nice outside. I only run the dishwasher when it is absolutely full. I could work on my showers being less than 10 minutes though.

So yes, I do think I could survive if the power bill doubled. Luckily, my boyfriend is getting ready to close on his house which was a short sale and the savings more than cover the power bill anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary