Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2010, 06:33 PM

23 posts, read 129,785 times

Advertisements

How much would you pay for gently used high end bedroom furniture? Seller bought from greatpricefurniture and it is been gently used and there is no visible damage. We are talking about bedroom set (Bed, dresser/mirror chest etc) for the original purchase each set of around $7K.
Just wanted to see what you guys think of? Would you prefer to buy the used high end bedroom set? Thank you in advance for your response !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 06:43 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
When it comes to high end furniture I think the resale price depends greatly on the exact style. Is it a specialty piece or a high end copy of an abscure style. I've seen some expensive french provincial furniture that does poorly with resale becuase it is a style not commonly sought after.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:05 PM

423 posts, read 1,094,794 times
I find the better bargains in the high end furniture. People generally aren't competing with you to purchase and the mark-downs are higher. For pottery barn it's usually 50% of original price. If you go to brands that are much better quality and unknown to the masses I find 25-40% of original price seems to be the sweet spot. Also, try looking on allofcraigs.com for the same item nationally. It will give you an idea of what someone else is asking in a different part of the country.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:24 PM

18,074 posts, read 15,658,847 times
Used furniture tends to depreciate rapidly, unless it's an unusual piece or a pristine and rare antique. The markup on new furniture is extremely high (500%+...my father used to work in that industry).

So a 3 yr old set that cost $7K when purchased new will likely fetch less than $2K now. Why? Because the people who buy used furniture are doing so because they are looking for bargains. Their budgets are a lot lower and the demand for used pieces in the thousands of dollars isn't there unless you're talking known high end (like Baker, for instance) or antiques.

It doesn't matter what you paid for the furniture. It's only worth what someone else will pay for it and how quickly you want/need to sell it.

I've seen nice furniture only a few years old go for 10% of the original retail price.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
When it comes to high end furniture I think the resale price depends greatly on the exact style. Is it a specialty piece or a high end copy of an abscure style. I've seen some expensive french provincial furniture that does poorly with resale becuase it is a style not commonly sought after.
It's doesn't seem to speciality piece as the exact same piece is available on
greatpricefurniture.com but this is the 1st time I am thinking of purchasing it. I can't afford to spend 7k but comfortable with 2 or 2.5k which the seller declined. His asking price is 3k but I wasn't sure if they hold that much value for "used bedroom" furniture. thank you

Old 09-21-2010, 07:02 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,472 times
To get an idea what you might ask for it, check Craig's List or EBay for comparable items. That should give you a range of what you might get for it.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:06 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
I tend to believe that used stuff should sell for no more than one-third of the original price.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I tend to believe that used stuff should sell for no more than one-third of the original price.
I checked on eBay and the new set is selling for about the same price as seller paid that is 7K. His offer is 3K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary