Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 08:21 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times

Advertisements

I have heard some organizations have a Fall Harvest the day before Halloween, but that is usually held in a parking lot or in an auditorium of some type--not an entire neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 09:28 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,870 times
Yes, I have heard of individual organizations (usually religious organizations) shifting to Saturday because, of course, they have an objection to Halloween in the first place, and doubly so on a Sunday. Of course, some might think Sunday is super appropriate since Halloween is designed to scare AWAY evil spirits.

We'll be doing Sunday.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:29 AM

426 posts, read 1,490,252 times
Sunday 10/31

Old 09-26-2010, 10:15 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,327 times
I'm a traditionalist when it comes to Halloween and can't imagine kids coming on any other day but Halloween. I think some cities around here shift it a bit, but Durham seems to honor it on the actual day, whatever day it lands on.

I live on a cul-de-sac & alot of the neighbors just sit outside and make it a party while greeting the kids. It fun, but can get a bit chilly at times.

Yesterday I heard of a cute thing, for people who don't want to send their kids in the neighborhood and do a little party. A church does something called a "Trick or Trunk" where they decorate the trunks of their cars and put the candy in them. I can see this going in lots of fun directions, including tailgating before the kids go from trunk to trunk for their candy.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:22 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,273,099 times
Back in Texas trick or treating was always on Halloween itself but other events often took place before. Nightclubs often had celebrations on the Saturday closest to Halloween for obvious reasons. I've been to Harvest Festivals at church both on the day and scheduled before the day. The church we've been visiting here is doing a huge festival on Sunday. Sadly it sounds as if they don't really do costumes which my boys love, however, I just heard about Holly Springs doing something the day before so hopefully we'll wear them then. I heard trick or treating is huge in my neighborhood but I'm still not sure about it since we don't know that many people. Guess it's from being a child in the 70's when people x-rayed their kids candy but I'm still nervous when we trick or treat and don't personally know the people.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:40 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
Yesterday I heard of a cute thing, for people who don't want to send their kids in the neighborhood and do a little party. A church does something called a "Trick or Trunk" where they decorate the trunks of their cars and put the candy in them. I can see this going in lots of fun directions, including tailgating before the kids go from trunk to trunk for their candy.
This is common in some rural areas where houses are too spread out for traditional house-to-house trick-or-treating.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:12 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
WRAL News wieghed in on this and polled the local governments in the Triangle. I was thinking of celebrating Halloween on Oct 30th, but then I remembered that is the day my Family celebrates St. Patrick's Day! J/K

When is Halloween? :: WRAL.com

Respones:
Cary: The Town of Cary does not dictate when kids go trick or treating

Chapel Hill: It's Oct. 31. "It is never any other day in Chapel Hill,"

Clayton: Halloween is on Oct. 31

Durham: The city does not take a position on when Halloween will be celebrated.

Fuquay-Varina: The town board does not take a position on when Halloween is.

Hillsborough: The town does not take a position on Halloween. It's left up to the people.

Holly Springs: It's on Oct. 31. Recommended trick-or-treating hours are from dusk to 8:30 p.m.

Morrisville: The town does not take a position on when Halloween is celebrated.

Raleigh: The city has nothing to do with when people trick or treat

Wake Forest: The Town of Wake Forest traditionally recognizes Oct. 31

Wake County: The county is not guiding Halloween activities,

Old 09-28-2010, 02:15 PM

814 posts, read 2,007,230 times
I have never heard of anyone celebrating on any other night either. I have heard of people having trunk or treats on nights near Halloween that are maybe more convenient for the group, club or church, but how can you "proclaim" that Halloween is on a different day....my calendar says its the 31st and that is when my kids will expect to go Trick or Treating.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:34 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
I do think some areas (I bet Utah) won't do Halloween on a Sunday, but that has never been the case here.

That's not to say that "planned events", such as carnivals, parties, etc aren't better suited for a Saturday night, and the malls who do trick-or-treating will probably do it on Saturday simply because they aren't open on Sunday after 6.

But door-to-door Trick-or-Treating is always on Halloween, Oct 31. You may find that some people have their lights out, if they "disagree" with this (heck, some people just don't want to deal with it and turn their lights out anyway) but people--at least those who've lived here for any length of time--will expect you on Sunday the 31st.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:45 AM

1 posts, read 5,432 times
Youngsville: Halloween is Saturday, 10/30

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
WRAL News wieghed in on this and polled the local governments in the Triangle. I was thinking of celebrating Halloween on Oct 30th, but then I remembered that is the day my Family celebrates St. Patrick's Day! J/K

[URL="http://www.wral.com/lifestyles/goaskmom/blogpost/8357867/"]When is Halloween? :: WRAL.com[/URL]

Respones:
Cary: The Town of Cary does not dictate when kids go trick or treating

Chapel Hill: It's Oct. 31. "It is never any other day in Chapel Hill,"

Clayton: Halloween is on Oct. 31

Durham: The city does not take a position on when Halloween will be celebrated.

Fuquay-Varina: The town board does not take a position on when Halloween is.

Hillsborough: The town does not take a position on Halloween. It's left up to the people.

Holly Springs: It's on Oct. 31. Recommended trick-or-treating hours are from dusk to 8:30 p.m.

Morrisville: The town does not take a position on when Halloween is celebrated.

Raleigh: The city has nothing to do with when people trick or treat

Wake Forest: The Town of Wake Forest traditionally recognizes Oct. 31

Wake County: The county is not guiding Halloween activities,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary