Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 08:32 PM

365 posts, read 1,210,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by someonelikeyou View Post
Wow - I still remember when the current Chapel Hill Library opened - doesn't seem that long ago... I was so excited. Really loved sitting in the back with the large windows overlooking the trees. So quiet and peaceful. A move to University Mall would certainly kill that ambiance...
I would be sad about that; it's so beautiful outside the library, and I love all the windows. However, I'm not sure how much of that beauty will be there after the expansion. And the expansion HAS to happen - the library is far too small for the demand.

CHTransplant - you should definitely venture out from A Southern Season and spend some time in UMall! It's quiet and different and boutique-ish, but there are many gems within - Cameron's, Details, Branching Out/Night Gallery, Chick-Fil-A , the Animation Gallery, KitchenWorks, Alfredo's (yum!) - it is well worth part of a day/evening out. I highly recommend heading there for some Christmas shopping on Black Friday weekend. You won't find the horrible crowds, but you will find some good sales and wonderful gifts. I think it's one of the best places in CH for gift shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 06:32 AM

9,196 posts, read 25,003,001 times
Thanks Tootie. I really should check out more of what that Mall has to offer. Maybe when the new library opens there it will be a good excuse for me.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:44 AM

843 posts, read 2,105,909 times
The only drawback I see is a rent payment to UMall, and a loss of taxable space at the mall. I would like to see some long range comparisions.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:28 AM

9,196 posts, read 25,003,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
The only drawback I see is a rent payment to UMall.
I noticed that all the materials on this mention a "sale" of the space to the city. That struck me as odd for a mall - but perhaps there would be no on-going rent involved. (There is a mention of maintenance or common fees.) The financial comparison the city manager prepared didn't seem to include any rent.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:41 AM

4,331 posts, read 6,026,037 times
^^^Chapel Hill would buy the Dillard's space for $4 million. It's actually fairly common for anchor stores to purchase their store spaces at malls rather than renting.

And it would be cheaper to build out the mall space than to renovate/expand the existing library.

And they'd be able to use the existing library for other purposes...offices for parks and rec is the proposal.

Seems like a win-win-win all around.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:38 AM

487 posts, read 893,025 times
I agree this is great. I've never understood why so many American government buildings (especially the post office) are on quasi-military looking compound buildings, but the library has always puzzled me in particular.

It's on a compound in the middle of nowhere! I understand about parking worries but a library should be somewhere you can stroll into and browse. But the way chapel hill public library is now, I half expect a checkpoint to shoot me up Iraq-style as I drive up that road. I'd prefer it to be in central Chapel Hill, but university mall is a good second choice.

chwboy

Old 11-23-2010, 10:15 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,327,888 times
Wherever it is, it is a treasure for our community. If we can get more useage for more people then put it in the mall. I agree, the present one is kinda off the beaten path but it is in a beautiful site.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:02 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,698,536 times
OMG< let me know when they are ready to start hiring, if I could work in a library that near a Chik-fil-a I would surely think I had dined and gone to heaven!

Old 11-23-2010, 03:15 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,900,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
OMG< let me know when they are ready to start hiring,
With the #1 Library School in the USA [my alma mater ] right there at UNC, good luck with that Just a WEE bit of competition!

Quote:
if I could work in a library that near a Chik-fil-a I would surely think I had dined and gone to heaven!
I've seen Freudian slips before, but this is my favorite!

(PS, I worked in that mall for two years, and it DOES get old, even Chik-Fil-A! And your waistline will never forgive you!)

Old 11-24-2010, 03:04 AM

487 posts, read 893,025 times
^ Uh, I think the 'dined' bit is deliberate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary