Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 06:52 AM

351 posts, read 770,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Wow, I just finished reading the AdvancedEd findings and it is a fairly scathing report against the 5 majority members!
It was more like a "premeditated attack". Oh wait, where did I hear that before?

The review isn't worth the paper it's written on. Chalk it up to more hypocritical propoganda.

Last edited by byebyenortheast; 03-17-2011 at 07:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 07:27 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyenortheast View Post
It was more like a "premeditated attack". Oh wait, where did I hear that before? The review isn't worth the paper it's written on. Chalk it up to more hypocritical propoganda.
I think this Board does have some issues, but I was not terribly impressed by this report - and agree that some of the words AdvancED chose to use were rather imlammatory and it undercuts their claim to be objective.

I was most troubled by underlying assumptions in the report - e.g., the alleged "data" that school staff presented showing their prior policies were successful in raising achievement of disadvantaged students. If as we learned earlier this week, the school district actually didn't maintain any data on which students it was moving for SES purposes, then how could it possibly have any data demonstrating whether those movements contributed to student achievement? Did AdvancED get duped by staff?

Old 03-17-2011, 08:59 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
Can you say transparent?

Old 03-17-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Did AdvancED get duped by staff?
It's more like the residents of Wake were duped by the prior board majority. Hopefully the rest of them get their walking papers in November (and take Barber with them).

Old 03-17-2011, 04:17 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Perhaps it's a misnomer then, the say that they accredit "schools"? Should the terminology used to describe this process instead say that they accredit "school systems"?
No, not really. Saying that they ONLY accredit individual schools would be a misnomer.

"Accreditation is a force-multiplier. The process is a catalyst for transformative excellence, and AdvancED’s accreditation process is designed on a standards-based framework to feed continuous improvement and transform education on a global scale. Education providers of all types around the world use AdvancED Accreditation.
  • Elementary, Middle and Secondary Schools
  • School Districts/Systems
  • Postsecondary Schools
  • Educational Corporations
  • Distance Learning Organizations
  • Educational Service Agencies
  • Pre-K Institutions
Accreditation is inextricably linked to institution and educational system improvement. The accreditation process asks institutions and systems to critically evaluate their vision, strategies, priorities, leadership, and programs and resources. The process of earning and maintaining accreditation provides institutions and educational systems with clear and compelling direction for implementing changes to move toward excellence."

Old 03-17-2011, 06:38 PM

It appears that you pulled info from the Advanced Ed website. It appears that they have more bark and less bite.
I fail to see anything in the report that will move the needle with regard to improving education at an individual school. Instead, they play the role of defacto dictator.
I think a governing body should audit AdvancED.
Well, at least Barber has got their back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
No, not really. Saying that they ONLY accredit individual schools would be a misnomer.

"Accreditation is a force-multiplier. The process is a catalyst for transformative excellence, and AdvancED’s accreditation process is designed on a standards-based framework to feed continuous improvement and transform education on a global scale. Education providers of all types around the world use AdvancED Accreditation.
  • Elementary, Middle and Secondary Schools
  • School Districts/Systems
  • Postsecondary Schools
  • Educational Corporations
  • Distance Learning Organizations
  • Educational Service Agencies
  • Pre-K Institutions
Accreditation is inextricably linked to institution and educational system improvement. The accreditation process asks institutions and systems to critically evaluate their vision, strategies, priorities, leadership, and programs and resources. The process of earning and maintaining accreditation provides institutions and educational systems with clear and compelling direction for implementing changes to move toward excellence."

Old 03-17-2011, 06:54 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
It appears that you pulled info from the Advanced Ed website. It appears that they have more bark and less bite.
I fail to see anything in the report that will move the needle with regard to improving education at an individual school. Instead, they play the role of defacto dictator.
I think a governing body should audit AdvancED.
Well, at least Barber has got their back.

Yes, it is from their website, and they're not some fly-by-night pack of angry villagers out to burn down the House of Margiotta. They are an arm of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, a huge and well-respected agency. The accreditation process is rigorous and thorough and there's no dictatorship involved.

I agree that the statement seemed to be a clear attack on the current majority--didn't seem unbiased at all. There were also many commas missing where they should've been, that hurt their credibility with me. But I think you're painting an extraordinarily extreme picture of a body you have no relationship with or understanding of. It is borderline paranoid.

I tend to get that way when I feel attacked and don't know my "attackers." I once really despised the current school board, but now that I've met many of them and have seen Tata in action, I'm inclined to have a more complex view of them--which I think is a good thing.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:12 PM

Yes, my opinion is one of a non-educator. Most of the time, people outside of the fray have a more objective view of a situation.

I find it hard to deny that AdvancedEd was solicited by Barber and its findings were clouded by the bias of its supporters.

BTW, I don't despise AdvancedEd or Barber. Everyone has their own agenda. It just so happens that Barber's agenda fit seamlessly with that of AdvancedED.

If you would, please tell me how their recommendations would improve schools?

pack of angry villagers out to burn down the House of Margiotta. They are an arm of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, a huge and well-respected agency. The accreditation process is rigorous and thorough and there's no dictatorship involved.

I agree that the statement seemed to be a clear attack on the current majority--didn't seem unbiased at all. There were also many commas missing where they should've been, that hurt their credibility with me. But I think you're painting an extraordinarily extreme picture of a body you have no relationship with or understanding of. It is borderline paranoid.

I tend to get that way when I feel attacked and don't know my "attackers." I once really despised the current school board, but now that I've met many of them and have seen Tata in action, I'm inclined to have a more complex view of them--which I think is a good thing.[/quote]

Old 03-18-2011, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
Yes, it is from their website, and they're not some fly-by-night pack of angry villagers out to burn down the House of Margiotta. They are an arm of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, a huge and well-respected agency.
Perhaps they aren't a pack of angry villagers; but, in this situation that is exactly what they have made themselves. They not only contradict findings in their previous reports on Wake schools as well as statements within this same report. Because of this I can't give them the least amount of respect.

WCPSS should stop paying AdvancED and send the bigots packing. Accreditation from them seems meaningless.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:06 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
Huffington Post article on WCPSS:

The Koch Brothers And The Battle Over Integration in Wake County's Schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary