Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:40 AM

27 posts, read 64,840 times

Advertisements

For the past year or so I've been noticing an ugly accumulation of graffiti and graffiti rub-outs on the brick sound barrier walls of the Raleigh beltline(440) in the stretch between Wade Ave and Capital Blvd. It's on both the inner and outer brick walls and is even on the back of one of the huge green directional signs.

I called the City graffiti removal number but the lady who answered says this is strictly a DOT matter and not the concern of the City. She gave me a DOT number to call which is no longer in service.

Seems a real shame that this problem is allowed to go on with no response on what is one of the most heavily traveled roads in Raleigh by both visitors and locals.

Anyone have a valid working phone number to call about this problem? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 10:49 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Did you try this main information line for the DOT?

The Customer Service Office answers the department's toll-free customer service line, 1-877-DOT-4YOU, from 8 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, with extended hours as necessary for emergencies.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:37 AM

494 posts, read 1,388,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgdeux View Post
For the past year or so I've been noticing an ugly accumulation of graffiti and graffiti rub-outs on the brick sound barrier walls of the Raleigh beltline(440) in the stretch between Wade Ave and Capital Blvd. It's on both the inner and outer brick walls and is even on the back of one of the huge green directional signs.

I called the City graffiti removal number but the lady who answered says this is strictly a DOT matter and not the concern of the City. She gave me a DOT number to call which is no longer in service.

Seems a real shame that this problem is allowed to go on with no response on what is one of the most heavily traveled roads in Raleigh by both visitors and locals.

Fitting compliment to the litter.And FYI.NC DOT= Useless.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:44 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,909 times
Somebody sprayed up 540 too, near the falls of neuse exit ramps. Against the sound barrier walls. It breaks my heart. I have grown up here. Im 25 now and just dont like the way the area is going. Too many people moving here from the bigger cities with they bad behind kids. Shaking my head.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:10 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
Quote:

What seems a shame is people will get on the internet to complain about the graffiti and the people who are "supposed" to clean it instead of organizing a community event so neighbors could actually meet more neighbors by cleaning up the area they live in together. Such nice, beautiful weather out this week, too.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:54 PM

It's often not safe for citizens to try to do such work along major roadways.

Years ago, in another neighborhood in another state, I volunteered to remove graffiti from playground equipment. Two things bothered me about that situation:

a) The chemicals we needed to use were very dangerous; on the label, it practically guaranteed you'd get cancer.

b) Some neighbors were furious we publicized that we needed volunteers to remove the graffiti; they said it wasn't THAT kind of neighborhood! (And it wasn't, but we wanted to keep it nice.)

Suggestions:

Maybe the OP can call the DOT number and report the locations of the graffiti and let us know what the DOT said.

Maybe the OP can also list some of the specific locations, and City-Data folks can report whether they've been cleaned up or not.

Then we can call the DOT as needed to report the graffiti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
What seems a shame is people will get on the internet to complain about the graffiti and the people who are "supposed" to clean it instead of organizing a community event so neighbors could actually meet more neighbors by cleaning up the area they live in together. Such nice, beautiful weather out this week, too.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
It's often not safe for citizens to try to do such work along major roadways.
This would be true if this wall were right along the highway but since it's up an embankment appox. 50 yards off the highway I think they'll be fine. And please, everybody remember lovebrentwood's statement next time you are zooming down the highway in your own fantasy world doing God knows what when you are supposed to be driving and you see a disabled car, police car, fire truck, ambulance, wrecker, etc. on the shoulder of the road. Give them some room, please!!

Quote:
The chemicals we needed to use were very dangerous; on the label, it practically guaranteed you'd get cancer.
A pressure washer takes it off just fine.

Quote:
Some neighbors were furious we publicized that we needed volunteers to remove the graffiti; they said it wasn't THAT kind of neighborhood! (And it wasn't, but we wanted to keep it nice.)
Better way to fight back! Remove it before it has time to hang around and get noticed.

Quote:
Maybe the OP can call the DOT number and report the locations of the graffiti and let us know what the DOT said.

Maybe the OP can also list some of the specific locations, and City-Data folks can report whether they've been cleaned up or not.

Then we can call the DOT as needed to report the graffiti.
Or we can have a City-data day where we all get out and work for the city we all live in by cleaning it up. Heck, it might even save some tax dollars in the process.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:22 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,379 times
Quote:

I hate graffiti. I carry the graffiti hot line number in my purse and have made many calls. The number at DOT that I have been given is 733-2191. The answering message says Department of Transportation, Wake County Maintenance. It is a working number.

Reminder: the City of Raleigh will remove graffiti on permanent structures. Their number is 996-6001.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:35 PM

Well, y'all have fun out there along the highway with your power washers (power washers? Where are you going to get power and water for your power washers?).

I won't be there.

(Not that I'm not in favor of similar community efforts. A great group of Brentwood neighbors did some maintenance on the lakes a week or two ago.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
This would be true if this wall were right along the highway but since it's up an embankment appox. 50 yards off the highway I think they'll be fine. And please, everybody remember lovebrentwood's statement next time you are zooming down the highway in your own fantasy world doing God knows what when you are supposed to be driving and you see a disabled car, police car, fire truck, ambulance, wrecker, etc. on the shoulder of the road. Give them some room, please!!

A pressure washer takes it off just fine.

Better way to fight back! Remove it before it has time to hang around and get noticed.

Or we can have a City-data day where we all get out and work for the city we all live in by cleaning it up. Heck, it might even save some tax dollars in the process.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Well, y'all have fun out there along the highway with your power washers (power washers? Where are you going to get power and water for your power washers?).
Well, since a pressure washer is driven off a gasoline-powered engine I guess a gas can would suffice. Since the average pressure washer flows 2gpm and a 250 gal. tank can be had for $30 that would allow for 125 minutes of pressure washing before having to refill the tank.

Quote:
I won't be there.
Yeah, I knew that would be your response.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-09-2010 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: Not necessary -- thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary