Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 08:03 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,863,564 times

Advertisements

An interesting choice by the N&O with Bella Mia in Cary as Triangle restaurant of the year for 2011 as it has only been open since June last year and is a coal fired pizzeria. Has anyone tried it? I prefer casual dining so it will be on my list in the coming weeks.

The six Gold Medal restaurants that Bella Mia beat are:-

Bonne Soiree in Chapel Hill
Herons in the Umstead Hotel in Cary
Magnolia Grill in Durham
Fearrington House in Pittsboro
Lantern in Chapel Hill
Poole's Downtown Diner in Raleigh

I was surprized that An and the Second Empire were only awarded Silver Medals. Good to see that ONly Burger in Durham received a Silver Medal too. The full list of restaurants including best in class by cusine is attached in the link below.

The Triangle's best restaurants 2011 - Dining - NewsObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 12:09 PM

57 posts, read 192,009 times
it is simply amazing. transcendent pizza. i have stopped even chiming in on discussions about local pizza because the discussion is frankly closed. try it. i am curious to hear your thoughts.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:41 PM

35 posts, read 156,050 times
I tried it. Wasn't anything special. Especially for the amount of money that we paid. We all left hungry.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:26 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
It is very good traditional Napolitan style pizza. If you go there expecting a gigantic pizza hut pile of goo, you will be disappointed.
But, and this is a big BUT, I fear that they won't last. Since it is a sit-down casual dining restaurant, I think people will want a more extensive menu. Also, it is not the most child friendly. This is not the pizza your kids may be used to and other options are limited.
These drawbacks, not to mention that the pizza's are fairly pricey, may lead to its demise.
I hope that it lasts, because it is really good pizza. Maybe they can open a take out business with discounted prices.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:43 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
I've also eaten there and I really enjoyed the pizza, but the service was awful and not at all accommodating or friendly. As with most new places, we try to give them 6 months to work out the kinks and try it again before scratching it off our list.
I definitely don't think it's "restaurant of the year".

Old 01-22-2011, 02:47 PM

455 posts, read 918,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencamm View Post
I tried it. Wasn't anything special. Especially for the amount of money that we paid. We all left hungry.
That about summed it up for my wife and I. We decided that style of pizza just wasn't for us.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:50 PM

487 posts, read 890,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMayor View Post
That about summed it up for my wife and I. We decided that style of pizza just wasn't for us.
my wife and me.

(Pet peeve)

Old 01-22-2011, 02:54 PM

455 posts, read 918,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
my wife and me.

(Pet peeve)
You are correct, grammar police!

Old 01-22-2011, 05:58 PM

871 posts, read 3,017,534 times
We have been there once and loved it. We've done Bertucci's and non-chain wood fired pizza in NH, MA, CT etc. and appreciate its uniqueness and reasonable caloric load.

Bella Mia was (in our opinion) a big win and the pizza I had, with a glass of red, was perfecto. Not much else out there is even close. It is not cheap though.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:09 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
We ordered 2 pizzas to go recently. We were told it would take about 45 minutes. DH was there 45 minutes later only to discover they hadn't even started the pizzas yet!! DH ended up waiting because it was late and we had family visiting. There were ready 40 minutes later!!! He complained to the manager who had the audacity to say "What do you expect? It's very busy". My husband told him he expected good service and for the food to be ready when promised. Told the manager we would not be back and she did not seem to care in the least. Overall, the pizzas were very good but quite small for the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary