Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 10:17 AM

8 posts, read 14,533 times

Advertisements

Well, we don't have kids so I don't know which high school they go to or how good it is. In general, the neighborhood is safe and quiet (with the exception of construction noise-the builders have been busy!). There are teens around but most of the kids are younger (elementary school or "little" kids). The teens would probably appreciate more of them!

The drive into downtown Raleigh is easy (in my opinion - we're from Boston) - it takes us about 20 minutes; however, I have not done it during "rush hour". I can't comment on the distance or time to Fort Bragg since I haven't done it - perhaps Google maps could give you a good estimate?

The closest grocery stores are 10 minutes away (as mentioned earlier in the thread). The same plaza has a Rite Aid and a good car wash. There is also a good coffee place (Electric Beanz) and a postal mailing place and a good dry cleaner all in that location or the Food Lion plaza. In the spring and summer, there is a wonderful strawberry picking field and stand/farm stand at the intersection of 1010 and Lake Wheeler - about 5 minutes away.

There are a number of restaurants in Fuquay-Varina (fast and otherwise), which are anywhere from 10-20 minutes away. Downtown Apex (20 min) also has some tasty places. I'm probably not the best person to comment on driving times to food. We will go anywhere if we hear of a good place (more than an hour away) since we are not big "fast food" fans. Downtown Fuquay also has a great wine store and bakery.

BF is interesting in terms of town-we have an Apex zip code and mailing address, but the city of Fuquay-Varina annexed the development when it was established, so we pay Fuquay taxes and get town water and other services (which is good for us because FV's tax rate is lower than Apex's or Cary's). FV is by far our closest town.

Let me know if you need any more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 08:59 AM

41 posts, read 92,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Middle Creek HS is good, but not great.

If I was going to pay Brighton Forest type money, and I was concerned with High Schools, I would find something in Apex or Holly Springs, and settle for a little less house.

Do students in the Apex/Holly Springs Schools not have to change schools as often as in the Fuqay Varina/Middle Creek schools?

Old 04-11-2011, 09:46 AM

450 posts, read 1,351,335 times
All Wake County (Apex, Holly Springs and Fuquay included) schools have pretty equal chance of changes at this point; Apex has actually borne the brunt of a lot of changes at the elementary level in recent years. High schools really don't get messed with as much, EXCEPT when a new one is built.

And who knows what the next year or two will bring. I'm expecting more stability after 2013, but until then I'd say things are very up in the air all over Wake. We should know more when they present the new assignment plan in early summer.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:15 PM

645 posts, read 1,504,097 times
It is Middle Creek HS. Not a problem

Old 06-21-2012, 01:40 PM

9 posts, read 17,050 times
Any updates on the progress of Brighton Forest community? Are they actively building/selling? Pros/Cons for this neighborhood? My husband will be working at the nuclear plant and our parents live in Fuquay Varina, so we want to be nearby (but not too close, lol!) to these areas. Price point is preferably less than $400k for a nice size (>2500 sq ft) custom built home. Also, interested in having a community with larger lots that don't feel so congested.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-21-2012, 04:58 PM

46 posts, read 77,274 times
I still see new construction for sale in Brighton Forest, and you should have no problem in your price range. We haven't been through the neighborhood in detail though.

You should also check out Turner Downs - which is a few miles from Brighton Forest (but no city taxes!). No new construction, but beautiful neighborhood with custom homes on large lots. The developer took lots of care to keep up many of the existing mature hardwoods. You can PM me for more info.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:05 PM

8 posts, read 14,533 times
The neigborhood has been very busy with new construction and quick turnaround. The house next door to us was built over the winter and sold before it was completed. There are many pre-sales now (pre-sold lots to homeowners, not builders-the builder will build to suit). In the first quarter of 2012, BF was one of the best selling neighborhoods in Wake County. We had a sign up for a while that said "14 sales in 14 weeks" or something like that.

As a resident of 2 years, that seems accurate to me. The builders have been busy with new homes and street extensions.

The neighborhood is in your price range. Lots are larger-ours in 1/3 acre. We enjoy living here-the neighborhood is quiet and is great for biking, walking, jogging. The pool is fun, too-they have "adult swim" for 10 min at the end of every hour (that's when I do laps). We've met a lot of nice folks here.

We are 10-15 minutes from Fuquay-Varina. I'd guess we were 30-40 min from the power plant, depending on traffic/time of day. We get city water rates (instead of having to pay unincorporated water rates), which is good if you have irrigation for grass/plants.

LMK if you want any more info.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:40 AM

9 posts, read 17,050 times
Thank you both so much for the information! I drove through BF during the Parade last October and it was a lovely community. I'm glad to hear that they are actively selling and that you're pleased with the community. It will definitely be on my list of communities to visit when I come to NC in a couple of weeks. I will drive through Turner Downs, as well!

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary