Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:01 PM

519 posts, read 981,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tianwaifeixian View Post
I just heard that there is a nuclear plant located just around 20-30 miles away from Raleigh. It is the most unsafe nuclear plant in U.S.

After the Japanese nuclear disaster, I am really concerned about this plant that is located so close to the residential area...

What can we do???

Here is an article about the nuclear plant:

Nuclear Waste Pools in North Carolina

"One of the most lethal patches of ground in North America is located in the backwoods of North Carolina, where Shearon Harris nuclear plant is housed and owned by Progress Energy. The plant contains the largest radioactive waste storage pools in the country. "

Moderator cut: Copyright violation -- please post a link and "snippet" only, per the Terms of Service.
So you grabbed onto an article from a sensationalized "advocacy" group to make what point?

Many of the residential areas surrounding Shearon Harris were built around the nuclear power plant, not the other way around.

Frankly, I'm always more concerned about a plane coming to or leaving RDU crashing into a residential area since that has happened more in this country than a nuclear power plant meltdown.

Last edited by kingyouth; 03-30-2011 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: I can't spell correctly.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:08 PM

519 posts, read 981,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I wish they build another one. It'd be better than some tacky housing development built on scrap land with 13 nasty drainage ponds just so we have enough houses crammed in to serve the relos from all over the US.
I wonder if Duke Energy will build another one after they purchase Progress Energy.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:09 PM

84 posts, read 159,075 times
Although, a nuclear emergency is now more likely to happen in Apex than a hazardous waste storage facility exploding.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:30 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,653,302 times
Quote:
What can we do???
You should move. It is terribly dangerous here. You need to leave ASAP.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:43 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
I wonder if Duke Energy will build another one after they purchase Progress Energy.
They may want to. Whether it would be approved is another matter.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:19 AM

515 posts, read 1,716,418 times
Seriously!! Wow, you really do buy into propoganda don't you. I guess you did not hear that the plant can be pretty much be turned off with the flip of a swithch because it is nothing like chernobyl or any of them in Japan. Amazing how those media type folks you listen too leave out pertinant information.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:34 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,952,176 times
I have a friend that works at the Shearon Harris plant and she gets so mad that the media can put out any story they want without any checks and balances, causing people like the OP to get scared or worried over nothing.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:43 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,653,302 times
At one time the plant would have an open house annually. Not sure if they still do, but it would be worth the OP checking out.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:43 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,687,619 times
Quote:
I just heard that there is a nuclear plant located just around 20-30 miles away from Raleigh. It is the most unsafe nuclear plant in U.S.

After the Japanese nuclear disaster, I am really concerned about this plant that is located so close to the residential area...

What can we do???
We can avoid scheduling a 9.0 earthquake on the east coast.

We can stop using electricity.

In all seriousness...it is only natural in the wake of a major disaster that kills thousands of people and destroys infrastructure for some to react with anxiety and make them wonder....what if it happened to me? The constant stream of disturbing images we get to see doesn't help. The threat of a nuclear meltdown hanging over a country that has already been devastated is enough to make me crawl under the bed if I think about it too much.

I'm sure if a plane crashed on take off and landed in a residential area anywhere in the world and killed a lot of people, those who live near RDU would reevaluate.

This, too, shall pass.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:50 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,495,908 times
I think a grassroots movement to shut down Sherron Harris will work, get on it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary