Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 08:39 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times

Advertisements

My sister moved here without a job 3 years ago....it's all worked out great for her, but even she sometimes says "I don't know what I was thinking"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 08:47 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
They may have been the case back then, but I am just not seeing current threads where people are quitting jobs elsewhere to move down here with no money and no job. But then I don't spend as much time on here as some do.
They're on here.

It's kinda scary that people would do that in the current economy.

Then again, I never know what sort of jobs they're quitting. Are they working at McDonald's? They can probably get fast food work around here, yanno?

Old 05-19-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
My sister moved here without a job 3 years ago....it's all worked out great for her, but even she sometimes says "I don't know what I was thinking"!

Did she post about it here?

See, if I WAS gonna do something wacky, I'd prolly keep it on the down low. Hehehe.

I'm glad it worked out so well for her. That's a good thing!

Old 05-19-2011, 08:56 AM

804 posts, read 2,004,659 times
i virtually stand up & applaud the original post. i have the mindset not because of a particular person in mind, but because of many of the posts that i see on this forum where people inquire about moving here because (a) they heard it was nice, (b) they assume it's cheaper, & (c) they "just want to get out of XYZ". the problem with a combination of this is that while the area may be nice & may be cheaper, there are still relocation costs to factor in together with job-searching & the like.

this area is fully saturated with a very, very educated population & that educated population continues to grow as UNC, NC state, duke, & other area universities are cranking out graduates that choose to stay in the area by the thousands.

i think the cautionary questions & comments that are made are done with an eye toward being realistic that the job market is tight in every U.S. state right now; that jobs are not plentiful; that jobs are able to pay less because of the high demand & large pool of applicants; & that job-searching will be intensive & may take time. add to that the fact that many may attempt to locate a job from out-of-state & find it far more difficult because the in-area applicant numbers are so high (& really, unless someone from out-of-state is head & shoulders above in-area applicants, why pay more in relocation costs for the new hire?).

add into this the fact that i think many prospective relocatees seem to assume finding a job for one partner will be easy while the other partner works. perhaps so, but i'm going to wager there's at least a 50-50 shot on that & how does the family handle additional relocation costs, perhaps double housing costs (mortgage &/or rent plus any utilities in at least 2 locations), & perhaps loss of contact with family & friends? it's frustrating to hear the complaints of these people who blame the area rather than their own choices placing them in this situation.

maybe i have an issue with personal responsibility (or at the least, the lack of accepting personal responsibility) & so out of an abundance of caution we inquire of someone where their job will be located in order to help them sort out a location that may work for them. the triangle area has much to offer many different folks across a slew of categories -- families, singles, blue collar, white collar, every ethnicity, & the like. but part of our good southern upbringing is to help one find a place that welcomes them & a place they can thrive.

mayhaps i feel like a bad southerner if i fail to point out possible issues/concerns.

(sorry for the long post ... i guess it was my chapter in support of the OP.)

Old 05-19-2011, 08:59 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
They may have been the case back then, but I am just not seeing current threads where people are quitting jobs elsewhere to move down here with no money and no job. But then I don't spend as much time on here as some do.
Oh yeah no doubt it's definitely much more toned down from what it was back then, that's why I was saying I wish Meh could have seen what it was like back then.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:27 AM

102 posts, read 232,460 times
I totally agree with most of what you're saying, meh, but I also believe that sometimes you have to take some risk in order to get to a better place. No, you shouldn't buy an expensive house in an area you know little about with a job situation that's iffy. But honestly, I'm not hugely opposed to the same situation with renting substituted for buying... not sure about the risking the lives of a whole family thing... but! If you're not happy with your life, sometimes taking a risk is the only way to improve your lot. You just need to recognize that it is indeed a risk, and prepare for that - things won't always work out. If you do your research, though, you'll improve your chances, and if it still doesn't work out, you can try again.
I guess I'm saying this from the standpoint of someone who has little to lose (still a student. no job), so I can see how risk-taking is less attractive for someone with a family to worry about, and a semi-comfortable life at their current residence. But the idea of giving up on something that could become great for you because others have failed is sort of sad for me.
If I do move to the Triangle, I'll have to take the risk of taking NC's regional dental exam before I can even start applying for jobs as a dentist in the area. It's a huge investment for someone living off of student loans. But I'd like to give it a shot.

I hope that I'm not being too naive. I realize paying off my loans is going to be a scary task, and I have no idea how difficult it will be to find a job as a dentist in the Triangle. I know there aren't a ton of dentists in North Carolina (I hear it's hard to pass that exam), but my guess is what dentists there are are concentrated in the Triangle area - especially considering the fact that UNC contains your states only dental school. But I want to start my career in a place I think I'll enjoy. I've only been a couple times, but both times were awesome, and I already know I don't enjoy myself in Buffalo because it's too cold... Don't worry, I'll visit again before moving. That move can't happen for at least another year anyway.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxwolf View Post
I totally agree with most of what you're saying, meh, but I also believe that sometimes you have to take some risk in order to get to a better place. No, you shouldn't buy an expensive house in an area you know little about with a job situation that's iffy. But honestly, I'm not hugely opposed to the same situation with renting substituted for buying... not sure about the risking the lives of a whole family thing... but! If you're not happy with your life, sometimes taking a risk is the only way to improve your lot. You just need to recognize that it is indeed a risk, and prepare for that - things won't always work out. If you do your research, though, you'll improve your chances, and if it still doesn't work out, you can try again.
I guess I'm saying this from the standpoint of someone who has little to lose (still a student. no job), so I can see how risk-taking is less attractive for someone with a family to worry about, and a semi-comfortable life at their current residence. But the idea of giving up on something that could become great for you because others have failed is sort of sad for me.
If I do move to the Triangle, I'll have to take the risk of taking NC's regional dental exam before I can even start applying for jobs as a dentist in the area. It's a huge investment for someone living off of student loans. But I'd like to give it a shot.
If you pass the dental exam and move here, you'll have work. We seem to have plenty of dentists, but not that many who are really great.

I do agree that if you're going to take a chance, doing it while you don't have a house full of other people to consider makes way more sense.

Heck, doing it with a family, but renting sensibly or buying a home that's a will give you a mortgage lower than rent for a similar (modest) rental makes some sense, but why have the hassle of trying to sell it if your move turns out to be a bust? Seems like streamlining any sort of major move process is the smartest thing, unless you've got a company transfer and a job lined up with relo assistance, etc.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Oh yeah no doubt it's definitely much more toned down from what it was back then, that's why I was saying I wish Meh could have seen what it was like back then.

I probably would've been lambasted (er... more than I already am sometimes) for telling people what I really think. It's empathy on my part, not nastiness. But... kind of like the magical thinking that drives them, people are gonna see whatever they want to see.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:39 AM

102 posts, read 232,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
If you pass the dental exam and move here, you'll have work. We seem to have plenty of dentists, but not that many who are really great.
I'm great! Haha, at least I like to think so... I'm still a little green, but they say most dentists are at their best when they've recently graduated dental school
I do have my partner to worry about too, but she's pretty flexible with the jobs she's willing to take, and I guess we don't have to move at the exact same time - though I can't be without her too long! I'm not one of those hardcore partners who can go for like a year living apart

Old 05-19-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxwolf View Post
I'm great! Haha, at least I like to think so... I'm still a little green, but they say most dentists are at their best when they've recently graduated dental school
I'd say that's gotta be true. The dentists who keep their education current are always going to do well. I just don't think that many of them are adding to their bag of tricks.

Oh... and I do wish more of them were in network with major dental insurance providers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary