Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 12:37 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,844 times

Advertisements

What are the best public pools in the Raleigh area? I say public pools since I'm not interested in paying membership dues anywhere. I'm particularly looking for an outdoor pool, but it is up to you to determine the criteria for what is "best."

I am a Raleigh resident and am closest to Lake Johnson. Pullen Park and Ridge Road are pretty close as well, but I'd consider driving across town if there's a really nice pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 06:56 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
I'm actually not going to tell you or it won't be a great pool anymore. Not because you would start going but because you and everybody else would start going. I must say this pool is a Raleigh city pool. It's a 30 minute drive from my house. There are 2 other city pools between my house and this pool. Yes, it's that worth it.

The busiest I ever saw it last year was a total of 20 people there. Awesome kiddie park and large pool. It's fantastic. I talked to one of the employees there last year about why it's never busy and she said nobody knows about the pool because it's hidden. It is hidden and I hope it stays that way.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:05 PM

748 posts, read 1,376,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I'm actually not going to tell you or it won't be a great pool anymore. Not because you would start going but because you and everybody else would start going. I must say this pool is a Raleigh city pool. It's a 30 minute drive from my house. There are 2 other city pools between my house and this pool. Yes, it's that worth it.

The busiest I ever saw it last year was a total of 20 people there. Awesome kiddie park and large pool. It's fantastic. I talked to one of the employees there last year about why it's never busy and she said nobody knows about the pool because it's hidden. It is hidden and I hope it stays that way.

WOW....why did you even post this??? Wouldnt it be nice to share with your community....

Old 05-27-2011, 07:45 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Let's see.

Here is info on City of Raleigh pools: ( http://www.raleighnc.gov/arts/conten...IndexPage.html )

The three main lap pools are:

Optimist
Pullen
Millbrook

I've been to Optimist and Pullen with my son who was on a swim team. They were quite crowded.

Never been to Millbrook, even though out of the three, it's closest to Brentwood. It has a great kiddie pool area. It's sort of hidden.

Hmmm.

Other pools, that are seasonal, are:

Lake Johnson Pool - has a kiddie "sprayground"
Longview Pool
Ridge Road Pool - has a kiddie "sprayground"
Biltmore Pool
Chavis Pool - has a kiddie "sprayground"

I'd guess the "hidden" uncrowded pool with kiddie facilities is the Ridge Road Pool. It's at 1709 Ridge Rd in Raleigh and opens June 4th.

Let's all check it out.

Quote:

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 05-27-2011 at 08:09 PM..

Old 05-27-2011, 08:07 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,217 times
Lets all go to Millbrook and pee in the pool just to tick UnderPSI off ;-)

Old 05-27-2011, 08:36 PM

814 posts, read 2,007,444 times
I live very near the Ridge Road pool and would not say it is hidden. In the summer afternoon, the city drops off busloads of camp kids. And on weekends, it can be quite crowded. They have a swim team, great life guards, etc. It is quiet in the morning when only the kiddy pool is open for an hour before the other pool...but that's it.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:45 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Does anyone have info about Millbrook -- whether it's generally crowded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usedtobe VaNC View Post
I live very near the Ridge Road pool and would not say it is hidden. In the summer afternoon, the city drops off busloads of camp kids. And on weekends, it can be quite crowded. They have a swim team, great life guards, etc. It is quiet in the morning when only the kiddy pool is open for an hour before the other pool...but that's it.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:00 PM

365 posts, read 1,208,620 times
Quote:

Okay, you're keeping this pool a secret to keep attendance low (20 ppl. max based on your experience). Let's assume that the city of Raleigh doesn't have the tax $ to keep all their pools/parks open (not a stretch, is it?), so they shut down the one(s) that have the lowest attendance, those that don't make enough money to justify their existence. It might be a good idea for you to rave about the pool to others to make sure that it stays alive and kicking. This kills me about people and restaurants - some people want to keep a great restaurant their own secret, for their own little thrill of exclusivity, but that secretivity might just be what makes the restaurant go under. Pretty sad.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:26 PM

294 posts, read 829,510 times
great topic. any pools that allow for the daily dropping off of kids?

Old 05-27-2011, 09:43 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Lets all go to Millbrook and pee in the pool just to tick UnderPSI off ;-)
Er, let's not...I swim there 2-3 times per week for masters.

Pullen, Millbrook and Optimist are all indoor facilities, at least for their main pools.

- Pullen is a 50-meter competition-level facility with separate shallow, warm pool.

- Optimist and Millbrook were both formerly outdoor facilities where the city has "permanently" bubbled over the main pools with fabric tension structures. Optimist's main pool is a 50-meter facility, and there are outdoor diving and kiddie pools. Millbrook is a smaller 25-yard facility indoors with a kiddie pool and sprayground outside.

Hard to say about how busy they are, as it depends on when you plan to visit. Lanes at some of the pools are dedicated for age group and masters swimming, so probably best to check the pool schedules for details. I can't speak to daytime crowdedness on weekdays or weekends, as I'm only there in the evenings for practice, and things never seem particularly crowded at any of the pools.

I am unfamiliar with the five seasonal outdoor pools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary