Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:16 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times

Advertisements

^^^ Hard to get tough when unfunded mandates are in the state constitution. There's a change coming, but it's going to be s-l-o-w, and will probably be 2 steps forward and one step back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 12:41 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,840,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRN View Post
Hi, everyone, I got this offer from WakeMed cary as a FT RN with $22 plus some cents (day shift) per hour. It is much lower than what I've expected. Is it a good/normal pay for a RN with more than two years med-surg experience?
Also is this a great hospital to work at?
I appreciate any input or comments.

thanks in advance.
^^ Original topic ^^

Old 06-10-2011, 02:12 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Either live with it, and enjoy the SE US, or go back up to Long Island, make your $80k, and pay $500,000 for a townhome in the ghetto!
> .... implying that the Southeast and Long Island are the ONLY places in the US to live... There's a big country out there.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:55 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,173,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
> .... implying that the Southeast and Long Island are the ONLY places in the US to live... There's a big country out there.
So true.

We've lived in (chronological order)

LI
Los Angeles
Kansas City, KS
Manhattan NYC
LI
Manhattan NYC
Edison, NJ
New Orleans
Raleigh (since 1989)

Many choices

Old 06-10-2011, 08:26 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
On page #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Not down here....salary ranges in this area start out at a low $20/hr for a new grad to a max of approx mid 30's per hour for someone with several years of experience. This is for basic day shift, with additional money (differential) for weekends, holidays, off shifts.

In the northeast, it is not unusuasl for an RN with several years of experience to be making 70-80K/year - even more in the larger more metropolitan areas.
That is why I wrote what I wrote. Context is everything.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:29 AM

399 posts, read 701,169 times
While quite a different patient population, when I was in nursing in NC (eons ago), the VA in Durham paid the most and being a federal employee is a great benefit.
Of course, you can always go to grad school at some point - public health is and will be a hot field. UNC-CH has one of the best schools in the country.
I would pick public health management and practice or epidemiology.
I am a federal employee now and have no fear of losing my job - very fortunate.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:20 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,256,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRN View Post
Hi, everyone, I got this offer from WakeMed cary as a FT RN with $22 plus some cents (day shift) per hour. It is much lower than what I've expected. Is it a good/normal pay for a RN with more than two years med-surg experience?
Also is this a great hospital to work at?
I appreciate any input or comments.

thanks in advance.
Congrats on your job offer! My niece just graduated nursing school and IMMEDIATELY got a job! It sounds like the "cream of the crop" can always get a job!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary