Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 10:44 PM

3 posts, read 6,159 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone, I got this offer from WakeMed cary as a FT RN with $22 plus some cents (day shift) per hour. It is much lower than what I've expected. Is it a good/normal pay for a RN with more than two years med-surg experience?
Also is this a great hospital to work at?
I appreciate any input or comments.

thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 03:28 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,420,100 times
Sad to say but $22/hr is pretty average for a couple of years experience. I know nurses with 10 yrs experience who are only making $25/hr. Nursing salaries are significantly lower down here. Jobs in nursing are not as plentiful as they were in previous years. I'd take the job, You can always keep looking while you work there.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:02 AM

286 posts, read 685,261 times
That is what you can expect to earn around here at any of the hospitals with only 2 years experience. I'm happy that you have an offer! As the previous poster said, nursing jobs here are not plentiful and the competition is fierce.

I took a HUGE paycut moving here from Houston and the cost of living is not great for me. I earn less and keep/save less. I'm not trying to bash the area; I just want others moving here to know the reality of living here.

~Amy

Old 06-07-2011, 06:05 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaderGirl View Post
That is what you can expect to earn around here at any of the hospitals with only 2 years experience. I'm happy that you have an offer! As the previous poster said, nursing jobs here are not plentiful and the competition is fierce.

I took a HUGE paycut moving here from Houston and the cost of living is not great for me. I earn less and keep/save less. I'm not trying to bash the area; I just want others moving here to know the reality of living here.

~Amy
Thank you. I think people should know what all the negatives are before moving here.

They seem to already have a firm grasp of the positives or they would be so eager to come.

Oh. And an aside? Nurses should make more money.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:18 AM

735 posts, read 1,584,144 times
Rex pays higher than Wake Med. Duke pays less than both, has not frozen salaries, and gives pay raises like clock work. Make your pick!

Old 06-07-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan63 View Post
Rex pays higher than Wake Med. Duke pays less than both, has not frozen salaries, and gives pay raises like clock work. Make your pick!
Husband I both work for Duke and yes, we get regular raises, for which we are thankful. He took at 35-40% paycut when we moved down here. I'm a nurse practitioner and make more - go figure?!?

Old 06-07-2011, 08:55 AM

119 posts, read 394,110 times
Pretty average sounding. I know some nurses at my hospital with a few years experience make about $22-23 per hour. As someone else said, you can take it & see how things go. There are so many hospitals, all with different advantages so figure out what works best for you. If I had not gone per diem moving here, I think I may have taken a $1-2 per hour paycut with 3 years in my area & total 7 years experience.

Good luck!

Old 06-07-2011, 09:50 AM

3 posts, read 6,159 times
This is my first time ever of posting question on a public web. I really appreciate everyone's comments.

This is a day shift and the unit already have weekend staffs, so unlikely i will get benefit from shift/weekend diff. It is very disappointed thinking that what i could earn just barely cover the cost of my kids' daycare cost. but like what you suggested, i could take the job for now, and hope i will love it.
BTW, anyone knows if wakemed has regular salary raise, e.g. twice a year? The hospital I used to worked at does so.

Thank you again, and bless us all.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:24 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,180,246 times
Wow. I was under the impression that nurses made WAY more than that!

Old 06-07-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
Wow. I was under the impression that nurses made WAY more than that!
Not down here....salary ranges in this area start out at a low $20/hr for a new grad to a max of approx mid 30's per hour for someone with several years of experience. This is for basic day shift, with additional money (differential) for weekends, holidays, off shifts.

In the northeast, it is not unusuasl for an RN with several years of experience to be making 70-80K/year - even more in the larger more metropolitan areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary