Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 05:13 PM

441 posts, read 1,292,361 times

Advertisements

My wife started out in the low 20's a few years back at Raleigh Duke, moved into the health insurance field a few years back and is now making the same as her northern salary. There's more out there than just hospitals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 08:27 PM

3 posts, read 6,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchz1 View Post
My wife started out in the low 20's a few years back at Raleigh Duke, moved into the health insurance field a few years back and is now making the same as her northern salary. There's more out there than just hospitals.
Wow, thanks dchz1, it's good to know ealth insurance needs Rn. too. I heard there are lots of other opportunities for RN out side of hospital settings, but I just don't know what or where. Could you tell me where or how i can find more info on that or how do i know if there are openings? Thank you very much.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:31 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
You might also look to see if any of the local big pharma companies want RNs for their clinical trials.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:07 AM

286 posts, read 685,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csbjornstad View Post
It is my impression that you don't want anyone to move to the Raleigh area...you are always disuading people to not move to Raleigh. I apologize if I was a little obnoxious in my approach.

Yes, I do have an idea of what nurses do. I worked in a nursing home for seven years. I recognize that they provide an invaluable service to our society and help to care for the ill and indigent. Yet, why should they make more money than others? I worked with many nurses who made more money than I did; yet, I had more education and more experience in healthcare. I am not disgruntle; there was a low supply of nurses and we paid them for their title and license to work in our nursing home.

Yet, in our current economic environment, with a large supply of nurses, they should not be greedy....but thankful they can find a job.
Most areas do not have a large supply of nurses. This particular area does due to the amount of nursing schools here and the amount of GNs they crank out every semester. We are saturated with nurses.

Nurses are not being greedy when asking for adequate compensation. You may know what nurses do from working in a nursing home but did you ever actually talk to them about working 12 hours shifts with heavy lifting frequently required? It is a very physically and emotionally demanding job. I have to put up with a lot of abuse from patients and their families. At some hospitals nurses also put up with abuse from physicians. (Thank goodness that is absolutely NOT allowed where I work.) Yes, we are all thankful to have a job and I actually love what I do for a living. That does not mean that I want to do it for crap pay. I made almost double in Houston what I made when I first moved here. Now I am in management so my pay is closer to what I was used to. The Triangle area does not pay nurses enough. Period. If you disagree, go ahead and tell the nurses that the next time you need care. We are the ones who advocate for the patients with physicians. We are the ones who hold your hand when your child is getting prepped for emergency surgery, helping you stay strong for the sake of your fragile child. We are the ones who stand on our feet/run the halls all day for 12 hours at a time. We are the ones who often have to skip lunch due to patient acuity/staffing shortages/patient ratios/procedure schedules. Shoot, I am happy when I have the chance to PEE on my shift. Oh, and who helps catch any med errors physicians may make in the hospital (they are human after all)....it's the NURSES!!!!!

I also happen to think that teachers, firefighters, our military, and police officers should get paid more.

~Amy

Old 06-08-2011, 06:38 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,092,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRN View Post
Wow, thanks dchz1, it's good to know ealth insurance needs Rn. too. I heard there are lots of other opportunities for RN out side of hospital settings, but I just don't know what or where. Could you tell me where or how i can find more info on that or how do i know if there are openings? Thank you very much.
I have a neighbor who works the 9-5 thing for SAS (software company, but they have onsite health care), and I don't know about pay but they are known for spoiling their employees to ridiculous levels, and may even have a daycare on site.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:51 AM

55 posts, read 148,546 times
csbjornstad just has no idea how different one nurse can be from the next. You cant compare someone working in a nursing home taking care of old people to a nurse that works in an operating some, surgical unit, intensive care unit, etc. Its a completely different level of nursing, they are almost like second doctors at that level.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mteele View Post
csbjornstad just has no idea how different one nurse can be from the next. You cant compare someone working in a nursing home taking care of old people to a nurse that works in an operating some, surgical unit, intensive care unit, etc. Its a completely different level of nursing, they are almost like second doctors at that level.

That's a very good point. Pediatric emergency, labor and delivery, and high risk obstetrics are the specialties I've worked in and all of those require a very different level of autonomy than a nursing home nurse (no offense to those very hard working, caring, awesome individuals). The MDs I work with expect the nursing staff to have an extremely large knowledge base and they actually listen to our assessment and recommendations and usually do what we tell them is required from the nursing standpoint. They ask our opinion and have us double check things with them. To be told that I shouldn't be greedy and should just be happy to have a job is an extreme insult. I give everything I have to my patients when I am at work and I can promise you that there are countless women out there whose babies are alive and well as a direct result of something I did for them.

~Amy

Old 06-08-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
I have a neighbor who works the 9-5 thing for SAS (software company, but they have onsite health care), and I don't know about pay but they are known for spoiling their employees to ridiculous levels, and may even have a daycare on site.
Yeah, SAS is the place to be. I wish I could get on there. There is almost no turnover in their medical department. It's a fantastic company.

~Amy

Old 06-08-2011, 07:57 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,840,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRN View Post
Hi, everyone, I got this offer from WakeMed cary as a FT RN with $22 plus some cents (day shift) per hour. It is much lower than what I've expected. Is it a good/normal pay for a RN with more than two years med-surg experience?
Also is this a great hospital to work at?
I appreciate any input or comments.

thanks in advance.
Just a reminder, folks, that ^^ this ^^ is what the OP is asking about. Please stay on topic.

Thanks!

Old 06-08-2011, 09:11 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times
I lived in the suburbs of NJ for a brief period and a small 1 bedroom apartment in an old house there was over $1000, IIRC my rent was $1100/month for under 500 sq ft. That was circa 2003. 5 years later I bought a 3 year old 2000 sq ft house w/ 2 car garage for less than that per month. You really can't point at salaries in the NE or elsewhere and assume you are getting screwed when getting paid less.

Raleigh has large medical education facilities, I know my doctors office has very few patients compared to the one I went to in Virginia Beach. My guess is people don't really move from the area, making for a large supply of available talent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary