Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:11 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times

Advertisements

Brief aside, but am I the only one who really fails to see the point of 3D, except for higher movie ticket prices?

I mean, for some movies (like, say, Avatar) it might make sense, but it seems like 3D is being hawked as superior for ALL movies... I cannot see why.

Or, maybe I'm cranky because 3D movies give me a headache.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 09:32 AM

9 posts, read 17,792 times
Southpoint IMAX in Durham opened with Pirates 4 on May 20th. I still haven't made it out that way for a film yet (maybe when a better film opens).

Haven't been to the Marbles IMAX since they converted from film to digital and remodeled. I'm still finding it hard to believe the new digital IMAX projectors can have nearly as good a picture on the truly giant screens as the film projectors did. Saving on the 50 thousand dollar per film print costs probably have more to do with conversion than anything. I'm sure new seats will help. The old seats were designed for the 30-45 minute educational films not 2 hour features.

The Regal IMAX at Crossroads in Cary is fine. They basically put in a new larger screen and put it closer to the audience. Plus a new sound system and IMAX digital projector.

The way each place handles pricing for a movie is the interesting thing.
Marbles is $11.95 for all screenings, Southpoint is $11.50 for matinee or $14 for evenings and Crossroads is $15.00 for all screenings.

All do 3D and it's the same cost for 2D or 3D.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwalkerx View Post
Southpoint IMAX in Durham opened with Pirates 4 on May 20th. I still haven't made it out that way for a film yet (maybe when a better film opens).

Haven't been to the Marbles IMAX since they converted from film to digital and remodeled. I'm still finding it hard to believe the new digital IMAX projectors can have nearly as good a picture on the truly giant screens as the film projectors did. Saving on the 50 thousand dollar per film print costs probably have more to do with conversion than anything. I'm sure new seats will help. The old seats were designed for the 30-45 minute educational films not 2 hour features.

The Regal IMAX at Crossroads in Cary is fine. They basically put in a new larger screen and put it closer to the audience. Plus a new sound system and IMAX digital projector.

The way each place handles pricing for a movie is the interesting thing.
Marbles is $11.95 for all screenings, Southpoint is $11.50 for matinee or $14 for evenings and Crossroads is $15.00 for all screenings.

All do 3D and it's the same cost for 2D or 3D.

I'll hafta check out Southpoint at the matinee. Sounds like that's the deal, as it's easier to park out there and there's food nearby.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:27 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,079,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I'll hafta check out Southpoint at the matinee. Sounds like that's the deal, as it's easier to park out there and there's food nearby.
For $11.50 they don't include food?

Pretty sure Marbles still has the BOGO IMAX if you're a member.

Frank

Old 06-08-2011, 10:29 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,923,224 times
All this talk of pricing made me remember a trip to Malaysia a few years back. We were in Kuala Lumpur and it was H-O-T, so we got tickets to a showing of "Da Vinci Code" (poorly subtitled) and it was like $1.50 for the tickets (this was a new release at the time, not a dollar theatre). This included fancy seats and duvets to cover your legs if you got cold. They had food service INSIDE the theatre, similar to Raleighwood. It was great.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
All this talk of pricing made me remember a trip to Malaysia a few years back. We were in Kuala Lumpur and it was H-O-T, so we got tickets to a showing of "Da Vinci Code" (poorly subtitled) and it was like $1.50 for the tickets (this was a new release at the time, not a dollar theatre). This included fancy seats and duvets to cover your legs if you got cold. They had food service INSIDE the theatre, similar to Raleighwood. It was great.

Hmm... I'll remember this if I'm ever in Malaysia. Sounds sweet!

Old 06-08-2011, 10:35 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,923,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Hmm... I'll remember this if I'm ever in Malaysia. Sounds sweet!
Everything was cheap there. We stayed a whole week at the Ritz Carlton for $100/night! Including full butler service, etc. It was insane.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:02 AM

251 posts, read 515,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
This sort of relates to the original question....

Haven't been to the one at Marbles (although I've been to Marbles WAY too much with my 2 year old - hehe) since the renovation. Can anyone tell us how it compares (before/after)?
I have 3 kids- 6 1/2 and 2 1/2 twins, so we live at Marbles....the renovation of the museum is really nice. My twins love it! There are some really cool things upstairs for bigger kids that my 6 1/2 year old likes--the room that used to be the "international" room has a huge piggy bank that holds plastic balls and there's a pizza place (pretend) that the kids can make "pizzas" and it has a stationary delivery bike. It has a pet shop and there is a play thing in the middle with a slide. It's hard to describe but it is much nicer than it was last summer...I see Imax has Cars 2 coming soon and my 6 year old is dying to see it....Crossroads is closer but I think the one at Marbles would be fun, too.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:15 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
I heard they are building one at Southpoint in Durham....
Are they going to call it the DIMAX?

Old 06-08-2011, 12:18 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
I went to see the Thor 3D at Marble's IMAX a month ago. I loved the theater and the seats were REALLY comfortable and roomy. I was happy to sit in a seat that actually rocked!!! I agree with others that the concession stand is pretty weak but it's not terribly expensive either. I guess I never thought about the parking since I can just walk or take the Rline bus there for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary