Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 12:36 PM

843 posts, read 2,100,794 times

Advertisements

Speaking of theaters with food, I was in an AMC "Fork and Screen" Theater up in NJ. It was OUTSTANDING. Good food with very comfy seats. Cant wait till they have that here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 12:58 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,827,742 times
I was chatting with a theater manager and he told me that the new 3D technology ("Real3D") has been very widely accepted by the public: no headaches, easy to see, few crossed eyes, etc..

However, he sometimes shows a movie simultaneously in both 3D and 2D, and since the new-ness had worn out, they are actually getting more ticket sales in the 2D side. They do charge $1.50 more for the 3D, but that is just to cover the glasses.

He and I chatted a bit and he agreed that most 3D movies out now are just regular 2D, with some 3D effects:
Drive Angry,
Fast Furious 4,
Toy Story 1, 2;
Clash of Titans

but some were crafted and shot to make use of the 3D and are well worth it:
Tron Legacy
Megamind
How to train your dragon
(very well done 3D)
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Avatar (the first and still the most effective)

It seems that animated movies made after Real3D came out are easily made to fully utilize point of view positioning so that the 3D is great, but only a few live action shows are filmed suchly.

Any other suggestions as to which movies were great in 3D? Which ones to pass, and see 'em in 2D?

Old 06-08-2011, 06:02 PM

226 posts, read 506,994 times
I have a hard time paying the extra for a 3D movie, especially when the 3D is disappointing. I generally dislike the cinema anyway because of the other, annoying moviegoers, but some things I really want to see on the big screen.

I saw Voyage of the Dawn Treader in 3D and found it rather 'meh'. It was my first modern 3D experience and rather underwhelming. Some of the previews, however, were stunning.

Most recently I saw Thor in 3D at the IMAX Crossroads. I'm still not sure the movie took full advantage of the 3D, but it was significantly better than VOTDT. I'd love to see it again on a bigger screen. I was impressed with the clarity of the screen and the power of the sound in the theater.

A friend of mine told me that the IMAX in Charlotte is way superior to anything we have here. I'll have to check it out the next time I'm there.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:16 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,827 times
So I was led to a burger joint due to another thread.

This thread led me to Southpoint Cinemas today to watch Pirates of the Carribean and check out their IMAX experience. Well, go get my daughter out of school earlier than usual and rush to the other side of Durham to get to the three o'clock showing. Was told they had to cancel it due to technical difficulties and no one changed it on the website. So I just watched the 2D showing since the time was close by. Talked to the manager and told her about my disappointment and that I could have went to Brier Creek or Northgate for a 2D or 3D movie. She have me two free tickets when I asked her if she had a coupon or some sort of compensation so I ain't mad.

After my movie, I saw the big IMAX sign and the roped off doors. So I decided to sneak in and take a look at the layout. Wouldn't you know they were showing a movie in there to a small crowd. I don't know the movie but it didn't seem as something new. I wonder if they got a group to pay to watch a movie and decided to cancel the three o'clock I rushed to. I hope not but didn't ask. Just went on my way.

The 3D glasses for the IMAX are different than the real3D glasses. And the screen for the IMAX isn't really as curved as the one at the Discovery Zone in Charolette I am used to. That one is like sitting inside a ball, how curved it is.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:01 PM

9 posts, read 17,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post

The 3D glasses for the IMAX are different than the real3D glasses. And the screen for the IMAX isn't really as curved as the one at the Discovery Zone in Charolette I am used to. That one is like sitting inside a ball, how curved it is.
The IMAX at Discovery Place is a IMAX Dome (Formerly Ominimax) a bit closer to a planetarium in form.

As to glasses The IMAX and Dolby-3D kind are re-used and washed in a special washer.
IMAX at Crossroads use these ->

REAL-D usually look like these ->

Dolby-3D which Southpoint also uses ->

Theoretically DOLBY-3D and IMAX 3D are superior 3D systems to REAL-D but it all depends on how well the theater is run in reality. That and if the film is actually filmed with 3D cameras as opposed to being converted after the fact.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:18 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
I don't get the parking complaints in regard to Marbles. There's a deck right next door to the museum. Exercise your legs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary