Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 07:27 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,768,827 times

Advertisements

I think those bike signs are a joke for areas like Six Forks Road between Hw98 and Possum Track Road. When I moved here in 84' sure, but today with all the 540 cut-through traffic ... no way. I use that route a lot hauling my boat to and from the Upper Barton boat ramp and there is just not room for 2 vehicles coming in opposite directions when one is hauling a boat and trailer along with a biker(s) there as well. It's a shame because that use to be a nice stretch of country road ... I value my life too much to risk it riding a bicycle on such dangerous roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 11:15 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
It is scary. They ride all over High House Road and the surrounding area in packs - not single file.

Riding abreast (in packs) makes sense to me under a lot of circumstances. If the lane is too narrow, such that approaching driver must get into another lane (either in the same direction or oncoming), then it isn't a big deal to have them go all the way over to the other lane. And at that point it is much easier to get around a pack of riders than a long line of them.

I don't like large groups of riders in either formation. Break into smaller packs so that traffic can still maneuver.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:39 AM

205 posts, read 487,490 times
New Light Road is scary in a *car* -- too many yokels careening around corners and over hills as if they're the only vehicle on the road. I always want to drive with two wheels off the right side of the road just in case one of those folks is coming over the hill as I'm approaching it.

Re: bike lanes, Cary has quite a few. Raleigh, not so much. I spent an entertaining hour browsing through the map of what Raleigh considers "bike routes" one day.

I prefer biking in parks and woods too.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:36 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
DOT recently completed a statewide survey of bicycle and pedestrian safety in NC. Links below:

Synthesis Report Press Release
https://apps.dot.state.nc.us/pio/rel...ls.aspx?r=4900

Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety Strategies in North Carolina: Statewide Input and Priorities
http://www.ncdot.gov/bikeped/downloa...Report2011.pdf

Synthesis Report Appendices
http://www.ncdot.gov/bikeped/downloa...ndices2011.pdf

Frank

Old 06-20-2011, 07:00 AM

75 posts, read 195,740 times
Cyclist do have a right to be on the road but it seems like they are the ones who don't understand the term "share". In the past year, it seems like the "pack" mentality has really taken over. I often see riders 2+ deep and you cannot pass. It is not always just a few minutes before you can get by if you are a careful driver. I will not pass if it is not in a passing zone because that then put me in danger. I have decided that the next time I have this issue, I will report it to law enforcement that cyclist are cause a dangerous situation and name the location. I also feel that if you are going to but your bicycle on the road, you should have to put a license tag on your bike - I cannot drive my car on the road without one. That way, if you are not following the rules of the road, I can report you just as you could report me.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:17 PM

45 posts, read 95,860 times
I agree with the OP -- Newlight Road just isn't safe for all these bicyling events. I've been using this route for my daily commute for 17 years now and I can tell you the traffic volume has increased 20 fold. The speed limit is 45 now (used to be 55 all the way to Franklinton) but there are still tons of curves, hills and driveways. It's downright scary to see someone passing a pack of bicycles on a blind curve. And quite honestly I don't know how this road ever got labeled as a bike route. I'm sure it is a challenging route for those that ride, but I'm surprised no one has been hurt yet. Regarding the "follow the laws of the road" topics; I see them run the stop sign at Old Weaver Trail onto Newlight all the time.

It's definitely causing frustration too. Just last week I passed two bicyclists going the opposite direction and the person in a small white car that was waiting to pass them laid on the horn as he or she flew by. One of the riders was kind enough to give them the one finger solute in response.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:32 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
I would be happy if road bikers just refrained during rush hour.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:33 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,830,309 times
I vastly prefer riding on four lane roads over the curvy, hilly rural 2-lane roads that are signed as "bike routes". If cars want to pass me, they can just get into the left lane. Easy. As a cyclist who gladly "shares the road" with cars, I do not enjoy causing delays to motorists, especially since you never know when that motorist might be a worthless arrogant hothead who thinks he would be doing the world a favor by running me off the road. Mostly, 4 lane roads have good visibility, and drivers see me well in advance and can go ahead and get into the left lane well before they get behind me.

I generally don't ride on congested roads at rush hour, four-lane or otherwise, unless I absolutely can't avoid it.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:39 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,719,746 times
as a cyclist one reason cyclists have to fan out is the condition of the road. We come upon these pot holes and have no choice but to try and avoid . . .

Old 06-25-2011, 07:46 PM

6 posts, read 16,624 times
I'm new to the area and am wondering if there any bike parks in Wake County that are worth visiting? Any help is appreciated! Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary