Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:25 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtheone81 View Post
OP is doing the right thing by researching. This board is a great resource for people looking to move. If we didn't agree, we wouldn't be wasting our time on this board.

The most common response I receive when I describe where I live is "where? Oh man, I haven't been back there in like 20 years." Most people haven't personally been through many neighborhoods or heck, anywhere 27610 in a long time. Sure, you can have an opinion, but uninformed opinions perpetuate bad information.

My opinions are in response to the overwhelmingly uninformed opinions about the 27610 zip code.
Well, I've been recently.

I wouldn't buy there because I don't like living over that way. I work in RTP. So does the husband. Where we live now is more convenient for us.

I had enough bad experiences living over that way not to want to buy there now.

Even if it became the hottest area in town. But, that's just me.

Again? Had the OP made a different sort of request, I'd have given a different answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 07:32 PM

Full disclosure. I live in 27513. There are neighborhoods here where I wouldn't care to buy a house. I don't defend the cookie cutter comments about Cary. Eh. People think whatever they wanna think.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:49 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imtheone81 View Post
OP is doing the right thing by researching. This board is a great resource for people looking to move. If we didn't agree, we wouldn't be wasting our time on this board.

The most common response I receive when I describe where I live is "where? Oh man, I haven't been back there in like 20 years." Most people haven't personally been through many neighborhoods or heck, anywhere 27610 in a long time. Sure, you can have an opinion, but uninformed opinions perpetuate bad information.

My opinions are in response to the overwhelmingly uninformed opinions about the 27610 zip code. It's a nice to live, don't write it off.
EXACTLY! Saying you wouldn't live in that zip code means nothing. That is a large zip code. Unless you have been in that area RECENTLY, those comments are without merit. Giving an INFORMED opinion is fine. Giving an opinion just so you can make a comment isn't helpful to any of us.

Vicki

Old 06-20-2011, 07:53 PM

205 posts, read 487,774 times
I had a prejudice against the 27610 zip code. I admit it. I had it partly from personal observation and partly from reading this board. So, as I was searching for my dream home, I deliberately omitted the 27610 zip code. Months went by. One day, I guess I was bored, I decided to include the 27610 zip code in my search for our dream home. I found the most incredible property! I couldn't believe my eyes. I did a google map search, zoomed in, zoomed out.... yeah, it was the 27610 zip code, but it was NICE! It was surrounded by other very lovely, well-maintained homes and subdivisions.... I had read that wasn't possible in this zip code. Well, on a long shot, we took a drive past the property. It was even more beautiful than we could have hoped, and the entire area was lovely.

Long story short, we're now the proud owners of a beautiful home in the 27610 zip code, and I'm here to tell you that it's simply wonderful. My home is all I could have hoped for, and it's 2.5 x the home I could have afforded in Cary.

To all who are debating -- give the 27610 area a chance. You might miss out on your dream property if you don't.

(disclaimer: I am an extremely picky, borderline snob. My expectations are HIGH. Just so you know.)

Old 06-20-2011, 08:00 PM

I'm glad you found a great house, Crawfish.

I'm amending my original statement.

I wouldn't buy in 27610 because I don't care for the commute.

If I was retired, I'd buy a house over by Crawfish.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:22 PM

100 posts, read 289,524 times
I live in a neighborhood in the 27610 zip code that you might like. You can DM me if you like for more information. The houses are nice and the location is less than 10 minutes from downtown Raleigh.

We also were looking for new construction in the Raleigh city limits in a similar price range to yours when we bought back in 2007. We have found the HOA to be helpful in establishing rules like the cars parked on the front lawn, etc. Also, it helps to meet the neighbors so you can approach each other easily about concerns. I have found that most people in my neighborhood want the quiet lifestyle you describe and they are interested in keeping the area safe. We occasionally have kids walking around unsupervised or something but there are some real pluses too....Like living in a nice house that we can really afford and live within our means. To me, the 27610 area code feels like an area in transition right now. There is a lot of new construction there. From what I understand it is b/c it is one area of Raleigh that is not as built out as other areas. So, I agree with the other posters that suggested you look at individual neighborhoods rather than the entire zip code.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:40 PM

205 posts, read 487,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I'm glad you found a great house, Crawfish.

I'm amending my original statement.

I wouldn't buy in 27610 because I don't care for the commute.

If I was retired, I'd buy a house over by Crawfish.
"Won't you be my neighbor??" I'd love that!

Old 06-22-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfishGumbo View Post
"Won't you be my neighbor??" I'd love that!
Do you think we could find snazzy cardigans to change into after we come home, and maybe a big stoplight for the kitchen?

Old 06-23-2011, 08:21 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
I just moved from 27610 to Knightdale...another area folks NOT in the know love to comment about in not so positive way. I lived in a neighborhood in between the beltline (440) and 540. I work in Durham and once worked downtown Raleigh. My commute was 5-10 mins longer than my friend who lived in Apex. And, 10 mins longer than my N Raleigh friends. However, my home cost significantly less ( I understand supply/demand, location, location, etc; however, for someone who likes to live for less, it was perfect for me. The pluses for me...less traffic, less crime - YES!! And, close to everything every other area has in strip malls. In addition I was close enough to North Hills, and downtown to catch a show or movie. in recent years I saw more folks move in from out of state. They loved it there and were thrilled at how much house they could get for the money. The schools in the area have low scores...however, some in more highly regarded areas have similar scores. My daughter attended elementary school and was did extremely well and had some awesome teachers. I found more of a sense of community there than the school she now attends out of the area which is more highly rated.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,447 times
Aww. I live in the 27610 zip code. More than likely the area that most are referring to when the say "NO DON'T DO IT!" I'm a single mother that relocated from Washington, DC on a very tight budget. I've been here for 2 years now and am still pleased with my neighborhood.

I live on a bus line (which is a must for me), we can walk or bike downtown for all events and enjoy the diverse community. We all have our own personal comfort levels and I think that one should investigate before buying ANYWHERE. However I've never considered if I am a majority or minority, so with that being said maybe you should not shop by zip codes at all you should use a data source that has those types of stats. Hope you have found something by now as I am reading this a little late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary