Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 10:51 AM

12 posts, read 25,496 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate to Raleigh area. I am married with no children and we are both educated professionals. Although our income would allow us to purchase a house well over 200,000 that is the price we are looking for or less. We travel a lot and do not want large house payments. After driving around yesterday in the 27610 area we were happy to see beautiful homes we would love to buy. However we did see some things we are not looking for in a neighborhood. I dont mind living in an ethically diverse neighborhood, as I do right now. However, I would prefer not to be a minority in the neighborhood. (I am caucasion). Besides that I am just looking for a place where people keep up their lawns and homes... I dont care if their skin is pink. I am looking for a neighborhood where people do not park cars on their lawn, play loud music and prefer to live a quiet life style. Also a place where young people do not roam the streets at night. I also am looking for new or no more then 10 year old construction. I am also not interested in living outside the city of Raleigh limits.... am I asking too much???? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 01:28 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,239,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy Markee View Post
Although our income would allow us to purchase a house well over 200,000 that is the price we are looking for or less. I also am looking for new or no more then 10 year old construction. I am also not interested in living outside the city of Raleigh limits.... am I asking too much???? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Yes

Old 06-18-2011, 01:34 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
What size house?

Why do you need it to be new? That's probably going to limit you some if you want a less expensive home in the type of neighborhood you're describing.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:43 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
For example: I did a search w/in 5 miles of my house. I live in Cary, btw.

7 houses that meet your criteria. None looked very exciting. If I changed the search to "any year" I get over a hundred.

Many in the type of neighborhood you are describing.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:10 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Some of 27610 isn't as desirable as other areas so it is difficult to search by zip code. If you drive around and see lawns not mowed and homes not power washed, you may want to dig deeper...check school scores and crime reports. All that impacts re sale.

Where will you be working? You will find some really nice homes closer to Holly Springs. Too far? What about Wake Forest? Townhouse? Single family detached home?

Vicki

Old 06-18-2011, 06:51 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
I'm not sure why you are you dead-set on living "within the city limits" and in Raleigh, particularly. Do you have a job lined up in Raleigh? Otherwise (if you work from home, etc), why not somewhere less expensive, such as Durham, or somewhere more suburban like Cary, Apex, etc? WHY aren't you interested in living outside the city limits, since housing prices are cheaper away from town?

It's true that you can't use zip codes as much of an indicator, but it's also true that 27610 has a lot of Raleigh worst neighborhoods (the "better" neighborhoods in that zip code are the newest, urban-renewal ones). Ignore the zip code of areas you're looking at and look into other municipalities, unless there's a specific reason you MUST be within the Raleigh city limits?

Old 06-20-2011, 08:35 AM

207 posts, read 433,450 times
I work in and have relatives that live in 27610 and I personally would NOT purchase in this area.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:06 AM

278 posts, read 467,777 times
I would also suggest "other".

That said, it is most helpful to drive by a property you are interested in and see for yourself. If it looks fine by day, then drive by at night. See how the neighborhood makes you feel before renting or purchasing a home.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:42 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,240,257 times
What about Clayton? It's probably an additional 5-10 minutes from the zip code you mentioned. They have affordable housing options there and great schools as well.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:57 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,676,402 times
i wouldnt buy in the vast majority of the -610 zip code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary