Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 11:09 AM

233 posts, read 269,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I think the days of working your way up in a mid to large corporate environment are over. At least in the American dream sense of start in the mailroom and work your way up the corporate ladder. If you start in admin, you will be cast as an admin, and in some companies be on a completely different compensation system which would make the job change to a professional position ever more difficult. By all means, start as an admin at a location, but be prepared to need to jump for additional opportunities.

Most of big pharma would hire their sales reps from a pool of either - pharma sales reps at other companies looking to make a change, candidates with previous sales experience (not necessarily pharma) or fresh out of college outgoing attractive people. It would take a very special individual to go from an admin to a sales reps in big pharma.
I can back this up to some degree. I am in Pharma/Biotech and started as an admin in one of the big compaines in the Triangle. I then changed career in the same company, moving to the clinical research side. Started as a CTA at a big pay cut from executive admin, had to go to school while doing it and now am a CRA. I make far less than my counterparts in the same company and I have to travel a ton. I feel it will pay off down the road, but it is a long hard road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 07:59 PM

564 posts, read 873,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jld13072 View Post
I know the Raleigh area is known as a big Pharma/Biotech area. Need help with getting a listing of all the companies in the area, as well as the smaller ones.

Trying to break into the field (Pharma Sales), have no sales exp. but many attributes and experience that could help. Willing to start at the bottom up (administrative).

Thanks!
I hate to be a wet blanket, but it will be very tough to get into the pharma industry at this time. There has been considerable downsizing over the last few years and openings are not that plentiful. When openings do come up, they are swamped with candidates that all have pharma experience and are willing to take a step back just to get a job. Employers have their pick of very qualified candidates.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:28 AM

17 posts, read 66,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janster100 View Post
I hate to be a wet blanket, but it will be very tough to get into the pharma industry at this time. There has been considerable downsizing over the last few years and openings are not that plentiful. When openings do come up, they are swamped with candidates that all have pharma experience and are willing to take a step back just to get a job. Employers have their pick of very qualified candidates.
He said it. I have a friend who is a sales manager down in Texas. He recently moved to a smaller start up pharma company that was hiring a sales force from the ground up. They had over 2000 resumes submitted for fifty some odd spots. With the promotional restrictions that are in place today, most managers won't even consider a candidate without existing sales experience and pre-existing relationships with customers in that same geography. Not trying to discourage you, just trying to give you a sense of what the reality is like in pharma these days.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:32 PM

455 posts, read 1,118,392 times
Everyone has made good points. With the weak economy and poor product pipelines from major pharma, their medical sales force has being on the chopping-block.

Used to be a joke we could tell which reps are from what company, based on their intelligence or bust size, but that has changed, due to more regulation and oversight in those positions, stemming from shady sales practices form pharma (paying off/illegally reimbursing doctors to push drugs, off-label uses, etc)...but I digress.

I am surprised to hear that several others brought up the role of clinical research associates (CRA)...which is a very good option. Whether in pharma or CRO, the position is in need to conduct clinical trials. CRO's actually have weathered the storm better than pharma. RTP has two of the largest CROs in the world, plus many more smaller/niche companies around, so opportunities are plentiful around here.

Those interested in this field will have to do similar traveling as sales reps, but there is no commission. I believe CRAs make between $40k- $85k/year, depending on experience and training. IMO, this is one of the few professional fields left that doesn't have an apparent glass ceiling when it comes to education, as experience matters more (currently). of course, having a scientific or clinical background helps you get the job!

Old 07-25-2011, 05:15 PM

121 posts, read 353,643 times
Thanks for the chuckle..Oh how I remember enjoying some great lunches, expensive dinners and fun happy hour outings at the expense of the Reps back in the day. I believe I still have a few pens and umbrellas with "Estrostep" written on it

Thanks for all the input everyone! as I will take your advice and look into something else that would better suit me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post
Everyone has made good points. With the weak economy and poor product pipelines from major pharma, their medical sales force has being on the chopping-block.

Used to be a joke we could tell which reps are from what company, based on their intelligence or bust size, but that has changed, due to more regulation and oversight in those positions, stemming from shady sales practices form pharma (paying off/illegally reimbursing doctors to push drugs, off-label uses, etc)...but I digress.

I am surprised to hear that several others brought up the role of clinical research associates (CRA)...which is a very good option. Whether in pharma or CRO, the position is in need to conduct clinical trials. CRO's actually have weathered the storm better than pharma. RTP has two of the largest CROs in the world, plus many more smaller/niche companies around, so opportunities are plentiful around here.

Those interested in this field will have to do similar traveling as sales reps, but there is no commission. I believe CRAs make between $40k- $85k/year, depending on experience and training. IMO, this is one of the few professional fields left that doesn't have an apparent glass ceiling when it comes to education, as experience matters more (currently). of course, having a scientific or clinical background helps you get the job!

Old 07-26-2011, 10:23 AM

12 posts, read 18,841 times
I worked for a pharma company previously and believe there are, as stated earlier, companies that hire less (no) experienced sales force. You should not even limit it to companies based in the RTP area unless your intention is to work in their corporate office. The nature of the position is to be in the field. The company I worked for was based in the Cincinnati area but had reps all over the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary