Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 06:43 PM

3 posts, read 6,401 times

Advertisements

So, we are relocating to the triangle area from New England in 2 months and still trying to find a place to live. I will be telecommuting to a job in Durham (going in to the office a couple of times a month) and my husband will likely be getting a job in Chatham County but he will have to commute to work everyday. This will make the Northern reaches of the triangle unfeasible in terms of distance but we determine that Pittsboro seems to be right in the middle. So I'm trying to get an idea of what this city is all about. My impression so far is that it's quite rural, uneducated, and somewhat poor (median income in the low 30s), particularly in comparison to Chapel Hill/Cary/Apex. We are not looking to buy right now but in looking around I've seen really high prices on houses there and in fact this website indicates that the median house prices are significantly above state average, around the same as Apex (). It does not seem in line with the other specs I've seen on the place. So what's the draw for Pittsboro? Am I missing something? Also, any other insight any of you could offer would be great. If it helps to know: we are a 30 year-old couple with a 1 year girl and a little dog. I have a PhD in Medical Science and my husband has a Masters in Rehab counseling. We are really simple, no-frills people and just want a safe, family-friendly place to live (and one that isn't too religious, ideally). Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 07:16 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
Fearrington is the reason I believe.

Fearrington Village | North Carolina Homes for Sale, Fine Dining, Bed & Breakfast, Southern Weddings and Meeting Retreats in the Chapel Hill, Durham, Raleigh, NC area.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:44 PM

103 posts, read 279,477 times
Sounds to me like you would enjoy the Apex/West Cary area. Many young families, great high schools and lots of New England transplants.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:34 AM

82 posts, read 148,407 times
Chatham county is a little skewed when it comes to home prices because of Governor's Club and other wealthy developments in the NE quadrant. Much of Chatham is rural and fairly low-income, but if you have a number of multi-million dollar houses on the border of Orange/Durham it makes average home prices look high.
As for Pittsboro, I certainly don't find it 'quite rural, uneducated, and somewhat poor.' Yes, Chatham county in general fits that description (I guess, although it's hard for me to label my neighbors that way), but in our tiny town and its environs we have too many cultural activities to list, highly traditionally educated as well as self-taught people, and as for poor - of course there are poor people. There are also rich people. There are also middle of the road people. People here run the gamut of religiosity, too - Christian to Buddhist to Pagan to Jewish to atheist, I find Pittsboro a very tolerant place, in general. Maybe a bit too tolerant for someone who doesn't want to live amongst poor, uneducated, and not very religious folk?
Sorry for the snark, but IMHO you should probably visit a place before judging it based on real estate statistics.
Adrienne

Old 08-17-2011, 12:34 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne88 View Post
Sorry for the snark, but IMHO you should probably visit a place before judging it based on real estate statistics.
+1

Old 08-17-2011, 01:43 PM

72 posts, read 158,365 times
Adrienne is right, you should come for a visit if you haven't already been here. I will give you some information about the area you can't find in stats. Not everyone in this area goes to church and if you don't no one will think you are a devil worshiper. The prices of homes are all over the place right now. Apex isn't where the most expensive homes are. I'm not aware of any "dangerous" places to live around here. I honestly can't tell the difference between people who are "rich" and people who are "poor". I've heard rich people with college educations say "I reckon" and I've heard poor people with no education speak very well. The main thing to know is that if you are nice people around you will be nice. If you see your neighbor coming or going wave hello, if you see someone that needs a hand give them a hand. If someone smiles at you smile back. If someone visits with you in the line at the supermarket it just means that they wanted to, not that they have a hidden agenda. With that I say, Reckon ya otta come on down south ya yankee and pour yerself a glass of sweet tea, keep yer rifle by yer side when yer rockin on the porch case there's a gator yonder. Just kidding!!! no gators.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:27 PM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,343,942 times
In defense of the original poster, I think she meant "poor" just as low-income, as that is what it is. Sometimes scientists have a way of putting things in a very matter-of-fact way (I know, I am one) and it might come off as a bit blunt, but really what she was asking about what the discrepancy between the statistics in terms of home prices and income (again, she is a scientist, can you blame her for looking at data) and people replied saying there were some significant outliers (or maybe even a bimodal distribution). I do think it's reading too much into the question to think she is insulting Pittsboro or poor people.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:07 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,170 times
I moved to Pittsboro from Massachusetts 4 years ago to get away from Massachusetts type people. I enjoy it here.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:10 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,220 times
Pittsboro is relatively expensive because it is within commuting distance of Chapel Hill.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 4,190 times
Pittsboro has a little bit of everything - even a nearby winery, and a library in the middle of town that has great book sales. Compared to the prices in Chapel Hill, it's really affordable and yet you can be in Chapel Hill in about 15 minutes and Apex (which is also a lot more costly although not as much as Chapel Hill) in about 20 minutes. I'm still not sure yet what the sign on the highway is referring to, though, that mentions its "unique shops." Anybody know what that refers to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary