Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 07:25 AM

144 posts, read 468,838 times

Advertisements

We rented a beach house in Kitty Hawk for this weekend and now it seems that Irene is on her way to hit coastal NC.

Do you guys think it is safe to go? If it is still too early to tell, can we tell tomorrow or the day after?

I hate to lose almost $800 we already paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 07:31 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Sorry....we were practically out the door for Halifax Nova Scotia but the wife doesn't want to leave the dog alone in the kennel with the hurricane approaching. Fortunately we fly free so no cost there to cancel, I was lucky...

If I lived on the outer banks I probably wouldn't be going anywhere but I don't think I would intentionally drive into a Cat III hurricane. I've been through a bunch when down in FL and they're not as big a deal as people make them out to be IMO, but you don't really do much except sit inside your house and watch the rain.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:34 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
I would reschedule. Hopefully you can get a full refund. Even if the course changes the weather this weekend at the coast will not allow you to enjoy the beach.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:35 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspotzsz View Post
We rented a beach house in Kitty Hawk for this weekend and now it seems that Irene is on her way to hit coastal NC.

Do you guys think it is safe to go? If it is still too early to tell, can we tell tomorrow or the day after?

I hate to lose almost $800 we already paid.
Ouch. Sorry to hear it. Did you pay for the rental vacation insurance policy? It is a good hedge this time of year.

You might have a hard time getting into the house, or even onto the island if an evacuation is ordered.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:36 AM

932 posts, read 3,097,981 times
I would guess that it's still too early. It could hit here, the coast, or head further east. You would hate to get there and have to be evacuated or worse. I wouldn't want to be away from my home in case something happened.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:42 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,324 times
Well, that's why travel insurance is a good idea during hurricane season. You might get lucky and get some credit towards a future stay, but there's no requirement for the rental agency to do this.

As far as going anyway, this will be a major storm that is definitely coming ashore this weekend, so no, it is not safe to go until it passes.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:46 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Travel insurance can be quite limited in what it pays for. A mandatory evacuation or destroyed facility? Probably. Sucky weather for a few days brought on by a nearby hurricane? Probably not.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:07 AM

39 posts, read 159,288 times
I would reschedule if possible.

Never know what mother nature is going to do or what she is capable at any given moment or place.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:09 AM

892 posts, read 3,161,897 times
Perhaps wait another day to decide but I would plan on NOT driving into the storm.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:14 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
If you don't have travel insurance, you probably won't get any money back. Presuming you were going weekend-to-weekend, you should prbaboy be able to get at least some part of the week in, unless Irene makes a dead hit on Kitty Hawk (which it may well).

I would DEFINITELY not leave on Saturday; by Sunday the storm will have passed through and you should be able to contact the realty company as to how bac KH got hit. Even if the house is OK, there may be no power, and there could be flooding. But maybe by Monday or Tuesday, you will be able to make it and get most of your week in. Just bear in mind that the realty company will be getting similar phone calls from every other renter that week, so you won't get "personalized attention". I'd be looking right now for websites about Kitty Hawk, such as the town hall, and bookmarking them, with plans to stay glued to them starting Sunday. Do NOT try to get down there before the storm, unless the storm path moves WAY off coast altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary