Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 06:15 AM

843 posts, read 2,100,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
With all due respect, your "feelings" are irrelevant to facts. You're also accusing a police officer of lying.

If there won't be any friction then why haven't you found out why the person is complaining? Perhaps the kids are too loud, perhaps they play until late at night. Find out the issue and try to negotiate with the complainer. You are digging your heels in and not making an effort to resolve anything. Additionally, your attitude towards the police officer was appalling.

If children are raised properly they won't do that if they can't play basketball. If your children are associating with neighborhood kids that will "tear peoples sh*t up" then you should put a stop to it.

And yes, I played in front of houses with other neighborhood kids when I was young. We respected our neighbors and if they had an issue they would discuss it with the parents. For example, several neighbors worked at the nuclear plant so we played well away from their houses when they were on night shift.
You win the award for most judgemental post of the year! Congrats!

Old 08-25-2011, 06:36 AM

75 posts, read 195,869 times
"You win the award for most judgemental post of the year! Congrats!"

Does your comment make you the runner up to the award? Cause, if you take a second to think about it, you're now judging this person.

This is another post from a parent thinking that their neighbors have to love and enjoy his/her kid(s) as much as he/she does. Not everyone loves to hear rowdy kids playing basketball or whatever in the street. And guess what? They have a right not to. As I said in a previous post similar to this one, why can't they play in your back yard? On your property. Away from a common use area (street)? Don't have a paved area? Put one in if you want your kids to play basketball.

As a parent, it's your responsibility to provide whatever entertainment your kids need. If you do that, you won't have to worry about neighbors calling the police. I also find it interesting that some people want others to make concessions for their children, but they aren't willing to make concessions to consider what other people want.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:06 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times
OK, so what would be the difference in noise level if the OP had a flat driveway and the hoop was located there? What if he had kids in his backyard jumping on a trampoline whooping it up?
The bottom line is the people who complain about the kids playing in front of their house need to exercise their discontent by moving to an area where they won't be bothered by those "entitled" kids. I mean, how dare they act like, well, kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrep View Post
"You win the award for most judgemental post of the year! Congrats!"

Does your comment make you the runner up to the award? Cause, if you take a second to think about it, you're now judging this person.

This is another post from a parent thinking that their neighbors have to love and enjoy his/her kid(s) as much as he/she does. Not everyone loves to hear rowdy kids playing basketball or whatever in the street. And guess what? They have a right not to. As I said in a previous post similar to this one, why can't they play in your back yard? On your property. Away from a common use area (street)? Don't have a paved area? Put one in if you want your kids to play basketball.

As a parent, it's your responsibility to provide whatever entertainment your kids need. If you do that, you won't have to worry about neighbors calling the police. I also find it interesting that some people want others to make concessions for their children, but they aren't willing to make concessions to consider what other people want.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:11 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,217 times
I think we should buy the kids something quieter to play with, like those big lawn darts.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:42 AM

75 posts, read 195,869 times
"The bottom line is the people who complain about the kids playing in front of their house need to exercise their discontent by moving to an area where they won't be bothered by those "entitled" kids. I mean, how dare they act like, well, kids."

I reiterate: I also find it interesting that some people want others to make concessions for their children, but they aren't willing to make concessions to consider what other people want.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:52 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,771,581 times
Bottom line : It's either legal or illegal to play basketball in the street. Seems it's illegal so case closed. The city and county spend lots of money on public areas for kids to play. Utilize them ! The law or ordinance is there for a reason. Parents are immune to their kids noise just like many dog owners are immune to their dogs barking. Nothing wrong with either in its proper place. Instead of telling your neighbor(s) to move to a kid free area maybe you should have moved to a place that had better access to a public basketball court.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:10 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,686 times
Thank you badrep and pitroad for bringing some sanity to this discussion. Now, on with the show:

@deetae:
Quote:
You say I should have a conversation with the neighbor calling the cops to discuss the Issue...that is kind of hard to do when I don't know who is calling the cops.
Then make an effort to find out. Talk to your neighbors, invite them over, have a BBQ, etc. Ask what can be done to solve the issue.

Quote:
You say that my kids play to late hours of the night...thats a negative too...The latest they play may be 7:30 and thats on a weekend...
I didn't say they did so, just suggested if they did then that might be the reason for the complaint. But they don't so it doesn't matter.

Quote:
You say I'm appalling to the cops. Well everybody has their opinion. I told him the truth, I wasn't getting smart with him.
You don't have to "be smart with him" to be disrespectful. You also accused him of lying.

Quote:
You totally didn't see what I wrote, I didn't say the Kids were tearing up peoples Sh*t...I said why even give them an opportunity....Kids at young ages do stupid stuff period...No matter how they are raised..
Actually, if raised well their risk of "doing stupid stuff" is quite low.

Quote:
All Im sayin is this is the stupidest rule/law/ordinance I've ever heard in my life.
Then work with your elected officials to change it. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't apply to you.

@ncmickey:

Quote:
You win the award for most judgemental post of the year! Congrats!
I didn't think making a suggestion about how to handle the situation was judgemental but ok. Where is my cookie?

Old 08-25-2011, 03:44 PM

843 posts, read 2,100,988 times
Maybe arogant would have been a better word....

Glad I didnt grow up in a few of your neighborhoods...

Old 08-25-2011, 04:19 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,686 times
Quote:
Maybe arogant would have been a better word....

Glad I didnt grow up in a few of your neighborhoods...
You mean a neighborhood where everyone knew each other and were respectful? Where people tried to resolve differences amicably?

Old 08-25-2011, 05:57 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times
Wow, let me get this straight, the OP is supposed to seek out the complainer to see if he can get the kids to play in a manner that is acceptable by him.
OK, let me know how this turns out.

I don't know what neighborhoods some of the posters grew up in, but most of the time when something like this happened, it never turned out well. As a matter of fact, it was the complainer who was the one who was looked at as the trouble maker by the rest of the neighborhood.

If the kids are not being loud and are not in the way of traffic, then there should not be a problem, unless a miserable, unhappy neighbor decides to make it a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary