Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 05:12 AM

662 posts, read 1,644,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Again, where does it stop? Nobody is forcing them to do that job. If you desire more money do what I did by getting an education and a higher-paying job.
I don't need to "give back" to anyone since nothing was ever given to me.
Wow. What ignorant things to say. Well, what goes around comes around!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 06:41 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,028,711 times
I hate tipping. Now that doesn't mean I don't do it, I'd just prefer live in a place where people didn't earn money off of tips so I could just pay flat rates (even if that made them higher because there would be no server type salaries). I tip the standard amount at restaurants of course, but I will go get my own pizza rather than have a delivery person bring it just so I don't have to tip. But I'd never not tip if I did have them deliver since it's 'free' and I understand that people NEED a job and maybe that gas guzzling one was the only one they could find. I didn't tip for my last mattress delivery, but I also paid a $40 delivery fee, so I figured that was what it was for. I tip my petsitter because you can't put a price on good care for your pet (or child, I'd imagine, if I had one). I quit going to Autobell because it stopped being a decent deal with my coupons when the tip was bringing me back up to the regular price. So yeah, I'm cheap admittedly, but I just don't go certain places rather than go and be rude by not tipping.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:02 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
I think the OP should generously tip the pizza guy if he delivers a mattress....

Not to mention tipping the mattress guy if he brings along a pizza.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:46 AM

804 posts, read 2,004,495 times
i've always wondered if we tip waitstaff in restaurants because it's known that they make the majority of their pay off of tips & if so, then why tip a pizza delivery guy making $14/hour? (for the record, i do tip the pizza delivery guy 20% just like i tip waitstaff in a restaurant.)

as for $tarbuck$, i rarely tip there unless i get a complicated drink order &/or get a large number of drinks at one time. (i jest about the $$$ of starbucks, too ... i'm obviously choosing to go there!) i don't understand the expectation that a coffee barista has for me to tip them a couple of bucks for making a drink to order (again, unless it's a supercomplicated order). i have been known to tip them if they have really gone above & beyond in serving me but it's not a typical tip.

another that i'm not certain about -- housekeeping at a hotel. what's the acceptable rate? why do we tip on that for a job they are paid to do? (again, not trying to stir the pot -- a genuine question here.)

in considering the areas where i question tipping, i think it's because i am willing to tip for individualized service (waitstaff at a restaurant attending to specific needs like drinks, extra napkins, & sauces; hair salon where they are tailoring a cut to me; bellhop taking in my large & unruly fleet of luggage; housekeeping who do an exceptional job at a hotel; guy at auto bell who details my car) but perhaps i'm less likely to tip for something that i perceive as part of one's job (barista making a typical uncomplicated drink; US postal service worker delivering my average-size daily mail delivery).

is it a regional thing? i wonder how it's affected with the influx of northeasterners who seem to tip far more often on things that may not be tipped on much here.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:51 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I think the OP should generously tip the pizza guy if he delivers a mattress....

Not to mention tipping the mattress guy if he brings along a pizza.
Best post of the day. Worthy of a tip no less, or at least a pint of beer!

Old 08-03-2011, 08:03 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,601 times
It's the tip jars are Subway, Starbucks, places like that, that really confuse me. Seriously? I've even seen tip jars at registers in places that hardly anyone would consider tipping for. I have no problem tipping when its customary and a job has been well done. I've tipped for furniture delivery. I always tip for pizza delivery, etc. Even when it took over 2 hours, and the pizza place didn't charge me, of course I tipped the driver. I bet many of you give money to the professional panhandlers on the exit ramps too? I saw a woman give one a $20 the other day. I almost parked and got out to stand next to him with my hands out.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:03 AM

519 posts, read 982,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Best post of the day. Worthy of a tip no less, or at least a pint of beer!
Are you expecting a tip if you bring Mike a beer? I jest.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:15 AM

466 posts, read 815,837 times
I think a lot of places shoot themselves in the foot when they charge a delivery fee. It does make me less inclined to tip. When I travel for business, I've stayed in hotels that charge both a delivery fee AND a service charge for room service. Call me cheap, but I refuse to add another gratuity on top of that. We haven't tipped for mattress or furniture delivery, either. And I assume that they won't damage my walls or floor anyway, so I don't quite understand tipping because people didn't mess up your home. We've also started picking up our pizza as well because delivery charges and tip can quickly add up to just about what you pay for one pizza.

And don't get me started on coffee places and other counter-service eateries. I waited tables in college and busted my butt for tips. You don't get a dollar because you filled a cup with plain coffee.

When we've had people over doing stuff in the house, we offer them water and of course they can use the restroom, but no one has been around long enough to get a snack.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:19 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
It's the tip jars are Subway, Starbucks, places like that, that really confuse me. Seriously? I've even seen tip jars at registers in places that hardly anyone would consider tipping for. I have no problem tipping when its customary and a job has been well done. I've tipped for furniture delivery. I always tip for pizza delivery, etc. Even when it took over 2 hours, and the pizza place didn't charge me, of course I tipped the driver. I bet many of you give money to the professional panhandlers on the exit ramps too? I saw a woman give one a $20 the other day. I almost parked and got out to stand next to him with my hands out.
Daughter works at Brueggers and there is a tip jar beside the register. She gets good tips.

At places like Brueggers and Jersey Mike's, I just drop my leftover change into the jar. If my food is $4.50, I toss the 50 cents change into the jar.

To the poster that said he wished people would get paid better wages and therefore there would be no tipping...that is how it is done in Australia. However, the service is HORRIBLE! Waiters/Waitresses get paid about $15 per hour. They take your order, bring your food but seldom come back to the table to ask how your food is. Most are very nice but there IS a difference. Lots of things are different...a can of Coke is $6.50!!! I prefer to tip based on service but I tip well...if the service is good!

Vicki

Old 08-03-2011, 08:31 AM

519 posts, read 982,217 times
I have always said that it would be good if everyone, at some point in their lives, worked in the service industry, where part of their income was determined by tips, only to understand the nuances that go into that position.

Part of the issue to me when working in a field where everyone is solely paid in the form of a salary is that two people in the same position will get paid the same wage, even if one works his tail off while the other one cuts corners and is completely unprofessional. Sure, the latter may lose his job faster, but there is still a point where both people are getting paid at the same rate.

At least in the service industry, the amount you bring home is usually directly influenced by how well of a job that you do. Of course, the caveat to that are the shmucks who don't tip simply because they don't feel like it.

With the technology we have now, I would be interested to witness the regular shift that a pizza delivery person goes through while having a small videocamera strapped to his hat. That may change some people's perspectives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary