Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which dentist would you pick for you AND your children?
Drs Ghodke Lindsey & Assoc 1 4.35%
Michael T Jones DMD 0 0%
Shailesh C Patel DDS 4 17.39%
Speilios ans Associates 4 17.39%
University Dental Assocaites, 200 Keisler Dr. Cary 2 8.70%
University Dental Associates 1010 High House 0 0%
None of the above! They are all awful! 12 52.17%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 10:13 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,081 times

Advertisements

Drs Ghodke Lindsey & Assoc - Dental Works.

Don't go there! I've been here a year and haven't been to the dentist because none of the ones in our list haven't gotten a good reccomendation. I tried the one above and cancelled my follow up appointments. Moderator cut: unsubstantiated allegations

I didn't realize that for the good dentists you have to pay & then get reimbursed. I will have to talk to my dh about this 'cuz we need to go to dentist!

Last edited by autumngal; 01-16-2008 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: use dm for specifics please

Old 01-15-2008, 10:13 PM

7 posts, read 28,291 times
Wow, I should have searched this forum before I went to Spelios and associates. I agree with others here, stay away from them. Not only are their procedures overprice...getting a price adjustment is like pulling teeth (pun intended).

Moderator cut: unsubstantiated allegations

Last edited by autumngal; 01-16-2008 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: unsubstantiated allegations

Old 01-16-2008, 07:38 AM

131 posts, read 725,824 times
I used to have Cigna and I used Dr. Gerard Magno at Wakefield Dental Care. I can't say enough good things about him. His office was state of the art, his people professional, and he really knew his stuff. I'm very picky about my dentist and he was A+ in my book. The only reason I changed is because I switched healthcare plans.

By the way, I also tried Dr. Eric Davis in Durham. I have to give his staff a B- and his office a C for professionalism. Wasn't impressed and didn't go back after the first visit.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:21 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

We also have Cigna. We went to a dentist in Holly Springs, who charged $69 for "dental instructions"! Just like with you, it was "brush and floss every day", and that was about it. Cigna wouldn't pay for this charge, so we were sent a bill from the dentist's office. I wrote a letter complaining, and they did drop the charge. But when I took my kids in for their cleanings, the hygienist wouldn't say one work about proper dental care to my kids. I assume they made a note in our files not to give dental instruction. But if anyone does need instruction, it's little kids. Needless to say, we're in the process of switching dentists.

Last edited by autumngal; 01-16-2008 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: quote was orphaned

Old 01-16-2008, 12:26 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned

We also have Cigna. We went to a dentist in Holly Springs, who charged $69 for "dental instructions"! Just like with you, it was "brush and floss every day", and that was about it. Cigna wouldn't pay for this charge, so we were sent a bill from the dentist's office. I wrote a letter complaining, and they did drop the charge. But when I took my kids in for their cleanings, the hygienist wouldn't say one work about proper dental care to my kids. I assume they made a note in our files not to give dental instruction. But if anyone does need instruction, it's little kids. Needless to say, we're in the process of switching dentists.
I don't blame you one bit So glad I didn't go with the original scaled down dental plan.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 4,739 times
Exclamation Spelios & Associate - real trouble understanding what their process is

If you are transferring to Speilios mid year,
If I have a choice, I would avoid Spelios & Associates for the following reasons -- to clean your teeth they need x-rays that are full mouth ones only. No Pan will be accepted. They will gladly do it and will bill you if you had your Pan taken at your previous dentist and your insurance does not cover 2 types of xrays within 3 years.
The second reason, you will wait several months before getting an appt.
Third reason, if you are a parent and does not need to use their services, then they will not want to see your children becos they said CIGNA will not pay them for the services to your kids that they render. Really not sure why this is a decision.
I in turn called up CIGNA and they confirmed that
1. If you changed your dentist then another type of xray (meaning that if you had pan taken recently, then a full mouth or vice versa) WILL be covered by CIGNA.
2. If a parent does not need any dental services and would prefer not to see this particular dentist for anything, THEY WILL COVER your dependents who are enrolled in the plan.
The staff is okay, but appear like they dont care for new business.
The tons of dentists in the Cary area, AVOID this one by all means to save yourself some time.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:50 AM

150 posts, read 506,760 times
Hi there,

Here's my 2 cents:

I went to an Endodontist a few months ago that used to be part of Speilios and Assoc. but now works on his own in that same office (Dr. Wisnewski) whi was absolutely fabulous. That said, I was completely unimpressed with the office staff. While waiting for my first appointment/consultation one of the office staff members was actually yelling at a patient. I was a little put off by that. I was also a little surpised at the waiting area...the lower part of the walls looked dingy... They do not accept insurance, but will bill the insurance for you. I came out of the consultation and the Endodontist told the office staff member that I needed to schedule an appointment, and she billed me 1400 dollars for the procedure I was making the appointment for. I told her that I hadn't had the procedure done yet, and she said "You havent?". Ok, thats fine, no harm, no foul. I make the appointment and leave. I am used to getting a confirmation via phone for the appointment a day or so prior, so at 5 pm the day before (since I havent heard from them), I call the office. My Endodontist actually answered the phone. I asked to confirm my appointment the following day, and surprise, surprise, they have changed my appointment by 2 hours. I double check to make sure he has it right, and he says yes. I had to change a team meeting at work, but I am able to without much trouble, so ok, that's fine. I come in the next day and explain that no one mentioned that they changed my appointment, and the women basically says it happens that way sometimes. After the procedure, the same woman tries to bill me for the procedure and the original consultation (which is waived as a professional curtesy if you have the procedure done). Long story short after she bills my insurance I get a bill in the mail 2 days later for the entire amount. UGH!

I use Shailesh Patel as my dentist. He is pretty good at what he does I suppose, he is the quickest dentist I have ever gone to, but he has almost no "bedside manor", i.e he says almost nothing. I had the same dentist for most of my life, and he is one of the nicest people I have ever met. When I moved here I had to find someone new-I figure that I am just used to my old dentist, so I don't let it bother me too much, but I wouldn't be adverse to finding another dentist. His staff is very, very nice though, so overall it balances out.

Best of luck in chosing someone!

Old 08-07-2008, 10:23 AM

831 posts, read 1,964,116 times
Ohh fun, let's see if I can get a bogus cut in my post for "unsubstantiated allegations" even though I'm a patient of Ghodke's office and have been for 3.5 years...

Dr. Ghodke herself is nice, however! They are a sales driven group. I believe Dental Works is a chain, not unlike McDonalds, and every time I sit in that chair I get the rigamarole of how I reaaaallly need braces on my bottom teeth (I had braces!) and I'm such a pretty girl, don't I want to have straight teeth to complete the picture and be even more pretty? The first time I heard it I nearly fell out of my chair laughing, I thought the hygienist was joking. It's almost comical...almost. I do find it downright annoying.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:26 AM

And even though I think Cigna is based here in NC, their selections for HMO dental plans just for regular dental services are abysmal. The referral I received from Ghodke's office though was a nice oral surgeon when I needed my wisdom teeth pulled. That guy had the magic touch - I didn't feel a thing before, during or after having 4 wisdom teeth removed!

Old 08-07-2008, 10:29 AM

And as for the panoramics or any other xrays that may or may not actually be needed...Ghodke's office balks when you say no thanks, I'd rather not have my head exposed to radiation today. They get quite upset. I don't like having my entire head x-rayed every time I'm there to have my teeth cleaned! That silliness about trying to see cavities between the teeth only works so many times. Cavities don't develop in under 6 months (between visits). They take a fair amount of time and I'm sure the pain would be the first clue, not my x-rayed skull pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary