Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 02:16 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2carolina View Post
We have been looking for housing around the Duke Campus with many of your same "wishes" but a smaller price tag. Your job will be in the thick of the West campus area which is on the opposite side of town from where you've been discussing here.
There are several "luxury apartment" complexes on that side, but they are very close to the hospital so I don't know if being that close to work all the time would suit you. The Erwin Square complex is touted as loft apartments, and that also would be very close to the hospital as well as the popular 9th st. area which has a plethora of restaurants and shops
It's about 2 miles from West Village to Duke Hospital. Not sure that qualifies as the "opposite side of town".

West Village sounds like a great fit for what you are looking for. I've had friends who've lived in Erwin square, and the apartments are pretty cool but it is very grad student/undergrad heavy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 02:25 PM

843 posts, read 2,100,988 times
Try:
Trinity Commons | Durham Luxury Apartments Next to Duke Medical Center These are new and on Erwin Rd near the Hospital

Station Nine : Downtown Durham Apartments These are at the old Erwin Mills right on 9th St

Old 10-28-2011, 05:12 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,757 times
The Erwin Rd corridor is convenient but chain-y. Chipotle, TGI Fridays, Dunkin Donuts, etc. (Some more local businesses at Erwin Terrace just next door.) Trinity Commons and Lofts at Lakeview are attractive but not much in the way of character.

I'd suggest West Village, American Tobacco or Golden Belt if looking for more authentic 'flavor.' One bonus is the Bull City Connector is a free bus running every 15-20 mins. from Golden Belt through downtown (and past West Village/Am'bacco) directly to Duke South, right next to the new DMP/Cancer Center. Much closer to good, local downtown restaurants, the Whole Foods, trails/greenways, etc.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:11 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,911,764 times
I'd look at the loft condos at the old Bullington Tobacco Warehouse st 500 N. Duke St. There is frequently one for rent. 14 to 18 foot ceilings, exposed brick walls, original hardwood floors.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:44 PM

166 posts, read 304,509 times
Well, toot, my intent was to simply point out that the area being discussed is across town from work, not to suggest its a great distance, so sorry if that seemed to indicate otherwise.
I know that many folks think that the area around Brightleaf and the West Village is great, but if I were working at the hospital, I'd still focus closer to Old West Durham and Erwin Sq.; its just one person's opinion but having worked in hospitals before and having some understanding of the odd hours that can require, I'd prefer to be as close to home as possible when I got off shift!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary