Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 06:22 AM

23 posts, read 79,564 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am looking for a place to have a church function where we can roast hot dogs and eat s'mores without having to stay the night and camp. Most of the parks around seem to close at sunset so we can't do it there (umstead for example). Any ideas? I am talking like 100 people so it would need to be a large area with lots of picnic tables and firepits.

This may be impossible but I thought I would throw it out there to see what I find.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 06:42 AM

477 posts, read 1,420,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genigirl View Post
Hi all,
I am looking for a place to have a church function where we can roast hot dogs and eat s'mores without having to stay the night and camp. Most of the parks around seem to close at sunset so we can't do it there (umstead for example). Any ideas? I am talking like 100 people so it would need to be a large area with lots of picnic tables and firepits.

This may be impossible but I thought I would throw it out there to see what I find.

Thanks!
Not sure if they can accommodate such a large group, but my daughter attended an evening group bonfire/hot dog roast last fall at a place called Winterpast Farm near Falls Lake.

ABOUT | Winterpast Farm

Old 02-05-2012, 10:05 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,953,653 times
You might check the Fairgrounds facility down on Youth Center drive. It can handle large groups...plus it has huge grills and a large industrial kitchen. It books up quick and the price is 600 bucks a day I believe. We have our family reunion there every year....44th coming up this summer

Old 02-05-2012, 04:38 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,158,863 times
Having done this in my new area, the secret is that you have to get authorized to stay the night and camp and pay the appropriate fees for that. No one is going to check whether you camp or not, but parks will let you stay late if you are "camping."

Old 02-06-2012, 05:31 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,136,954 times
The problem with doing that here is that they lock the gates and you can't leave! It's usually too dark and too far to walk with your stuff if you park outside the gates.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:44 PM

53 posts, read 88,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
You might check the Fairgrounds facility down on Youth Center drive. It can handle large groups...plus it has huge grills and a large industrial kitchen. It books up quick and the price is 600 bucks a day I believe. We have our family reunion there every year....44th coming up this summer
I second this location - try it. I've had some work-related functions with over 100 people there and it accomodates easily. Although parking can be a pain to get in and out - sometimes you have to park over tree roots and in the wooded areas if the big grassy parking area is all taken up. But the facilities are nice.

Last edited by erock11; 02-06-2012 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 02-06-2012, 12:59 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,153,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
The problem with doing that here is that they lock the gates and you can't leave! It's usually too dark and too far to walk with your stuff if you park outside the gates.
There has to be a way out. What if (let us hope it doesn't happen) someone had a medical emergency and needed to get to the hospital. I think that would be like locking the doors in a movie house, you have to be able to get out in case of fire.....

Might also check all of the state parks and COE land.

Also, FWIW, you might check out some of the state boat launches, like Farrington Pointe, on Jordan Lake. I don't know the rules, but I do know that it's a huge place and I'm pretty sure it does not lock. Not a great place for prime boating season, but I'd bet anything this time of year you could get in easy.... Just check all the rules and regs.

Also, there is a big COE-type place off big-woods road. And something else near Wilsonville. Find out who the "ranger" is and ask some questions.

Good luck.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:40 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,136,954 times
The gates are actually locked and there are instructions all over the place on what to do in an emergency. All of the NC state parks are like this. If it's an after hours emergency you have to call 911, who will call the ranger on duty to come open up the gate for them. But the gates ARE locked up tight! You can walk out, but you can't drive out. But walking out..it can be .5-2 miles away from the camp sites, and in the pitch dark, which is why I said it would be really hard to have 100 people there for a hot dog roast and expect them to walk out in the dark with supplies and all.

Last edited by lamishra; 02-06-2012 at 03:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary