Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:07 PM

140 posts, read 621,634 times

Advertisements

After just completeting the relocation process I had the pleasure of dealing with the NC DMV. I know there have been threads in the past that ask questions on these topics but I figured I'd consolidate the info in an effort to give back to the board that has helped me so much.

1. Getting your license:(assuming you already have a valid out of state license)

1st, get your documents together.
You'll need two forms of ID. One will need to be a valid state/federal photo ID like a drivers license. The other will need to be proof of your social security number. They only accept original paper Social Security cards, not the lamintated or photo copied ones. Orginal birth certificates work too. You'll also need proof of insurance called a "DL-123" form. Request this from your insurance company. Don't forget to bring proof of your new residence (phone, cable, utility bill) Oh by the way if you have a middle initial, the ID paperwork listed above has to list your full name including middle name.

2nd, Get ready to take your test.(only a written, vision & sign test are needed)
Pick a DMV location to go to. Raliegh is the biggest and even though busy they are well organized and you'll be done in under an hour. Cary is small, often very busy and understaffed...plan on being here for a while. I've been told Durham tends to be the least busy and folks have told me you usually get in and out in less than 30 minutes (can anyone confirm?)
Be smart, if you can, avoid the end of the month when it's busy no matter where you go.
Time to study, don't waste your time with the state provided 100 page book. It's a good idea to be familiar with state laws but your focus now is passing the test and that book won't always do it. Study this North Carolina Driver License Exam BrainDumps: Study Guide for the NC DMV exam website and you will pass.

3rd, Misc info
Cost for a standard license is $32 ($4x8years)
Cash or check only, no credit/debit cards
Don't be offended when they ask you to sign the Sex Offender disclaimer form. It's standard process.

2. Registering your car/getting plates
Same as above in terms of picking a location, just know that you can't get you plates at the same place you get your license. Licensing is run by the state, vehichle registrations is subcontracted to a 3rd party company. Ask the DMV officer and they will all have printed maps/addresses of where to register your vehicle.

1st, get your documents together.
While you don't need an NC license, it sure makes things easier.
You will need:
1. Proof of insurance called an "FS-1" form. I suggest you get this mailed to you at the same time as your DL-123 form.
2. Your car title from your previous state listed in your name
3. Your car current valid registration from your previous state (I was only asked for this on one of my cars)
4. The Title Application Form that can be found in the office or on the DMV website in PDF format.
5. The Damage Disclosure Form for used cars
6. Leased cars require a copy of the title and an orginal notorized Power of Attorney from your dealer/finance company that lists your name, Lease account# and the company's Tax ID number.

I can only speak from my experiance. The cost to register my cars here was SOOOooo much less than doing it back home in NH. Last year registering both my cars in NH with taxes, fee's ect cost me $800. Those same cars here cost me $250 total with vanity plates. Also my insurance dropped by about $400 a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 07:02 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,062,032 times
Excellent post, Machine Head. I'll add just a few confirmation notes based on my experience.
Quote:
Oh by the way if you have a middle initial, the ID paperwork listed above has to list your full name including middle name.
This is quite true and can be a problem for people with unusually long names (more than one middle name, hyphenated last name, etc). My husband's full name is quite long. His full name could not fit on his greencard (which he attempted to use as a form of ID). The people at the DMV turned him away because his full name did not appear on the card. He had to come home & get his passport.

Quote:
I've been told Durham tends to be the least busy and folks have told me you usually get in and out in less than 30 minutes (can anyone confirm?)
I went to the Durham office on South Roxboro on the afternoon of the very last day of the month (I hate tests & put this off as long as I could!). It was rather busy, but I still got out of there in less than an hour. The staff are very efficient and I found them to be quite friendly.

Quote:
Study this North Carolina Driver License Exam BrainDumps: Study Guide for the NC DMV exam website and you will pass.
I only studied this webpage and I passed with flying colors. There were a few questions on the test that I did not find on that page, but they were all very common sense questions that anyone with two braincells to rub together should get without a problem.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:06 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,173,593 times
Great help. DMV can be a real loser.

One more tip. Beware of lunch hour. As some staff depart to eat, waiting times go way up.

My daughter used to work at DMV.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:48 AM

54 posts, read 217,151 times
Machine Head,
What type of vehicles do you have?
I'm so concerned about the costs of registering my vehicles that I'm considering registering them separately even though it'll mean two separate trips to DMV.

Thanks.
Ell

Old 09-07-2007, 08:59 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,760,267 times
MachineHead,
GREAT Post!! Thanks! I just found this link
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/driver_serv...uirements.html

It lists some other docs you can use too.

BTW, I did not realize that I was suppose to get my license w/in the first 60 days of living here. Oooops! Maybe some of you are more organized than me and can make this happen.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:06 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,062,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
MachineHead,
BTW, I did not realize that I was suppose to get my license w/in the first 60 days of living here. Oooops! Maybe some of you are more organized than me and can make this happen.
Amongst the other standard questions, the worker at the DMV asked me if I have been living in North Carolina for 12 months or less. I have no idea whether there are penalties for answering "no". But still, that's a lot more than 60 days, so who knows how they enforce this.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:01 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,009,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEJ View Post
Machine Head,
What type of vehicles do you have?
I'm so concerned about the costs of registering my vehicles that I'm considering registering them separately even though it'll mean two separate trips to DMV.

Thanks.
Ell
The one-time Highway Use Tax (HUT) is normally a maximum of $150 per vehicle for newcomers to the state.

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Highway Use Tax (HUT)

Old 09-07-2007, 07:18 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,310,297 times
Just a heads up: There's a driver's license office in Wendell. I don't think wait times are particularly long, and everyone there was very pleasant. I renewed my license in July - the officer even made me laugh a few times.

Also, there's a license plate office in Zebulon, which is just down the road from Wendell. (It's actually not far from the Zebulon exit off 64.) Most times I go it's not busy. In fact, I was there a month or so ago at about 3:00 in the afternoon, and walked right up to the counter - there was no wait. I don't think I've ever had more than seven people ahead of me on any visit, and the line moves pretty quickly.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Great help. DMV can be a real loser.

One more tip. Beware of lunch hour. As some staff depart to eat, waiting times go way up.

My daughter used to work at DMV.
I persoanlly experianced this happening in the Cary office on one trip. Office went from 4 reps to 1 during lunch hour.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Amongst the other standard questions, the worker at the DMV asked me if I have been living in North Carolina for 12 months or less. I have no idea whether there are penalties for answering "no". But still, that's a lot more than 60 days, so who knows how they enforce this.
I was asked the same question and simply replied "only been here a month" They didn't bat an eye
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary