Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 08:51 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
Is the vanity plate a one time charge? In Massachusetts I screwed myself by getting one. I had to re register my car every year, instead of every two, plus I think it cost me more every time.

Is there any hidden charges?

Not sure how it is in NC but in VA the entire cost of a vanity plate was only $10 more than the regular plate--one time charge. Everyone had them!

We don't have vanity plates on our cars here in MA. It's way too expensive.
The one that gets me is the "low number lottery" or some such nonsense. It's not a vanity plate but it's a plate with a number usually under 1000 and then a letter. What's the point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 09:42 PM

140 posts, read 621,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
Is the vanity plate a one time charge? In Massachusetts I screwed myself by getting one. I had to re register my car every year, instead of every two, plus I think it cost me more every time.

Is there any hidden charges?
It's not a one time charge and you have to reregister every 2 years. The renew fee is an extra $30(Or so I was told) for vanity plates.

Also FYI I just went in to return the temp plate they gave me while I was waiting for my vanity to arrive and I heard an out of state person yelling at the DMV lady. Turns out as of Sept 15th YOU MUST HAVE A VALID NC LICENSE to register your car.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:45 AM

143 posts, read 708,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Your state DMV didn't give you a duplicate title with all the lienholder information printed on it?
Nope, we got nothing. We are coming from MA, can someone who has moved from here with the same situation tell me what you did? Thanks so much!

Old 10-05-2007, 06:55 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnj873 View Post
Question on the title, what if the car is still being paid off and the title is in the hands of the lending institution? Thanks!
To register a vehicle with an out-of-state title held by a recorded lienholder:

Furnish the current out-of-state registration in your name.

Complete the Title Application (MVR-1), declaring all liens, signed in the presence of a notary.
If the vehicle is less than 10 years old, you must declare an odometer reading on the Title Application.

Once a license plate is issued, the owner has 10 days to have the vehicle inspected in North Carolina.

A form MVR-57 will be issued and given to the registered owner to send to the lienholder. That form will authorize the lienholder to release the title to the DMV. Upon receipt of the out-of-state title, a North Carolina title will be issued and mailed to the lienholder.

Title Application (MVR-1) - http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/forms/vehicleregistration/download/mvr1.pdf (broken link)

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: How do I title & register a vehicle?

Old 10-05-2007, 07:09 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Not sure how it is in NC but in VA the entire cost of a vanity plate was only $10 more than the regular plate--one time charge. Everyone had them!

We don't have vanity plates on our cars here in MA. It's way too expensive.
The one that gets me is the "low number lottery" or some such nonsense. It's not a vanity plate but it's a plate with a number usually under 1000 and then a letter. What's the point?
Ok I know something about the low number lottery in Massachusetts. What was happening was only connected people were getting them, usually politicians. I think there actually was a case where the state politician had a registration of a low number plate owner revoked so he could take that number. Howie Carr, a local columinst and radio host exposed this scam.
So what they started doing was to have a lottery live on Howie's show. This was suppose to give the appearance that everything was on the up and up. Unfortunately (or fortunately for Howie) Howie's number was called on his own show...it was kind of funny.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:27 AM

31 posts, read 236,399 times
Default Longer than 60 days...

Does anyone know what happens if you answer yes to being in NC for longer than the 60 days?

Old 10-05-2007, 07:29 AM

143 posts, read 708,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
To register a vehicle with an out-of-state title held by a recorded lienholder:

Furnish the current out-of-state registration in your name.

Complete the Title Application (MVR-1), declaring all liens, signed in the presence of a notary.
If the vehicle is less than 10 years old, you must declare an odometer reading on the Title Application.

Once a license plate is issued, the owner has 10 days to have the vehicle inspected in North Carolina.

A form MVR-57 will be issued and given to the registered owner to send to the lienholder. That form will authorize the lienholder to release the title to the DMV. Upon receipt of the out-of-state title, a North Carolina title will be issued and mailed to the lienholder.

Title Application (MVR-1) - http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/forms/vehicleregistration/download/mvr1.pdf (broken link)

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: How do I title & register a vehicle?

Thanks so much for posting this. I will print out the form and start filling it out. We pack up and leave MA in 8 days!!!

Old 10-05-2007, 07:47 AM

169 posts, read 419,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
MachineHead,
GREAT Post!! Thanks! I just found this link
NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Driver Handbook: Chapter 1

It lists some other docs you can use too.

BTW, I did not realize that I was suppose to get my license w/in the first 60 days of living here. Oooops! Maybe some of you are more organized than me and can make this happen.
Took us 5 months to do it, oops! What we are concerned about is what extra stuff is needed to be done for a leased vehicle? Any idea? I need to go check out the website, we've been putting this off and her TX registration expires in November.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:56 AM

129 posts, read 671,107 times
[quote=jnj873;1658011]Thanks so much for posting this. I will print out the form and start filling it out. We pack up and leave MA in 8 days!!![/QUOTE

I too have a car that is being financed in another state..All I did was showed up to register the car with the name and address of the lienholder ( in this case, my credit union). I did not bring a notarized form or anything..The lady at the registration office had my husband and I complete several forms and signed , no notary. She then handed us the mvr-57 form to send to our lienholder . It was simple..I went to the office in Raleigh,in and our in 10 minutes..

Old 10-05-2007, 08:07 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Head View Post
After just completeting the relocation process I had the pleasure of dealing with the NC DMV. I know there have been threads in the past that ask questions on these topics but I figured I'd consolidate the info in an effort to give back to the board that has helped me so much.

1. Getting your license:(assuming you already have a valid out of state license)

1st, get your documents together.
You'll need two forms of ID. One will need to be a valid state/federal photo ID like a drivers license. The other will need to be proof of your social security number. They only accept original paper Social Security cards, not the lamintated or photo copied ones. Orginal birth certificates work too. You'll also need proof of insurance called a "DL-123" form. Request this from your insurance company. Don't forget to bring proof of your new residence (phone, cable, utility bill) Oh by the way if you have a middle initial, the ID paperwork listed above has to list your full name including middle name.

2nd, Get ready to take your test.(only a written, vision & sign test are needed)
Pick a DMV location to go to. Raliegh is the biggest and even though busy they are well organized and you'll be done in under an hour. Cary is small, often very busy and understaffed...plan on being here for a while. I've been told Durham tends to be the least busy and folks have told me you usually get in and out in less than 30 minutes (can anyone confirm?)
Be smart, if you can, avoid the end of the month when it's busy no matter where you go.
Time to study, don't waste your time with the state provided 100 page book. It's a good idea to be familiar with state laws but your focus now is passing the test and that book won't always do it. Study this North Carolina Driver License Exam BrainDumps: Study Guide for the NC DMV exam website and you will pass.

3rd, Misc info
Cost for a standard license is $32 ($4x8years)
Cash or check only, no credit/debit cards
Don't be offended when they ask you to sign the Sex Offender disclaimer form. It's standard process.

2. Registering your car/getting plates
Same as above in terms of picking a location, just know that you can't get you plates at the same place you get your license. Licensing is run by the state, vehichle registrations is subcontracted to a 3rd party company. Ask the DMV officer and they will all have printed maps/addresses of where to register your vehicle.

1st, get your documents together.
While you don't need an NC license, it sure makes things easier.
You will need:
1. Proof of insurance called an "FS-1" form. I suggest you get this mailed to you at the same time as your DL-123 form.
2. Your car title from your previous state listed in your name
3. Your car current valid registration from your previous state (I was only asked for this on one of my cars)
4. The Title Application Form that can be found in the office or on the DMV website in PDF format.
5. The Damage Disclosure Form for used cars
6. Leased cars require a copy of the title and an orginal notorized Power of Attorney from your dealer/finance company that lists your name, Lease account# and the company's Tax ID number.

I can only speak from my experiance. The cost to register my cars here was SOOOooo much less than doing it back home in NH. Last year registering both my cars in NH with taxes, fee's ect cost me $800. Those same cars here cost me $250 total with vanity plates. Also my insurance dropped by about $400 a year.

This is from the DMV website:

"Complete the pdf icon Title Application (MVR-1), declaring all liens, signed in the presence of a notary."

Anybody really get this document notarized? Is there a notary at the dmv?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary