Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 11:56 AM

46 posts, read 177,171 times

Advertisements

We have three people in our family that wear glasses, one is a child who has worn them since 2 yo and now 8 yo. Obviously, we have gone through a lot of glasses.

When we lived in Spokane, WA we used a great place called America's Best or twopair ie two pair of glasses for around or close to $100. This was great for our son and Medicaid paid in full at this location. Now we seek something similar for our son here in NC, Raleigh area, Louisburg, Henderson.

Can anyone point us toward the places or optometrists that can provide quality glasses without costing us hundreds of dollars? Medicaid does not provide the right kind of glasses for him, the len's are too thick, plus we have to but extra pairs, have many repairs. I like to have at least one extra backup pair at all times, something we were able to do in Spokane, but not since we have been here in NC.

Thanks for all helpful responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 12:06 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Try eyebuy.direct on the web.

Great deals.

Just be sure the doctor puts the PD (pupillary distance) on the script.

I keep lots of pairs around at their price.

Glasses come by mail in about 10 days.

Costco is good too. As I understand, NC law requires they serve you even if you aren't a member. Sam's club too.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:33 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
BJ's Optical will often have BOGO on glasses.

Limited selection, but sometimes I think they also go for 2 pairs for $99.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:45 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,774 times
We got fed up with the constantly rising prices of glasses and ended up at Sam's. Their glasses are just as good as anyone else's, but a lot less expensive. We don't go anywhere else now.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:35 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
There is no America's Best here and nothing like them. (In the past, I've bought glasses at America's Best while visiting my hometown in NY.)

The next best thing is ZenniOptical.com -- online only. You need to type in your prescriptions, and that can be a tad tricky. And you need to know everyone's pupillary distance; you can get that from your eye doctor. For kids' glasses, I've learned the customer service people are vital in helping get the correct type of frames.

You can also upload your kids' pictures (visible only to you), and they can virtually "try on" the glasses. That doesn't seem like it would make much of a difference in selecting the right ones, but it does.

It sounds like a lot of work, but the savings are huge. The selection of frames is huge, too.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:33 AM

699 posts, read 1,706,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
There is no America's Best here and nothing like them. (In the past, I've bought glasses at America's Best while visiting my hometown in NY.)

The next best thing is ZenniOptical.com -- online only. You need to type in your prescriptions, and that can be a tad tricky. And you need to know everyone's pupillary distance; you can get that from your eye doctor. For kids' glasses, I've learned the customer service people are vital in helping get the correct type of frames.

You can also upload your kids' pictures (visible only to you), and they can virtually "try on" the glasses. That doesn't seem like it would make much of a difference in selecting the right ones, but it does.

It sounds like a lot of work, but the savings are huge. The selection of frames is huge, too.
Relative has used ZenniOptical for years and swears by them.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:50 AM

46 posts, read 177,171 times
Thanks for all suggestions. We loved Best Buy. Anyway, we need the two pair for $99 if possible. These are for an 8 year old, very active boy. Even though he's worn glasses since 2 yo, he is still pretty rough on them.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:00 AM

677 posts, read 1,903,874 times
I use Zenni Optical and have been happy with them.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:20 AM

128 posts, read 453,125 times
Another vote fr Zenni. Me and my son have been using them for years now. I always order at least three pairs apiece for us both; can also order prescription sunglasses, etc. I love them and at their prices, it's worth trying out.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:25 AM

413 posts, read 878,085 times
BJ's has 2 pairs for $99 now. They have adorable kid's frames--colorful
and sturdy. I bought two pair last night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary