Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:36 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,238,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkc789 View Post
27520 is the other zip that would include Glen Laurel and points westward towards the Cleveland School area.
Glen Laurel is in 27527 zip code
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 10:39 AM

128 posts, read 217,330 times
THANK YOU so much for all the great info!
douknownam
thanks for the advice. Do you find Cary to be as congested as I have heard Wake Forest is? Are there affordable subdivisions that have the following for my family? pkc789 yes 2000 sq feet is about right minimum. How do you like Flowers? Many folks have recommended it for a young family and the amenities are great. What subdivisions would you recommend we look into for 3-4 bedrooms (or a bonus) and minimum 2 + bathrooms with a large yard with that square footage....trying to stay in the $200,000 range?

A lot of folks have recommended renting short term for 6 months to a year to get a feel for the area...can anyone recommend rental agencies for Clayton and surrounding areas? It makes sense being that Raleigh encompasses many different areas and so many nice neighborhoods to choose from. My concerns are (1) I have twins entering high school and want to avoid moving them to another school (is it possible in Wake for high schoolers to be moved every year if we wound up in that county)?? and (2) Whether the housing market will take a big upswing with prices going up and mortgages getting more difficult.

Would love to hear any experience &/or feedback any of you all have on this. Thanks in advance!

Old 06-02-2012, 01:01 PM

448 posts, read 851,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariposa10 View Post
THANK YOU so much for all the great info!
douknownam
thanks for the advice. Do you find Cary to be as congested as I have heard Wake Forest is? Are there affordable subdivisions that have the following for my family? pkc789 yes 2000 sq feet is about right minimum. How do you like Flowers? Many folks have recommended it for a young family and the amenities are great. What subdivisions would you recommend we look into for 3-4 bedrooms (or a bonus) and minimum 2 + bathrooms with a large yard with that square footage....trying to stay in the $200,000 range?

A lot of folks have recommended renting short term for 6 months to a year to get a feel for the area...can anyone recommend rental agencies for Clayton and surrounding areas? It makes sense being that Raleigh encompasses many different areas and so many nice neighborhoods to choose from. My concerns are (1) I have twins entering high school and want to avoid moving them to another school (is it possible in Wake for high schoolers to be moved every year if we wound up in that county)?? and (2) Whether the housing market will take a big upswing with prices going up and mortgages getting more difficult.

Would love to hear any experience &/or feedback any of you all have on this. Thanks in advance!
Check your DM, I gave you a recommendation for a rental agency in Clayton. We are renting for the same reason. We signed a year lease to see if this is an area where we really want to live long term. I really couldn't see buying a house, especially since I haven't really spent any extra length of time in the area. However, my husband is already there and since we have not lived in the same state never mind house since we were married, I was definitely not going to remain in AZ

Old 06-02-2012, 09:54 PM

azteacher721 I understand. Thank you for the DM. From what you have seen and heard...how do you see Clayton? Do you prefer one area over another in terms of schools & amenities?

Old 06-06-2012, 01:00 PM

81 posts, read 141,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariposa10 View Post
azteacher721 I understand. Thank you for the DM. From what you have seen and heard...how do you see Clayton? Do you prefer one area over another in terms of schools & amenities?
This is really a great thread you've started here, Mariposa10. We are relocating to the area, and I'm finding all of your questions very helpful. SO many things to think of!!

Old 06-06-2012, 04:04 PM

Thanks suzeeq72! The folks on this forum are really helpful and I definitely welcome any other information.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:53 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
I would rent for at least the first year. My wife and I stayed in Clayton for a little over a year. Within 6 months we thought we had identified the areas we really liked. By 8 months we found another area we liked. At 12 months we were loving another area. We moved into as cheap a place we could find that was in the best area for the price (3 bedroom=$750 month) and were able to save quite a bit of money towards buying a house.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:30 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redandorangeskittles View Post
Diagnoses of tickborne diseases are on the rise in the area. There was an article on WRAL.com (the Raleigh CBS station) about it earlier this week/end of last week. Just be prepared to do tick checks if you are spending time outdoors.
I believe this is not so much "in this area" as everywhere, this summer. A milder winter than usual always means the bugs will be worse the following summer, particularly those areas like us that usually get a few hard freezes in the winter, but didn't. An acquaintance of mine who actually got Lyme Disease from a tick (in the DC area) last year has been posting warnings on her Facebook about it since it is obviously an important issue for her.

I did read recently that a great way to get ticks off you if you find them is to put liquid soap on them (like dishwashing soap or hand soap); apparently it irritates their skin/shell and they let go (or are more likely to do so, at least).

Old 06-07-2012, 03:35 PM

Francois thanks for the tip!

Old 06-07-2012, 08:27 PM

223 posts, read 566,535 times
The tick and liquid soap thing has been circulating for years. If you google this, it will come up as a false claim and not really recommended...one of those urban legends that has been circulating since 2006. Just didn't want anyone to rely on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary