Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 12:58 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times

Advertisements

Is the issue perhaps that libraries in general seem to be investing more in electronic selections and fewer hard copies of books?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 01:24 PM

826 posts, read 1,933,097 times
There may be a point in this. Ohio apparently has an extensive collection of ebooks. Anyone with an Ohio address can access tons of books through a local library. I have a friend in Durham who uses her mother's library account in Ohio to download books to her Kindle. Got any Ohio friends?

Old 07-20-2012, 02:00 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Major being the operative word here.
Faith Bath Darling's Last Garage Sale is listed as being due in the CH library 7/30. Doesn't help you much - but thought you'd be interested to know it is "available."

Old 07-20-2012, 03:35 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
...But the librarians there are likely to be top notch, and doing the best they can with the budget they are given, so try to remember they are human, too, and be a little more forgiving of the differences between library systems.

Take a moment to make friends with your new librarians and mourn the loss of your old library in private. You will be rewarded!
Yes, the librarians have all been nice. My only complaint about the library is that they don't have a lot of the books that I want. I wasn't dissing the librarians, and I hope my post didn't come across that way. I am still getting used to moving from a big city area to a small town area, and need to make an adjustment in my expectations, including the library, which is like my comfort food.

Last edited by michgc; 07-20-2012 at 03:48 PM..

Old 07-20-2012, 03:46 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Faith Bath Darling's Last Garage Sale is listed as being due in the CH library 7/30. Doesn't help you much - but thought you'd be interested to know it is "available."
Woohoo! Yes, that helps! Thanks so much! It says it's on the new book shelf. It wasn't there when I looked it up a month or so ago. Just put it on hold!

Old 07-20-2012, 05:44 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
I think part of it is a matter of getting what you pay for and part of it is that most people can just go to Davis. In fact I would wager that Davis is largely the reason Chapel Hill public doesn't bother competing on the collection.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:25 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
I think CH Library carries what people in CH/Carrboro are interested in reading. They actually have a fairly large mystery selection to my view, but I'm not sure the Murder She Wrote titles are popular in Chapel Hill. If you suggest them, though, they may get them. They're really pretty responsive to patron suggestions. The Friends of the Chapel Hill library also make book donations to the library, Friends of the Chapel Hill Public Library , so sometimes new books or special favorites of the Friends make it into the collection.

I think it's not too fair to pick on the CHPL right now when they're down to about 1/4 or less of their regular size. The new library will be much larger than the old library and huge compared to the mall location. For all that, though, Chapel Hill is really a small town in a small county, and this is a really good small town library.

P.S. Chapel Hill Library has 41 Bill Bryson titles, just not the one you were looking for. Suggest it! Chapel Hill Public Library . I'm sure they'd get it.

P.P.S. Although I went to UNC in the Dark Ages, I don't know any families in Chapel Hill/Carrboro that go to UNC's Davis or the undergrad library for books.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:30 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
P.P.S. Although I went to UNC in the Dark Ages, I don't know any families in Chapel Hill/Carrboro that go to UNC's Davis or the undergrad library for books.
I agree - for those not connected to the University, this doesn't seem to be common.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:13 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I agree - for those not connected to the University, this doesn't seem to be common.
It might just be because I am connected to the university and have been since I was 14, and most people I know are connected, but almost everyone I know goes to Davis when they want something obscure. Their collection is terrific.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:03 AM

117 posts, read 263,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Thanks, Eva! I know I'm not crazy, but that's how I was beginning to feel. Wake County library system seems more like what I'm used to. Now, if I can figure out how to get a library card from Wake to get the first two titles (I've read the others), I'd be happy. My husband can get a card to the Alamance County library system since he works there, so I might look into that.

When I moved from Raleigh to Chapel Hill I had the same experience. I mentioned that I missed the Wake Library and everyone thought I was nuts, but most of the books I wanted were not at the CH library. Then I discovered paperbackswap.com and managed to accumulate a large stash of books waiting to be read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary