Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 09:06 AM

4,280 posts, read 5,938,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
triangle.com | Know

I plugged in our old street in Hedingham (liverpool) .. I clicked Raleigh... and changed the dates to 2001-01-01 to present. There are 31 hits. Then I clicked "show all incidents in surrounding area." 631 hits for Hedingham since January, 2001. This one popped out from 6/23/2008 - ASSAULT WITH KNIFE OR OTHER CUTTING INSTR.. and this one from 5/29/2007 - SHOTS FIRED.
I read this as an endorsement of Hedingham. Only 31 incidents in Hedingham (2,000+ homes) in 7-1/2 years, whereas there were 631 incidents in the surrounding areas!

I like the Hedingham neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 09:37 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I read this as an endorsement of Hedingham. Only 31 incidents in Hedingham (2,000+ homes) in 7-1/2 years, whereas there were 631 incidents in the surrounding areas!

I like the Hedingham neighborhood.
Actually, the surrounding areas was a search of the streets near liverpool (my initial street search) There were a few incidents on New Hope Road.. but most of the 631 happened in Hedingham.

I did a similiar search for Wakefield and came up with like 12 hits in the time frame... also a big neighborhood.. but one of the 11 was a rape... (some in Hedingham too) so I don't know....

The 31 hits (incidents) were on one street in Hedingham (Liverpool Lane) where we lived for 11 years. The incidents ranged from the strange to the serious. Surrounding areas pulled up other streets in the hedingham with a few exceptions on new hope.
We liked Hedingham too. So much, in fact, it took my husband and I many months to agree to list our home. Most of our friends have also moved on, citing various reasons for leaving east raleigh.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:01 PM

185 posts, read 575,814 times
Just browsing through the triangle.com KNOW link and have to say it would put you off living in the entire Triangle. No matter what area you ut in you get hit with hundreds of hits, just as you did for Hedingham. However when you take the time to scroll down the list the picture isn't as scary as you would be led to believe. Hedingham compares quite equally to areas such as Preston in Cary. WOOOOHOOOO Hedingham...........except our homes are affordable of course!

Old 09-21-2008, 06:11 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
I was on New Hope Road passing Southall yesterday on the way to Knightdale.

Saw quite a few homes with failed Masonite type siding and poorly kept roofs.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:06 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,728 times
Okay, to be fair the OP is about Southhall.
I went to the site again
triangle.com | Know

Modify "from" date to 2001-01-01 (important step)
Street address : EastHampton (one of the main drags in Southhall)
50 hits
Click " Show all incidents in surrounding areas" - this will pull all incidents in Southhall from 2001-01-01 to present (remember I modified the seach field)
257 hits.

Southhall is much, much smaller than Hedingham.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:45 PM

19 posts, read 51,855 times
Quote:
Actually, the surrounding areas was a search of the streets near liverpool (my initial street search) There were a few incidents on New Hope Road.. but most of the 631 happened in Hedingham.

I did a similiar search for Wakefield and came up with like 12 hits in the time frame... also a big neighborhood.. but one of the 11 was a rape... (some in Hedingham too) so I don't know....

The 31 hits (incidents) were on one street in Hedingham (Liverpool Lane) where we lived for 11 years. The incidents ranged from the strange to the serious. Surrounding areas pulled up other streets in the hedingham with a few exceptions on new hope.
We liked Hedingham too. So much, in fact, it took my husband and I many months to agree to list our home. Most of our friends have also moved on, citing various reasons for leaving east raleigh.
Are you saying there were 631 occurrences "in" or "surrounding" Hedingham since 2001? That just doesn't sound right.

In regards to the people who are speaking ill of Southall, I actually live there and I can attest to it's quality.

Saturnfan - what do you mean you saw "quite a few" houses with bad masonite and bad roofs?

I'm on the architectural committee. I know how many people are getting their roofs replaced and siding updated. Out of 550+ homes, there are perhaps a handful of homes that have the problems you've described.

For some strange reason, you've decided to completely over-exaggerate. I hardly think, passing Southall on your way to Knightdale qualifies you to know anything of the homes there.

As for the people disregarding Hedingham, it's your loss. Hedingham is also an exceptional community. If you are intersted in a large 2,000+ community, then Hedingham is for you.

Last edited by Ramona23; 10-10-2008 at 03:54 PM..

Old 10-10-2008, 05:31 PM

185 posts, read 575,814 times
Its crazy how people will initially post wildly inaccurate statements about communities they know nothing about. Then when their statements are disproved by the facts they resort to any gripe they can find with an area e.g poor masonite siding! I think the real problem with Hedingham and Southall is that they are too diverse and racially mixed for most folks. Whereas some people are happy to live in their communities alongside African Americans as long as their numbers stay below 10%, but when the numbers are running along something like even numbers of African Americans and Whites its tooo scary to even contemplate living in this type of community for some.
As a Hedingham resident I definitely have to agree, its their loss! Most definitely our communities gain.
At least we aren't too close to that horrific Triangle Town Centre mall with all its issues.............or is that just a wildly inaccurate statement???

Old 10-10-2008, 05:46 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelark View Post
Its crazy how people will initially post wildly inaccurate statements about communities they know nothing about. Then when their statements are disproved by the facts they resort to any gripe they can find with an area e.g poor masonite siding! I think the real problem with Hedingham and Southall is that they are too diverse and racially mixed for most folks. Whereas some people are happy to live in their communities alongside African Americans as long as their numbers stay below 10%, but when the numbers are running along something like even numbers of African Americans and Whites its tooo scary to even contemplate living in this type of community for some.
As a Hedingham resident I definitely have to agree, its their loss! Most definitely our communities gain.
At least we aren't too close to that horrific Triangle Town Centre mall with all its issues.............or is that just a wildly inaccurate statement???
I live in a very diverse area next to Triangle Town Center and lived 8 years at 5009 New Hope Rd.

The poorly maintained homes just stuck out as I passed the community on New Hope Road. I didn't go inside and develop percentages, but the poor maintenance was obvious as I passed by heading back from New Bern Ave. My father-in-law was an apartment super and some in-laws are contractors, so I automatically take notice of such things as bad maintenance.

No connection with the ethnicity of the residents at all.

Last edited by saturnfan; 10-10-2008 at 06:04 PM..

Old 10-13-2008, 01:34 PM

Again Saturn Fan--

You didn't respond to my comment. I'm on the architectural committee in Southall subdivision. You don't know what you're talking about. I regularly drive through the community checking on any violations and architectural requests. As I said earlier, out of 550+ homes there are maybe a handful of homeowners, who have moved, or been forcelosed on, or are renting the house or, who just don't care and their home reflects it.

However, their grass dare not get too high or they'll be reported, and Southall will have someone mow it and then the homeowner will be sent the bill. Even things like grass are important to Southall. So for you to say that there are all these homeowners with bad masonite and roofs, is just not the case. That may be an exeption but definitely not the rule.

I'm not talking about ethnic diversity, I'm simply stating the facts. The fact is that under your own admission, you've never even entered the Subdivision. You just saw it from New Hope Hope Road. You are not qualified to post what you did, as you cannot back up the claim that you saw "quite a few" homes with bad masonite and bad roofs.

That's just not true. I approve the new roofs and new siding, so I know it's not true.

And as for crime concerns, Southall is still a great community. We even have a neighborhood watch.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Okay, to be fair the OP is about Southhall.
I went to the site again
triangle.com | Know

Modify "from" date to 2001-01-01 (important step)
Street address : EastHampton (one of the main drags in Southhall)
50 hits
Click " Show all incidents in surrounding areas" - this will pull all incidents in Southhall from 2001-01-01 to present (remember I modified the seach field)
257 hits.

Southhall is much, much smaller than Hedingham.

Weluvewakeforest-- Thank you for your continued fear-mongering and misuse of crime statistics. This is after all how people win elections, don't they? i.e. by taking something with some factual basis, and twisting it to their own desires.

I don't know how you're coming up with your numbers. How are you calculating a total of 631 incidents in Hedingham or 257 in Southall?

Some of these incidents are taking place on New Hope Road, or better yet in the subdivision across the street, which has only been in existence for a few years.

From what I pulled up for Southall from January 1, 2001 to present (7-1/2 years), I see approx. 217 (not 257) incidents in the Southall surrounding area, 25 of which are not even located in Southall, but located either in other subdivisions or down New Hope Road. Since you don't know Southall, perhaps you are unaware of this.

Also using an incident list without specifying the type of incident is also misleading b/c the total incident lists includes things like missing persons, teenage runaways, simple possession of marijuana, mental committment, old people passing away in their sleep, attempted suicide, etc. These incidents are much different than grand larceny and vandalism.

From what I can tell a total of 192 incidents took place in Southall over the past 7-1/2+ years.

So overall, you're post is misleading. I have no doubt you are doing the same for Hedingham. I'm not sure what your motives are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary