Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 08:54 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times

Advertisements

Wish I saw this sooner. Tonight was "Firt Friday" in downtown Raleigh. Tons of art galleries open to the public with free wine & cheese - food trucks outside some of the galleries and they close off Hargett Street to host jewlery & craft vendors, have live music, drum circles, and fire hula hoop dancing. Mixed crowed with young and old, and plenty of people with their kids (they love the hula hooping).

Fire Hula Hooping from tonight

Sweet Water Ice (Italian Ice Vendors) set up on Wilmington Street

I would go to the Durham Farmers' Market tomorrow (Saturday morning). Great vendors, food trucks, live music. Great people watching. Then Sunday visit the Weaver Street Market in Carrboro and it outside and listen to the live Jazz music at their jazz brunch. http://www.weaverstreetmarket.coop/i...=83&Itemid=419

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 08-03-2012 at 09:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 09:25 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,452,172 times
Any kind of NASCAR of racing type events available?
I've always wanted to attend a NASCAR race and I'm sure my son would have fun watching a race.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:51 PM

84 posts, read 253,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! I've heard of this Allen & Sons place. Might have to finally give it a try.
I see there's a Beer, Bourbon and BBQ Festival in Raleigh this weekend.
Sounds like it might be my kind of scene
Anyone have any experiences with this festival?
Just got home from the festival, I don't know if you can really extrapolate a Friday night to what the rest of the weekend will be like but I'll give you my opinion since you're looking for info. I have to say it was pretty well put together, didn't take but 15 minutes to get our wristbands, glasses and tickets for food and whatnot.

The Blacksauce BBQ place was the best by far which completely explained why the line for it was so atrocious. Otherwise the lines for the bourbons and beer weren't anywhere near as bad as we expected. If there was a line at all it took maybe 2-3 minutes max. If I was a single guy I would go and camp out at the vodka tables as they had oodles of girls around them at all times. There are a bunch of other vendors too selling their wares, I didn't really pay much attention to them though.

It was even really easy to park and leave. We parked in the free lot which was a short walk to the gate. You can park closer but it'll cost you of course. I would totally go back next year, it definitely exceeded my expectations. I will add one caveat though, we just moved here from DC so we were expecting some sort of horrible Nissan Pavillion/Jiffy Lube Live experience which it totally wasn't.

There weren't even many super duper annoying drunks! Yay!

Old 08-03-2012, 10:31 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,452,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhippie1 View Post
Just got home from the festival, I don't know if you can really extrapolate a Friday night to what the rest of the weekend will be like but I'll give you my opinion since you're looking for info. I have to say it was pretty well put together, didn't take but 15 minutes to get our wristbands, glasses and tickets for food and whatnot.

The Blacksauce BBQ place was the best by far which completely explained why the line for it was so atrocious. Otherwise the lines for the bourbons and beer weren't anywhere near as bad as we expected. If there was a line at all it took maybe 2-3 minutes max. If I was a single guy I would go and camp out at the vodka tables as they had oodles of girls around them at all times. There are a bunch of other vendors too selling their wares, I didn't really pay much attention to them though.

It was even really easy to park and leave. We parked in the free lot which was a short walk to the gate. You can park closer but it'll cost you of course. I would totally go back next year, it definitely exceeded my expectations. I will add one caveat though, we just moved here from DC so we were expecting some sort of horrible Nissan Pavillion/Jiffy Lube Live experience which it totally wasn't.

There weren't even many super duper annoying drunks! Yay!
Is this festival going all weekend long?
We probably won't make it for tomorrow b/c we're flying in tomorrow and going to the Lynyrd Skynrd concert at night.
We might go on Sunday if it's still going.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:33 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
No NASCAR in the Triangle. Used to have some in Wilkes, but I think Charlotte and Rockingham are the only tracks left in the state. Not sure on that. There are some smaller races around, but not NASCAR. The Orange County Speedway is one of the smaller tracks, but looking at their website they don't have a race this weekend. Or

You could go to a Durham Bulls game. That's usually a good time -- The Official Site of Minor League Baseball | Durham Bulls Homepage .

Old 08-03-2012, 11:02 PM

84 posts, read 253,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
Is this festival going all weekend long?
We probably won't make it for tomorrow b/c we're flying in tomorrow and going to the Lynyrd Skynrd concert at night.
We might go on Sunday if it's still going.
It looks like it's on through Saturday evening. Maybe next year?

Show Info | Beer and Bourbon Festival

Old 08-04-2012, 08:38 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
North Raleigh Guy, did you try the Italian ice? I keep trying to catch up with them and missing them!

Old 08-04-2012, 02:52 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
North Raleigh Guy, did you try the Italian ice? I keep trying to catch up with them and missing them!
Not yet. But soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary