Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 11:35 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,923,224 times

Advertisements

Hope so. I'm installing geothermal HVAC soon too which should cut my usage by a lot more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 12:41 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Assume you are doing a well system rather than a loop?

Old 03-13-2013, 12:52 PM

Vertical well, yes.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:11 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,079,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Vertical well, yes.
Vertical well, but closed loop? 150-200 feet per ton of capacity? HPDE pipe in Bentonite/silica grout?

I would guess a "pump and dump" water producing well would be problematic.

I've been looking at ground sourced heat pumps myself but struggling a bit to make the dollars work, even with the Fed/State credits. Seems like the sweet spot is around a 3 ton package system with zoning. Unfortunately the ducts we have don't run that way ... so its a package in the crawl and an indoor split for the second floor which gets pricey.

Are you looking at a two speed scroll compressor/variable speed air handler? EERs around 27/COPs around 4.6 ? The new inverter based variable speed compressors look like the future, but I'm not big on being bleeding edge for things like HVAC.

DM me if you want to compare notes - especially on local contractors.

Thanks.

Frank

Old 03-13-2013, 05:13 PM

DM sent

Old 03-14-2013, 01:09 PM

Last post from me for a while - one last milestone. My first megawatt produced in a single 30 day period:

Old 03-14-2013, 01:56 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Vertical well, but closed loop? 150-200 feet per ton of capacity? HPDE pipe in Bentonite/silica grout?

I would guess a "pump and dump" water producing well would be problematic.

I've been looking at ground sourced heat pumps myself but struggling a bit to make the dollars work, even with the Fed/State credits. Seems like the sweet spot is around a 3 ton package system with zoning. Unfortunately the ducts we have don't run that way ... so its a package in the crawl and an indoor split for the second floor which gets pricey.

Are you looking at a two speed scroll compressor/variable speed air handler? EERs around 27/COPs around 4.6 ? The new inverter based variable speed compressors look like the future, but I'm not big on being bleeding edge for things like HVAC.

DM me if you want to compare notes - especially on local contractors.

Thanks.

Frank
Because there is a cap on the state credit, it is still cost prohibitive to drill. Plus the destruction to landscaping if you do not have much land. I was getting quotes of ~$50K for a 6 ton system to do all 3 floors and $32K for a 3 ton system to do just the 1st floor and basement. The way the math works, the state credits stop at $24K total price - after that point you are paying 70% of the cost. I couldn't justify the premium expense when the current equipment was still functioning or newer conventional equipment could be had for much less even when you factored in tax credits.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:12 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,477,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Last post from me for a while - one last milestone. My first megawatt produced in a single 30 day period:
I'll be curious to see how this pans out throughout the summer. If you look on the city-data graph for sunshine in Raleigh, it peaks in March/April and then drops off again for May/June/July/Aug/Sept before popping up a bit for October.

//www.city-data.com/city/Raleig...-Carolina.html

Old 03-15-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Because there is a cap on the state credit, it is still cost prohibitive to drill. Plus the destruction to landscaping if you do not have much land. I was getting quotes of ~$50K for a 6 ton system to do all 3 floors and $32K for a 3 ton system to do just the 1st floor and basement. The way the math works, the state credits stop at $24K total price - after that point you are paying 70% of the cost. I couldn't justify the premium expense when the current equipment was still functioning or newer conventional equipment could be had for much less even when you factored in tax credits.
My math includes both systems failing soon which is inevitable. Comparing the after tax credit cost of geo with conventional SEER 19 units (which admittedly are way high in price but still only 2/3 as efficient as geo), the geo replacement is within a few $k in cost and will more than easily save that cost delta in power savings in the first year or two alone.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
I'll be curious to see how this pans out throughout the summer. If you look on the city-data graph for sunshine in Raleigh, it peaks in March/April and then drops off again for May/June/July/Aug/Sept before popping up a bit for October.

//www.city-data.com/city/Raleig...-Carolina.html
That isn't a very good graph - it doesn't say what the data represents. Is that hours of sunshine? Sun intensity? We have no idea.

Look at page 1 of this thread and you'll see this image:

The Solar Est column shows the estimated production for each month of the year. The highest numbers are in April through August. This means on average, my best months are yet to come and we should see peak numbers even higher soon.

That graph is out of date for my house as it doesn't include the newer array I added in January, but I should start seeing months with well over 1000kWh of production very soon if weather is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary