Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 09:01 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,889 times

Advertisements

This isn't a "reassignment plan." It's an "opening new schools plan."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 07:04 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Here's the latest on the assignment plan for next year:

New Wake assignment plan draws board praise - Wake County - NewsObserver.com
Quote:
After years of bitter debate over where children will go to school in Wake County, school board members welcomed a new plan Tuesday that will move fewer than 1,500 students to different schools next year.

Assignment staff presented a plan that reassigns 1,479 students for the 2013-14 school year, the smallest figure in recent history for the state’s largest school district. One of the ways that staff is recommending keeping reassignments down is to place enrollment caps at 34 crowded schools instead of moving students out.

“The goal was to minimize reassignment, and this plan does that,” board member Jim Martin said.

The one critical note Tuesday came from board member Debra Goldman, who said Wake should have stuck with the choice-based plan used this year that the board’s Democratic majority discarded.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:54 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,168,057 times
Like I said, the county is growing, and they are opening 3 new schools? What are your suggestions for putting students into the new schools? Everyone wants to complain, but I'm just wondering what your ideas and suggestions are? Stop building new schools? Stop allowing people to move here? Only allow incoming kindergarten students to fill a new school?

Old 11-14-2012, 09:37 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,993,109 times
Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything here. I thought the plan was for a "hybrid" with base assignments and then some layer of choice on top of that.

But now I'm basically seeing just a return to what it was before...base assignments with the only choice being magnet options. Is that right?

Old 11-14-2012, 09:50 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,158,302 times
Wow Debra Goldman must be really short. Either that or Mr. Gainey has grown a few inches since he was my vice principal

Old 11-14-2012, 09:55 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,158,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything here. I thought the plan was for a "hybrid" with base assignments and then some layer of choice on top of that.

But now I'm basically seeing just a return to what it was before...base assignments with the only choice being magnet options. Is that right?
Looks like this is where "choice" comes in.

Quote:
• Creating a period, Jan. 7 to 14, when students who aren’t attending schools assigned for their addresses to request seats there for the next school year if there’s space.

• Creating a transfer period, Feb. 18 to March 1, when families can request to attend any school where there’s space. Transportation isn’t guaranteed.
So choice is directly tied to there being space at the school you want to change to. Which makes sense imo.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:16 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,993,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Looks like this is where "choice" comes in.

So choice is directly tied to there being space at the school you want to change to. Which makes sense imo.
Ah yes, thanks...I'd seen the first one, which is just about students being able to choose between staying at their current school from this year's plan or returning to their base assignment, but I missed the second item.

You can switch to a school with a different calendar and still receive transportation, but if you want to change to a school with the same calendar option you need to provide your own transportation.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:44 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,114,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post

and calendar options.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:18 PM

135 posts, read 269,439 times
Ok, under this proposal it looks like I can keep my 2nd grader where he is even though it's not our base school (funny, the same base school that waitlisted us during the choice process now has space, hmmm.), but it seems my rising 6th grader will be automatically sent to our base middle school (Carroll), which is not on his current feeder pattern. It looks like we can apply to try and get him into the current feeder middle school, (Leesville Rd.) which I would prefer, but it's dependent upon capacity.

So, anyone know which schools will likely be capped? Do you know of any that are over capacity? Is there any way of looking up this information, it would definitely help my nerves if I knew he had a good chance of going where we'd prefer.

I understand that base schools and capping makes sense, but as a newcomer I can't help but feel annoyed. The choice process completely jerked us around and now that we've adapted to our 3rd school in less than a year, it's changing again. I guess we moved to Wake at the worst possible time.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:06 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,114,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanieskid View Post
\

So, anyone know which schools will likely be capped? Do you know of any that are over capacity? Is there any way of looking up this information, it would definitely help my nerves if I knew he had a good chance of going where we'd prefer.
It's on the website.
http://www.wcpss.net/about-us/our-le...p-material.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary